여덟 - Shoes

Deep

I pull my jacket tighter to get more warmness enveloping my body. The cold is no joke. I don’t even need to check the temperature on my phone just to make sure it’s below 20°. I look down to the water that moves as the boat passes, cutting the waves. I can’t imagine how cold it would be if I got drowned. Maybe I’ll turn right away into a cube of ice. The sky tonight is so bright. I can see so many stars above me and the moon also, it shines perfectly. I think it’s a good sign since no storm is detected.

After a while, I can’t stand the coldness any longer, so I decide to get back in, going into the place where my belongings are placed.

It’s already 1 a.m., April 16th and we’re on our way to Jeju Island, occupying the lowest deck, because it’s the cheapest of course. Outside my deck, I can hear the crews’ footsteps passing once in a while and the sound of the water splashing outside my window. But that’s it. No other voices. I think the other passengers are asleep already, so do my teachers and my classmates.

Here, inside my small cabin, I’m sitting on my so-called bed, cross legged with my mind flying somewhere. Luhan. Yes. I’m thinking about him. Actually, about that certain day when our love was blocked by something.

“So, you love sport?” I asked while eyeing the thing behind the glass window.

“Isn’t it obvious? I thought you know that already.” He gave me that cheeky answer. Hmm, it wasn’t hard to tell how much he loved football. Even though he was just transferred few months ago, he was already recruited by our school soccer team as striker. I’m not a fanatic fan of football but I know that striker is the ace of a team. So, he became the striker and always practiced every day. And also, he always ranted about football whenever he had a chance.

“Okay, so you want that shoes so bad because of your love for football?”

“Yep.” He smiled but then he hurriedly backed off. “But I can’t buy it now. I need to use the money for the trip first.” I could see that gloomy look on his face, however hard he tried to hide it behind a smile. Ouch, I felt a pinch of guilt since I was the one making him go for this trip.

“Seems like you love that shoes so much.” He nodded his head and then grabbed my hand before continued to walk.

“If I have those shoes, I will use them well and wash them gently with my own hands. I will place them near my bed so no one can steal my shoes.” This time, his sentence really irritated me. Wasn’t it too much for loving a pair of shoes?

I abruptly stopped and turned him to face me.

“You love me, right?” I said with a pout on my face. His shocked face turned into a smiley one with a hand ruffling my hair.

“Do I have to tell you about that, again?”

“If I and the shoes were drowned at the same time, which one will you rescue first? Me, or the shoes?” that sentence just came out like that out of my jealousy. I know, it’s so stupid to be jealous over a pair of soccer shoes.

He was silent for a while but I could see a smirk on the corner of his lips. “Well, if you ask me, I will rescue the shoes first.” I knew it!

“So you love your shoes more than you love me?!” oops, maybe my voice came out a bit too loud since people started looking on us.

Luhan put his arms around my shoulder and led me to start walking again. “It’s not like that. Of course, I love you more than the shoes. But you can swim, so you can save yourself, while the shoes? Come on, don’t tell me that this shoes can swim too.”

Stupid jealousy, huh? I know it’s hilarious. But the more hilarious thing is I’ve bought the thing that made me jealous. Right. I buy the shoes Luhan wanted. It’s kind of my apology and also, a birthday present. Have I told you that Luhan’s birthday is on April 20? Now you know. I’m planning to give him these shoes on our last day in Jeju, right on his birthday.

I put the shoes back inside my backpack with a stupid smile on my face. I’m wondering, how will his expression be? What will he say to me? A chuckle escapes my lips as I think of some expression he’ll make when I give him his present.

Knock knock!

My body jolts in shock when I hear a sudden knock on my door. I take a peek to the bed beside mine where Taeyeon is sleeping soundly. I stealthily get off my bed and walk up to the door and open it soundlessly.

“Hi!” that bright smile greets me in front of the door. I look up to his twinkling orbs and silently relieved that he didn’t come earlier.

“What are you doing here?”

His eyes dart through me. He’s checking on sleeping Taeyeon then back to me.

“Get your jacket, hurry.” I have no time to protest or to question him more because he pushes me into the room then close the door. In pure oblivion, I grab my jacket then wear it back before stepping out of my deck. There, he’s waiting for me, leaning on the wall. It’s like I’m seeing him at school, leaning on the wall, waiting for my class to end.

“Let’s go!” he then grabs my hand in his. That second, heat runs up from my hand to all my body parts, included that little part only he has touched. My heart. I take a breath and walk with him, wherever he takes me.


sorry for late update T.T i'll try to update faster for the next chapter ^^