Small Talk

I Don't Care...I Think

NAMJOO'S POV

“Namjoo, can you talk some sense into your brother? I feel he's been very distant recently” said mom concerned while I was helping her clean up after dinner.

“Mom, you know I'll try, but I can't really be much of an influence. I'm younger than him after all. He wants to live the kind of life he's always wanted without having to please you guys. It's only simple that he would rebel and be resentful towards what you guys did.”

“When did you become so wise?” asked mom

“I'm not wise, I'm just able to understand and accept, you know” I answer brightly. “Now let's stop talking about Myungsoo...” I said.

“The man who is to have my Namjoo will be so lucky, I can't wait for you to find that smart gentleman. Good thing you still have lots of years to find a boyfriend” said my mom smiling brightly

“Oh..um...well I...I got something to say” I say looking at the floor my face getting red.

“Hmm...what is it Namjoo?”

“Well...I...” When did it get so hot in here?

“Namjoo”

I turn around to see Myungsoo in the doorway of the kitchen.

“What oppa?”

He throws a small black plastic bag towards me as I barely catch it. “Here, I got you this.”

“Oh and your face is red”

“Aww, you care about me!” I touch my cheeks to cool down.

“Nope, just stating the obvious.”

“Hmph...whatever I know deep inside you do, you can't lie to me!” I smirk at him.

“Okay” he says as he shrugs his shoulder.

“Hmph...” as I saw no other reaction. Gosh how can he be so expressionless. Whatever.

I open the bag to find a turquoise and magenta hair bow.

My eyes widen. “Thank you, Oppa! They're my favorite colors!! How were you able to find one with exactly these colors!” I smile widely, my eyes sparkling as I go to hug him.

“Some lady in the park”

“Oh maybe she has other colors!” I squeal.

“She does”

“Yah, why didn't you get me one too?!” our mom asked. What? Are you kidding me? Mom...please stop...We both looked at her incredulously.

“You're too old for these kind of things” Myungsoo said. I agree...

“What? I'm NOT OLD!” she said as she pouted. Oh mom just stop...you're not helping...

I give her a small smile.

“Don't worry mom, you're not old, but these are for younger girls. I'm sorry.” Giving her an apologetic smile.

“Let me go see how it looks on me!” I say as I skip to the bathroom and Myungsoo walks towards his room.

“Honey, you never told me what you wanted to say.” Mom said

Oh that's right...

“I'll tell you later! It can wait!” as I look at myself in the mirror with this amazing bow from Myungsoo.

I'm gonna have to tell them sooner or later...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MYUNGSOO'S POV

I go back to my room after mom made that childish scene. Like really, really?! I can't believe she did that. I can't believe she's a mother. She acts so childish and it seemed like she was serious. Sometimes, I question why she gave me birth. She's just too much to handle. Again, this goes back to my dad...why? Aish this woman is making me curious about her. Whatever I'll do homework now.

As I got my desk ready with all my homework, I hear my door creak open. I turn hoping it's not mom to see who it is.

“Myungsoo oppa” says Namjoo as she walks to my bed and flops down to sit on it.

“Hm”

“Thanks so much for the bow, it really surprised me after seeing that you've changed a bit” She says with a small smile that turns to a small frown looking down at my floor.

This is a first, she's curious about me.

Usually Namjoo would try to understand me and help me out just like at dinner today but I guess she's curious like any normal human being.

“No problem”

She looks up, her eyes looking at me, waiting for me to say more.

I've become anti-social, distant even to my family. I don't know if this is a good goal anymore, but I guess I can change only for her...

She sighs, defeated, knowing I won't say more.

She starts changing the subject. “ So do you..”

“You know I care for you right? I'm not completely heartless.” I say.

“Yea I know...I just wish you showed that you cared a bit more...”

“But I do. I bought you that bow didn't I?” I point towards the bow on her head.

“Yea, but buying things is different from showing your emotions” she stressed.

“What do you mean? I show emotion.” I say as I raise my eyebrow.

Sarcasm isn't an emotion, hate to break it to you.” she says as she crosses her arms.

“Pssh...of course I know that isn't an emotion. What do you think I am...a ?”

“Sometimes I do...”

“What!! Why you little brat!” I say as I start getting up.

“What? With your I don't care about life attitude of course you're gonna seem stupid. At least to me because apparently that makes you cool in school” She said as she smirked.

“I don't care about that, girls just bother me” I say as I sit back down on my chair.

“You know you can try to talk with people.”

“You know it isn't important to meddle into other people's lives.”

“In a way that's true but what about having friends? Having fun? That's important too.” Namjoo says

“I know that's important, but...but what? I have no reason to not make friends, I still have my old friends to hang out with.”

“You do!” she perked up.

“Yea, but they don't really talk with me since they're all busy doing who knows what and I haven't talked to them since 2 years ago.” I shrugged.

“Oppa, make a better effort to hang out with someone, have a little excitement in your life. Mom is right, your life is boring and you're still young, enjoy it while it lasts.” she says seriously.

“Um...Namjoo, you're younger than me by a year, stop being so meddlesome. You'll be in my position next year”

“I know...I'm growing so old!” she says with her shoulders slumped down grabbing her face.

I laugh at her and smile brightly.

“Oppa, you should smile more too!” she said as she started walking towards my door.

I saw her hesitate to open it as if she was going to tell me something more but she flung the door open turned to say good night and left.

Hmm...that was weird. It seemed like she wanted to tell me something else. Oh well now to do homework and then sleep.

I guess I'll tell him when the time is right. Oh I never got to ask him if I looked cute with the bow...