Maybe a Chance

May I Mark Your Heart?

"Mr. Tuan, this is for you."

 
"Tina, I don't have time to read any proposals right now so please take it back." Mark didn't even look at the folder because he was too busy over his complicated relationship-friendship with May.
 
"But this isn't a proposal, sir. It's a resignation letter that I believe you should look over." She didn't want to give away much so that he can find out himself.
 
Mark plopped down in his black rolling chair and accepted the packet.
 
"Why do you want to resign?" 
 
"No, no sir. It's not mine." She looked around and made an excuse for an exit. "I have to go now. Have a good rest of the day."
 
 
With some attitude, Mark slid out the papers that were held inside. When his eyes landed on the bold printed name of the papers, he didn't even care to read the reason for resigning and busted out his office door already heaving as if he ran a couple miles. His eyes darted to the places May would usually be and made a run to her desk just to find it empty with her presence gone.
 
"No, no, no." He whispered under his breathe. "This can't be. She can't leave." The workers were taken back by his actions. No one knew why besides Tina.
 
Mark wanted to call May so badly, but his heart had too much pride to do so. He wanted to know she was also fighting the urge to talk to him too and not just him alone. He felt the need remain okay about her resigning even though it's driving him insane how she left without telling him, as if he was of no importance. Was he not important to her? He probably lost his rank in her heart after calling quits with their complicated relationship of some sort that even he doesn't know how to define it. Mark wanted to see her and clear up the heartache. He wanted normal, but what was considered normal in a situation like this? Questions were driving him up the wall. All he wanted was to see and talk to May.
 
Knowing he couldn't do a thing about it nearly strained his insides. Mark went back to his office and asked that the workers not bug him for the day unless it was urgent. In his leather chair, he leaned back as he loosened the tie around his neck. Peeking over at the resignation once again, all he read was her name. Something about it made him feel something. He patted the envelope and felt a small stack of notes. Looking at them one by one, he concluded they were his which he wrote to her. The memories poured into his mind. The words were now ten times more powerful. To pollute his mind even more, he took out the ones she wrote to him. Piece by piece he laid the side by side, trying to bring back the happy feeling the notes once gave him. Never had anyone wrote such magical words to him. As he matched each one, there was an odd number, a note that didn't belong in the conversation. It was the last note that May had wrote to him. He read it to himself.
 
 
Mark,
I couldn't bring myself to tell you I've decided to resign. I hope you'll find acceptance in me leaving the job sometime soon. Perhaps you don't find trouble in accepting it. I've also returned you're lovely notes that engaged with my thoughts. Because you wrote them all so beautifully, you have every right to own and save them. Keep them safe for someone who deserves to know your heart better. I apologize for all the misleading actions that happened. Let's not hold on to any, okay? Work hard.
 
Sincerely,
 
May
 
 
 
 
----
 
I had made sure I left before he made his entrance. I set my box of stuff by the door as I attempt to find my keys in my bag. Part of me felt like my lungs were finally expanded and filled with oxygen. Another part of me felt like my heart was tightening up with an unidentifiable pain of missing someone. It's barely been an hour since I left the office and I was already questioning myself if this was a childish move. Maybe Tina was right about me taking the situation between Mark and I too personally.
 
----
 
Couple days passed, almost a week has gone by and I honestly think Mark has moved on from the dying feeling. I still find it hard since I have so much free time to think now. He's probably so busy with work and hiring new people that I was easy to replace. Oh god, am I regretting it now? I shouldn't be because I was sober through my decision and I should remain faithful to what I felt was the best. It was time to look for a new job and be productive again, but I wanted a break for a little while and my parents were understanding of it. 
 
I was reading the newspaper to make time go by faster when I heard the doorbell ring. I opened it to see no one but a gift bag on the front doorstep. A note was stuck on the door in which I could've missed if the breeze did not blow hard enough to make the paper ruffle with noise. I picked up the gift bag and took the note in my hand. I set them on top of the newspaper I was just examining awhile ago. The note had a familiar handwriting.
 
