Best Friend

I Don't Care...I Think

Dasom looks at the ground as I wait patiently for her to continue.

“I always called her Ji or Jieunnie. She would call me Da or Somunnie. Although it sounds really weird, I grew fond of that nickname” she whispers.

“We would do everything together. We were inseparable. We were both daddy’s little girls” Dasom says as she smiled softly, looking at the ground.

“Our parents never showed favoritism because they loved us unconditionally and equally whenever they spent time with us.” This made me think of mother and her obvious favoritism.

“So, we never really fought over anything. We learned to love each other…to..to always be there for each other” I turn to look at her as tears fall down her eyes. “She was..very intelligent for her age, always saying the randomest but wisest statements.”

"She told me that she may be small but she will always be heard" Dasom chuckles.

"...and she always was heard. She stood up for what she thought was right even at such a young age. She didn't fear anything. She had the kindest heart, bigger than mine you can say...always caring for others."

"I remember in her first year of elementary, when we were walking back home we found a puppy on the street and it looked hungry and lost so Jieun took it home. By instinct she brought it home but she didn’t know how to take care of it so, as the older sister, I taught her what she needed to do, and we cared for it right away. Since it lived on the street I didn’t know if our parents would approve but they were just as generous and let us keep him. We named him Jida after our names. As we spent more time with Jida, she told me she loved Jida and would love to take care of all the animals in the world like a veterinarian. Right after she said that she looked at me with a big smile and said that I could be a teacher or a nurse because I knew how to take care of Jida and I taught her everything she needed to know. ” She smiles softly as more tears fall down.

“Jieunnie was very carefree, reckless, but she was kind and always had good intentions for others.”

Dasom's Flashback

"Somunnie, one day I'm going to travel all over the world!" Jieunnie says as she feeds Jida, who has been with them for 3 years now.
"Ya, are you gonna leave your family behind!?"
"Of course not, we'll all go!
"Where would we go?"
"Wherever animals are hurt so I can go and take care of them and then they'll be happy and live life to the fullest! Wouldn't that be great unnie!!"

"Yes of course, animals get to live life to the fullest just like people."

"Yes Unnie that's true! Everyone gets to live life to the fullest and if they are grumpy and sad we have to cheer them up! ‘Cuz being lonely is sad and may hurt others as well"

"Unnie we should both be happy makers!"

"Happy makers?" I ask as I put dishes away.

"Yes! We make people happy if they're lonely and sad and don't have friends! " she excitedly says as she clasps her hands together.

“Don’t you already have friends, Ji?”

“Yes and so do you but we'll be friends with whoever needs us and we'll prescribed them laughter and fun as their medicine!"

“You’re willing to help anyone, Jieunnie?”

“Of course! Our mission in life is to be nice and help others out Sommunie. We have to live life to the fullest as well and what better way than to help those that need us!” she claps her hands and starts making a list of what she would prescribe her “patients.”

"You know Ji, for being younger than me, you have way more ideas and goals than I ever will. Everyone will think you're the older one!!" I chuckle as I finish putting the last dish away as she stops her mumbling.

"But Somunnie"

“Hmm?”

"You'll always be my older sister that I look up to.You’ve inspired me to help others, you’re always helping me so I have to return the favor” she smiles as she lifts up her pinkie up as I look at it confused.

“Let’s promise to make everyone be happy Unnie, and always make sure we will be there for each other to make sure the other is happy, okay?! We’ll make the best team ever!” I laugh as I pinky promise.

“Ya, you have to promise me you’ll behave and not do anything rash. We’re in this together and need each other to be happy” I say as I give her a big smile as Jieun jumps up and down due to excitement.

“Yes, Ma’am!” Jieunnie says as she raises her hand to salute me.

I listen closely as she retells her memories when she uncontrollably starts sobbing.

“B-b-but she di-didn’t k-keep her p-pro-promise!” Dasom wails as she falls off the swing and lands on her hands and knees as I slowly go to her side to help her get up but seeing that she was still crying I stay kneeled beside her.

I wrap my arms awkwardly around her. She starts breathing normally after a while as she slowly gets up but stayed kneeling. She looks at me with empty eyes and continues telling me about her sister.

“Sh-she’s go-gone cu- cuz she was too ki-kind!” she leans forward and embraces me as she continues to cry on my shoulder. I didn’t know what to do. No one has ever cried so much in front of me and I usually just walk away when Mom and Namjoo would pout. But here, Dasom was pouring emotions that I have never experienced and don’t know if I will ever understand. I continue to try to comfort her but confused on what to do.

