New friends

I Don't Care...I Think

I don't get it.

How am a magnet to strangers?

I look at the other person. The note freak. The girl with short hair.

“I told you not to be late!” she hissed.

My only response was my eyes slightly getting smaller.

“I don't have to listen to you”

“Yah, Myungsoo I thought you would be nicer and respect a lady” as she crosses her arms.

“I'll be leaving now.” I did not want to deal with her. She seemed different. I actually thought she was quiet.

“Myungsoo don't go please. Let me ask you something really quick!” she says as she grabs my wrist with both her hands.

I look down to where she's holding me and coldly say “Hands off.”

She slowly releases her grip while keeping her eyes on me and says quickly “Let's be friends!”

I raised my eyebrows. Who's bipolar now?

“No. I don't have friends.”

“Then I could be your first one!” she says excitedly.

“No. I mean I don't like to make any. Stop bothering me will ya.” I say as I start walking away.

“Myungsoo remember I'm going to help you.”

I turn and look at her confused.

“Help me with what?”

“To find what makes you happy, silly” as she smiles brightly.

Right. This is why she had wanted to talk with me. The response I had given in the note did not satisfy her so she wanted to help and make me happy. I sigh, realizing what I had gotten myself into. I seriously am stupid.

“Look, I don't need your help. I'm fine the way I am. I don't meddle in your business so, don't meddle in mine. Seriously, people need to understand that nowadays” as irritation starts to get to me.

“But, Myu--” she started saying but stopped as her eyes widened and she shuts .

Confused I furrow my eyebrows and eye her weirdly.

“Hey, Myungsoo.” I hear behind me.

I turn to find Hyunsik smiling at me. I just look at him.

“Hm”

“What are you up to? Remember we need to hang out soon again!” he says as he gives me an eye smile.

“Oh” we both turn to the owner as she starts blushing and looks away.

“Oh I didn't see that you were with a girl, Soo” as he wiggles his eyebrows.

I'm so annoyed right now.

“I don't know her, she stalked me and now she wants to be friends. I don't even know her name.” I say.

She pouts and starts whining.

“Myungsoo, my name is Dasom, Cho Dasom! We're in the same class, we even go to the same church. My parents said we're going karaoke with your family.”

“Myungsoo, you got to be nicer with people. We can tolerate it but others may not.” Hyunsik says.

“Karaoke?” I say as I tilt my head trying to remember if mom had told me.

“Yes, thank you Myungsoo's friend?” She says as she looks at Hyunsik blushing in the process.

“Karaoke?” I still question myself about that when it hit me. Mom did mention something about that.

“Oh yea, sorry I didn't introduce myself. I'm Hyunsik, Lim Hyunsik. Myungsoo's childhood friend.” as he gives her an eye smile

She smiled brightly but not without blushing.

“I'm not going to karaoke.” I say randomly.

“Wait, Myungsoo I thought you said you didn't like to make friends?” She stared questioningly at me.

“Huh, yea” I say indifferently.

“Then how come Hyunsik can be your friend and I can't?” she says pouting. “And what do you mean you're not going to karaoke!?”

“He's not my fr--”

“We lost in touch for a bit but we're slowly trying to build our friendship again.” Hyunsik said confidently.

I stare at him in disbelief. This guy thinks he can say whatever he wants.

“You know what.” As both turn their attention to me.

“I'm tired of this. I'm leaving and don't follow me. Leave me alone.” I say as I start walking away.

I sigh and go back to the classroom.

Today is really not my day.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the day welcomes me with peace until I step foot in Cafe Blu.

As I start to prepare myself for dishwashing duty, Sungyeol comes by my side and utters a “Hey.” I look towards the piled dishes and sigh when I start to wash. Sungyeol by my side stayed strangely quiet. Not that I mind. But remembering earlier in the day I was somewhat confused. He had approached me earlier for advice and here was his chance and he wasn't talking.

“Look, I was thinking over about what I asked earlier” he starts. I spoke to soon.