Please take this as a reconciliation. Sorry that I crushed your heart the way I crushed your hair pin (refer to  hair pin incident in chapter 3). I would like to start from the beginning again if you'd allow it. Hopefully we can meet soon.
 
Mark 
 
I removed the tissue paper and indeed, he did buy me a new black hair clip that has some sort of floral design imprinted on it. He hasn't forgotten about me. It made me feel brighter knowing I still linger in his thoughts. Right when I felt the urge to call Mark, Jackson called.
 
"Hey, Jackson."
 
"Hey, let's grab lunch. Are you free?"
 
I couldn't lie to Jackson because apparently I am free and quite hungry as well. "Yeah, sure. When and where?"
 
"I'll come pick you up. Be ready in 10 minutes."
 
With Jackson's interruption, I couldn't help but think of where he stood in my life. He's someone from the past, yet I don't feel he belongs there. Jackson is someone special to me, but knowing he still has a place for me in his heart makes it all the more difficult. Did I still like Jackson? His patience with me is so gentle I feel like he deserves another chance more than Mark if I was to compare. I knew Jackson longer than Mark so if anything, shouldn't I give Jackson a second chance since he's been there all along? As for Mark, he's just the new guy that brought back some feelings that I've become numb to. Maybe I just need a break from thinking about relationships and refresh myself with friendships first or else I'll go at it all wrong.
 
A knock came from the door and the only person it could be was Jackson. I opened the door and saw....
 
"Mark?" I wasn't expecting him.
 
"Hey, I–I just wanted to drop this off too." He handed me a dozen of roses which confused me since I wasn't sure if he wanted to fix our friendship or our relationship that we could've had before the mess.
 
"What's this for?" I asked carefully.
 
"For you. I like you too much to just be friends." He sounded so bold.
 
"Mark–"
 
"Hey, Mark right?" Jackson's voice came into the conversation. "I'm Jackson, the guy from last time." He seemed cool about seeing Mark.
 
"Oh, yeah. Nice to meet you again." Mark's comment made it awkward just by the sound of it.
 
"May, are you ready to go?"
 
I took a breath, "Uh yeah, hold on." I grabbed my wallet and thin sweater and made a run to the door. "Mark, sorry but could we talk later? I want us to talk later. Maybe tonight?" I pushed us to the side away from Jackson for some privacy.
 
He looked hurt knowing I was off to somewhere with Jackson. Boy, this was a strange position to be in, in between to charming men that have some power over my heart.
 
"Actually, it's okay. I'm fine if we don't talk today or tomorrow or never again after today." Mark's words hit me with so much strength. Was he acting jealous again now that Jackson is here?
 
"Mark, why are you saying such thing?"
 
"I'm just the new guy who'll never win over the girl he really likes because she's still intertwined with her lover from the past."
 
God, his words flowed so well and hurt so deep. I glanced at Jackson who was already by the car waiting. I like how Jackson was always one to keep a distance if he needed to. He had good judgment of privacy.
 
"Mark, this is no time to be saying those things. I told you we could talk later, right? That means I want to talk to you, just not now. Can you please wait until after?"
 
"Why do I have to be the one to wait?"
 
 His question meant something much deeper, but I replied the obvious. "Because Jackson has been waiting for me too and I don't want to be late for our lunch."
 
"But can I ask you something before you go?" He asked and my ears tuned in. "Do I at least have a real chance with you?"
 
I was halfway to the car when I turned back to him, "You'll find out only if you call me tonight." I hid my smile as he stood there unable to distinguish what I meant.
 
 
I got in the car with Jackson and off we went.
 
 
Author's Note: THE END! What a weird ending right? I wanted something totally different so you guys can also put your own ideas into it. Thanks for the love, comments, upvotes, and subscribes! You all are a wonderful bunch! Xoxo
 

Shoutout: Did you guys realize the new story poster?! :D It's AWESOME right?! Thanks to @Justine_Zhang who kindly made it willingly without me even asking! <3 You are AMAZING, so thank you!