Makes Sense

May I Mark Your Heart?

The ride to Mark's house was nothing but air. As much as Mark wanted to talk, I didn't want to answer. I just wanted to get rid of him and go home and rest. It has been a disaster tonight and I want no more of it. Though I am upset with him, I knew I had my lies as well. I haven't been fully truthful with him either. Therefore, I have no right to blame him on everything. Maybe if I was telling the truth from the start, this wouldn't have been karma on me. Now, the question is, when will I tell him every bit of truth that needed to come out? That was yet needed to figure out.

 

"Talk to me, May."

I only the radio louder so it'd drown out the sound of his voice. He told me the directions to his place, but I didn't utter anything. I only abided to his orders.  As we got to his home, he sat in the car with me. He wouldn't get out unless I did. The more I refused, the longer he stayed and wasted my time. Mark simply wouldn't give up because I wasn't talking to him. He kept at it persistently. I was impatient as ever and turned down the music, then the engine altogether.


"You're old enough. You don't need an ." I blandly said.

"May, stop this. Let me explain."

Before he could say anything, I got out of the car. He did too. I gestured him to lead the way to his door. I didn't want to hear him explain anything because I'm pretty sure I knew what he was going to say. The only way to shut him up is if I act like I care and walk him to his doorstep then dash back to the car and leave. Mark gave me a look and walked before me. He propped his door open and I turned away for an escape.

"Wait-" He strongly gripped my wrist, catching me in time before I could disappear. "We have to talk before you go anywhere."

"Mark, I don't have time."

"Well, make time." He dragged me into his house and closed the door, blocking it so that I wouldn't escape.

Since he wanted to talk about the situation so bad, I decided to obnoxiously bring it up first. "So the truth is you and Kimberly are dating, but something went wrong between the two of you and now you're using me as bait?! Is that so?!"

Mark was quiet. "Well, at least talk! Don't let me be the only one! You're the one who suggested for us to talk about this!" I sneered.

"Calm down, first. I don't want us screaming and yelling over each other." This is why I hate Mark sometimes. He's just so calm and good that it makes me look bad.

"How could you expect me to stay calm after all this?! Who is Kimberly really to you?! Are you going to keep hiding it and make me look stupid?! Your family seems to know all about her!"

It seems Mark couldn't hold in his temper. I pushed him to his limit. "What the hell, May?! Why are you making up all these stupid assumptions when you're not allowing me to tell you the truth?!"

"Even if they sound so stupid to you, they sound more real than everything you've been telling me!"

He pushed me against the door, his hands pressing on my arms. He was breathing heavily and so was I. All the yelling took so much energy.

"May, how could you make me so crazy for you?" He whispered softly, a total change of tone from just seconds ago.

I breathed, "Mark, just hurry up and say what you want to say."

 

His face was so close, I forgot I needed to breathe. I can feel my pulse increase. My heart's sound not only bang against my sternum, but through my eardrums as well. His dark orbs danced their way into mine. His mint breath sent cold chills over me. Let alone, his lips were being bitten by him. I could sense the rise in temperature. A moist pair of lips met mine within seconds. With my eyes still wide open, I could see the man in from of me dive in to steal a kiss. Mark's eyes shut at the scene and his head tilted to deepen the smooch. I held my hands up to push his chest lightly.

 

"A kiss doesn't solve anything." I wiped my lips and bit them. I was taken back by it.

"I'm-I'm sorry." He rested his hands against the door, trapping me. "I should've told you about Kimberly, but I thought if I avoided it then it would pass."

"So she's your girlfriend?"

"No. She's an ex-girlfriend, the latest one. I broke it off because it wasn't working out."

"Your family seemed very fond of her."

"That's because her family is wealthy and known."

 

It all came down to the social status and money. Of course it would be so. Why didn't I predict that from the start? I was tempted to spill the truth all to him before it ate me up from the inside out. I couldn't do it though. It didn't feel right, but when will it?

 

"So, are we on good terms now?"

I waved my hand to seperate us. "I don't know, sure but we can't be having feelings for each other. It's best not to get into it."

Mark stopped me, gluing his hands onto my shoulders for the second time. "Wh-why? May, why? We are good now so why not?"