“You're right, we're not friends. We are co-workers so we have somewhat of a connection. That's probably why I feel comfortable with you.”

“I'm not really asking for much it's just my girlfriend and I aren't really public about our relationship since she's mentioned her parents aren't really fond of dating at such a young age. I totally understand her it's just I want to get closer to her but I can't if I'm not fully accepted.” He says with a sad tone.

The guy is head over heels for her.

“Plus like I said you're the only one that knows since my parents aren't around and I'm an only child. I can't tell my uncle since I'm not that close to him.” He keeps babbling giving me excuses.

“I really like her Myungsoo, but she has this barrier put up. I know she likes me too, but just sometimes it's hard to have a relationship hidden you know.”

I felt pity for the guy. Here he is pouring out his feelings that he's kept in and he chose the wrong guy to tell. I'm the indifferent guy who doesn't care. Or am I?

“Tell her.”

“What?”

“Talk to her about your feelings. That's the only way she'll know and understand you.” I say monotonously as I keep on washing dishes.

“Myungsoo, I don't know if I should. She's already burdened by lying to her family. I don't want to burden her with my feelings”

“If you want to hold everything in that's fine. Mom once said honesty is the best policy. Relationships is all about trust.” I'm creeping myself out. I don't know what I'm doing. Help me please.

I inwardly sigh. I am seriously stupid. I keep putting myself into situations that I had avoided before. I don't understand why that's changed now.

“You're right I shall try. Thanks Myungsoo, you're such a good ..”

I hear him hesitate.

“...friend” he finishes as I turn to him to witness a genuine smile, different from his cocky smiles I always see.

I slightly smile knowing I just made him happy as I go back to work and respond.

“As long as you're not annoying, I'll let it be.”

“Huh?!” Sungyeol turns to me with wide eyes.

I turn back to him furrowing my eyebrows. “What?” I was doing so well.

“You'll accept me as as your f-friend?” he stutters out as I also see his eyes slightly tear. I didn't know the guy could be so emotional easily.

“Yes, don't annoy me though. I can always take it back.” as I turn back to work.

“Thanks man, you don't know how happy I am.” he says as he grins widely and gets back to work.

You're right I don't know how happy you are.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I was in a slightly better mood before. Now I'm not.

“What's up with the face Myungsoo? Not happy to see me?” the short haired girl asked.

I'm annoyed again.

“No”

“That's not nice to say to a customer, Myungsoo” she says as she pouts.

“Stop stalking me”

opens wide as she starts protesting. “I am not stalking you Myungsoo, I didn't even know you worked here. Besides this is my favorite cafe.”

“Anyways I want an iced caramel macchiato with a warm blueberry scone, please” she says as she awaits for me to write it down on the tab.

I sigh loudly. I shouldn't have come to work today.

“That's rude, Myungsoo. I don't think you'll get a tip today” as she opens a book.

“Okay.”

I go back to input the order so that the barista can make it.

I can't believe I'm a server today. My luck just keeps getting worse and worse. After Sungyeol and I became friends Mr. Lee came to the back announcing that two of his servers couldn't make it and his backups couldn't make it either and so he needed both of us to help serve in the front. It seemed ridiculous, it really did. I was about to refuse when Sungyeol said we'll both do it. I glared at him regretting that I had agreed on being his friend as Mr. Lee thanked us and ushered us to the front saying he would increase our pay for the day. I didn't care about the pay, I just didn't want to interact with dumb customers. And yes, the short haired girl fell into that category.

I got stuck with the right section of the cafe while Sungyeol got stuck with the left. Howon was the only barista in this shift and Mr. Lee was helping out with the orders as well. Sungyeol was a smooth talker so he had no trouble with customer service. I on the other hand had a few tables with no customer service experience and unfortunately one included the note stalker.

“Iced Caramel Macchiato and blueberry scone for table 8 is ready.”

Oh no, I was dreading to go back to this girl.

“Myungsoo, table 8's order is ready, go” says Mr. Lee.

I hesitantly get the order and walk slowly back to table 8.