"Somunnie! Let's play outside with JiDa!"

"I'm doing homework, Ji. You should finish yours or else you won't become a vet!" I yell.

She pouts.

"I don't need to do homework to be a vet. As long as I'm determined to be one, I'll be one, right mom?!" She turns to mom who's in the kitchen.

"That's right Jieun, but you still need to do your homework. Or else you can't play with JiDa outside." Mom looks at her sternly.

"Fine. Somunnie, will you help me so that we can play with JiDa and do our job as happy makers!?"

"Happy makers?" Mom asks.

"Yes, Somunnie and I are happy makers! Our job is to make everyone happy when they're sad, lonely and need a friend. We're both helping each other always be happy!"

"Always and forever!" I sang.

"You girls are so thoughtful. How was I blessed with two wonderful girls" mom beams as she smiles at us.

We both turn back to our homework when we hearthe gate door shut. We run to the window thinking it was dad coming home but realized JiDa wasn't there anymore.

"Where's JiDa?!" Ji asked alarmed.

"He must've gotten out." I say.

"Oh no we need to find him!" Ji yells as she heads towards the front door.

"Wait, Ji you can't go by yourself!" I yell as I head to put my shoes.

"What's wrong, Dasom?"

"Ji ran off to find JiDa. I need to go before anything happens mom"

"I'll go with--" we both hear car screeches and someone yelling "JiDa!"

We both widen our eyes as we blindly run towards the noise, wishing that what we heard wasn't true.

There in the middle of the street was Ji hugging JiDa, both unmoving until we hear a whimper coming from JiDa.

"That was the last day I was with my best friend. The last thing she did was rashly save someone who she cared about without thinking. She truly had a kind heart."

"We all couldn't handle the grief. After Jieunnie left I was lost and unable to be happy anymore. I became so distant with everyone. I lost my friends. JiDa was there too but he too was sad with Ji's passing. Mom and dad blamed themselves while I blamed myself. We all thought that it was a good idea for me to go with my grandparents for awhile. While living with them and going to a new school, I was still the same. I was depressed and lonely the whole time. I couldn't be happy knowing my best friend, my sister was gone."

I sat there hugging Dasom, speechless on what to say. I felt useless. I'm unable to comfort her the right way. Maybe because I'm so heartless.

"I came back because I couldn't handle being with my grandparents either. They had way more pictures of Ji around the house and I had to sleep in the room we both shared when we would visit. That last day with them, Granny was the one that made me realize Jieun wouldn't want me to be sad for her, that she would want me to be happy and be the happy Dasom she looked up to. This made me cry of course because I had promised her to be a happy maker and here I was depressed and making everyone around sad. She didn't mean to break her promise so I wasn't going to break mine. I came back with a positive outlook and slowly started to move on after two years. My change started affecting my parents and they too thought it was easier to bear with the pain as a family and if we're optimistic we could do it cuz Ji was there still making us happy."

She let go and smiled at me. The first smile after the rivers of tears she produced. "Thats where you come along Myungsoo"

"Me?"

"Yea although I was unable to become friends with my old friends due to differences, that didn't stop me. I saw you one day and remembered you were Jongdae's friend but saw you were alone while the rest still hung around each other and I knew I had to take action as a happy maker because I knew the feeling of loneliness and depression."

She sniffed. "Its not a good feeling Myungsoo."

"So this is why I'm going to make you happy so that you live life to the fullest and everyone around you will be happy!"

I genuinely smiled at her and laughed.

"Why are you laughing Myungsoo?" She pouts, her red swollen eyes staring at me.

I took the initiative which, took her by surprised. I hugged her tight, not knowing what had come to me.

"Silly girl, you don't need to keep it all in and say you're helping me to keep yourself happy."

Dasom widened her eyes and wanted to let go but I held tight.

"Thank you for trusting me with your true feelings and in return I'll be your own personal happy maker and no one else's because that's what best friends are for though I'll never be able to replace Jieun"

Dasom couldn't contain her tears and silently nodded in agreement.

 





 

A/N: hello! It's been too long! August was very busy for me because of work and the new school semester, I'm sorry for any grammar mistakes as well. I had been working on this chapter for a bit and I hope it'll show Dasom and Myungsoo in a new perspective and hopefully a new turning point for both of them. The poor girl had been bottling up her feelings unable to tell anyone cuz she was doing her job as a happy maker. Thank you once again for reading and any comments are welcomed! Next chapter will take awhile to update as well but it'll be a happier one. See you next time!