열넷 – epilogue

Deep

You need to take care of your health, honey.”

“Thanks mom, but I’m fine. I will visit you this weekend, okay?”

Finally. Want me to pick you up at the train station?”

“It’s fine, I’m taking my car with me.”

Okay then. Drive safely.

“Hmm… Bye, mom!” I press the end call button and shove my cell phone back into my pocket. I giggle secretly seeing how my mom still worrying about me though now I’m also a mom of 4 year old boy. Not to mention, that I’m now married with a man she fully trusts.

“Who was that?” my little kid asks me with his big curious eyes staring at me. I pinch his puffy cheeks and kiss his button nose. He has his father’s doe eyes and also his sweet lips.

“It was grandma. We will visit her this weekend.” I lift him up and take him into my arms.

“With daddy too?”

“Yes, honey. With daddy too.” I nod my head and smile at him. He squeals in glee knowing that his father will come along this time. This simple thing sends fluttering feeling to my heart.

My life has never been more perfect before. Living in a big city, married to the man I love, and having this little guy in my arms. I feel so blessed.

“What is my little guy cheering over hmm?” I feel a pair of hands lingering my waist and a kiss on my nape. This guy. Always surprise me with little skin ships every now and then.

“We will visit grandma!” the kid cheers happily at his dad, which my husband replies with the same glee.

“Whoaa… really?” He takes the boy from my hands and lifts him up in the air, makes him giggles.

“Yees.. hihihi~”

He then turned at me and smile. “It’s been a while. I miss your mother and Ansan.” He says with a soft look in his eyes. I send him a smile and nod. “Me too. You rarely come with us to Ansan. However you have lived there before.”

“Well, I am a busy man honey.”I know there is more reason but he is so careful not to mention it in front of me. Yes. This one reason is quite sensitive for me, for both of us.

He giggles and puts the little boy down to play with his toy car. “So, when will we depart to Ansan?”

 

 

Here we are now, breathing the fresh air of Ansan. It’s not as suffocating as Seoul is. I really need to consider moving back to Ansan for the sake of my son to grow up healthy. However, I don’t think my husband will agree.

This afternoon I’m taking my son to a park near the school I used to attend. Well, nothing much has changed. I can clearly recall the old days. I used to pass this park every day to get to school. I can also picture my husband walking through this park with his old school uniform. His face hasn’t changed much and causes me a series of giggles. I just never really observed him in school day, I realize.

“Aww, such a cute kid.” I see a woman gets closer to my son who was playing few meters away from me. I get to her and smile. “Thanks.”

She looks at me and nod. “You should put an eye on your son at anytime. There’s a crazy man wandering around here.” Right after telling me the news, she continues to walk away. Ah, instead this town is still the dangerous small town it was.

“Mommy, let’s play.” He takes his ball in his hands and kicks it at me. With a smile, I play along with him and kick the ball way too hard.

“Oops, sorry, honey. Let mommy take it back.”

“No... I will take it back.” With a happy move, he starts to run cutely towards the ball. I laugh seeing his cute legs moving after one another.

My phone suddenly rings. I see the caller ID and smile, answering the call.

“Hello?”

Hello, wifey. Want me to pick you up now?”

“Sure. Done with the flower rack?” Remembering how my mom asked him to fix her flower rack because it was rotting, I can’t help but giggle seeing his face earlier. Being the only man at home, he finally agreed while sending me an apologetic look. I then decided to just go with my son.

Done perfectly. She praised my artwork.” I am somehow able to hear his cocky smirk.

“She always loves you.” I roll my eyes and start to look for my son. Where is he anyway?

But I love you. What should we do then?” usually I would say back to that but not this time since my son isn’t anywhere to find.

Honey, you there?” I stand up and start to walk towards the direction where ball went earlier.

“Wait, I—“ my lungs suddenly filled with anxiety as I see my son playing football… with a stranger. The man has messy and unwashed shoulder-length hair and unwashed clothes. Oh God! I hope he is not the crazy man the woman talked about earlier!

With all my courage, I run towards the two, hoping the man won’t hurt my son. “Byun Baekki! Come here now!” I yell out at my son. He looks back at me, shocked, so does the man. Without minding the man, I lift my son into my safe arms.

“I told you not to talk with stranger!” I scold him out of my worry. I can’t imagine if anything happens to my lovely son.

“Sunny…” I hear the man calls out my name. How could he know my name? With careful move, I look up to see the man, start from his one shoed feet to his strangely lean feature. My eyes widen in acknowledgement. No way…

The man smiles widely with tears flowing from his doe like eyes down through his cheeks. He is sobbing painfully loud and make me feel a crack in my heart. A crack that was created years ago is opening again and being fresh wound. With a fast move, he pulls me into his embrace. A tight one. “Where have you been all this time Sunny? I’ve been looking for you. I miss you so damn much.”