"It's not because we aren't on good terms."

"It is because you're afraid to face Kimberly now?" His worried tone gave me chills.

"No, it has nothing to do with her. It's just I don't want to."

"You don't want to give us a chance?"

I heated up, "Mark, this is not giving us a chance." I pointed at him and me. "We aren't going anywhere. You only like me and I only think I like you. We aren't even a thing."

He exhaled, "You only think you like me?" He rolled his eyes, "Are you playing me?"

I found his words insulting. "Playing you?" I placed my hands on my hips, "Look, I don't have time to play. If anything you are playing me. I was sure when I told you I liked you, but so far along we haven't gone anywhere. I'm starting to second guess it. I don't think I want this."

"May." He sternly stopped me. "Can we just not go there?"

"Why? It's something we must address so that we can end what ever this is without trouble." I initiated it to continue.

"I like you, I'm sure. It's just I want to peacefully clear things with Kimberly."

"Well, you should've done that first."

"Give me time to talk with her."

"You have all the time you need. I'm done." I twisted the doorknob and walked out. That was all for the night. I was too tired of Mark. I was too tired of myself for lying.

 

----

 

Days withered by and work was never the same again. There was too much anger and heartache between May and Mark. They couldn't even bare to walk past each other, look at each other, or be in the same room. It got that bad.

 

Once work was over for Mark, his mother had called him to stop by a chicken factory to pickup freshly cleaned chicken for her to make her special chicken soup for dinner. Mark loosened up his tie for air. He felt like the whole time at work, he was suffocating from May. Being in his car alone made him miss her prescence, but he was also thankful to have time to breathe. He parked his car in the lot and walked into the factory that sold chickens that were ready to be picked up. The buzzer at the door buzzed and an older man around his 50s greeted Mark's appraoching figure.

"Good evening son, what can I get for you?" The man smiled with a welcoming manner, very warm.

"Hello sir, I would like to buy one of the freshly cleaned chicken."

"Ah, what for? Is your wife making something special tonight?"

Mark gave a shy smile, "No, actually it's for my mother who's making her chicken soup tonight."

The man chuckled, "A fine man like you, I thought would already be married."

Mark only gave a kind nod. He carried the bagged chicken, but since it was still raw and uncooked, the smell still lingered. He held it at a distance earning another chuckle from the man who walked around the corner from the cash register.

"I'll help carry it to your car."

Mark was hesitant, but the offer wasn't a bad idea.

"Just hand it over to me, son. I'm already dirty anyways. You have nice clothes on so let me do it." He pointed at his stained hardwork on his apron.

Mark thanked him and bowed. The older man was kind and Mark was thankful someone like him brightened his gloomy day. As they walked together to Mark's black Mercedes, they exchanged a few more words just like how normal strangers would. It was very comfortable even though they met in such a random way. As the chicken factory worker placed the bag of chicken into Mark's trunk, his notepad and pen slipped from his shirt pocket as his hand accientally nudged them. A picture fell along with it. Mark felt the least he could to for the elder man was pick them up, so he did. Picking up the pen and notepad up first, Mark gave it to the owner. Lastly, he picked up the picture that was faced down.

"Oh no. I hope it's not ruined!"

Mark took a look at it and saw a face he's been avoiding. Seeing her face like this made him feel fuzzy inside. Now, only if he had the guts to look at her like this today and all the other days. His thumb grazzed upon the face then zoomed over to another female face who appeared to be her mother. Then there was the man, the chicken factory guy, next to them. It was a family photo.

"Thank you for picking it up, son. It's still in good condition."

Mark had to ask, "Is that your wife and daughter?" Stupid him. Of course it was, but he had to bring up the topic somehow.

"Oh yes, my beautiful wife and daughter. I keep them in my pocket so it feels like even at work, I'm with them and they're with me."

"That's a sweet idea, sir. Your daughter, she's beautiful." It slipped unconciously, "I mean-"

"I understand. I think so too. She really took after her mother." He sighed, "I hope she meets a man soon and gets married off well. She really deserves the best, but she keeps refusing and wanting to live with her mother and I." He shook his head as he laughed lightly to himself.

Mark hand a million things about May on his mind. Who is she really?