“Here you go.”

“Thank you, Myungsoo. About earlier...”

I stare back at her. I've heard this before.

“I think we started on the wrong foot. I can assure you I am not a stalker. I don't even like you though you can be useful for something. Anyways I'm Cho Dasom” she says as she extends her hand towards me smiling brightly.

I look at her hand and contemplate on what to do. I've been making some pretty bad choices recently. I don't want to make another one.

You need to make friends, oppa”

Namjoo? Wow Namjoo's even helping me in this situation as I remember her little advice after giving her the bow. I slightly chuckle at the memory. I can't believe I'm doing this.

I shake her hand.

“Kim Myungsoo”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAEKHYUN'S POV

“I swear he was talking with a girl in the library. He was harsh with her though.” Hyunsik says.

“Was she cute? Maybe it was his girlfriend?” Dongjun asked.

“Yea totally that's why he didn't even know this girl's name even though they're in the same class.” Hyunsik responds as he rolls his eyes at Dongjun.

“You never said that” Dongjun pouts.

“It was implied when I said he was being harsh with her”

“Well it could've been a lover's quarrel” Sandeul responds.

“Ugh, well they're not together!” Hyunsik says exasperated.

“Baek, help me out here” Hyunsik pleads with his tiny eyes.

“What's her name?” I ask as I start drinking water.

“Cho, Cho Dasom” he says as I choke on my water from the familiarity of the name.

“Are you okay Baek?” the three worriedly ask as I nod to them that I'm fine.

“What about Cho Dasom” says a harsh tone.

A tone umistakenly as Jongdae.

I turn around to see Jongdae with a slight fire in his eyes and a serious face as Daehyun who was with him slowly starts leaving a bigger gap between the two as he munches on grapes and fears away from the wrath radiating from Jongdae.

“I think she knows Myungsoo and is friends with him.” I say.

“Damn it” he says.

I see everyone else confused and sigh.

“Jongdae you have to tell them.” as I point to the guys.

“Oh hells no, rather that be kept until my grave.”

“Trust them, they won't laugh.”

“I know them well enough to know they will Baek, I don't care. I won't tell them.” he says as he crosses his arms.

“Aww what is this secrecy between the two of you? Can't you please tell us” asks a pleading Dongjun.

“No” Jongdae determines.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It's late. I'm tired. I just want to go home and sleep.

I start heading home after the long hours of work as a server and still help to wash dishes. Mr. Lee better raise my pay for the day. Sungyeol and I worked too much today.

I chuckle realizing that I cared about Sungyeol as well. I'm going crazy. Why am I caring?

On my way home I stop by a mart since mom had messaged me to buy a few groceries for tomorrow when I come home from “studying.”

It's not that I care if my parents know I work but I know they'll try to stop me if they find out. It's the only way to make money and to be away from home for awhile so I'll keep it a secret from them.

I'm picking everything that is on the list when I feel a presence to close for my comfort.

“Hey Myungsoo”

I turn to see Daehyun. I keep seeing people I don't want to see. Why?

“Shopping for your mom too?” as he picks three white onions and puts it in his basket.

I slightly nod as a confirmation as I pick vegetables and put them in my basket.

“I heard you were talking with Dasom recently. Why don't we hang out soon with the guys?” He says.

I look up and shrug.

“It's been awhile seeing Dasom, quite different too if you ask me.”

I look up and furrow my eyebrows. He knows her?

He chuckles. “Don't tell me you forgot about her?”

Huh? Forgot? I just met her.

“She went to the same church with us when we were still in choir, you can say she was our #1 fan. Jongdae was her favorite out of all of us. I'm pretty sure she was stalking him and showering him with gifts. Got him really pissed and now hates her guts. I'm sure something happened between them since now he has a death glare whenever anyone mentions her and she magically disappeared for awhile.” Daehyun says as he smiles reminiscing the old times.

Realization hit me. The girl with the short hair had glasses back then and long braids.

Right, she was annoying. Still is. I sigh now regretting my decision.

“It's actually weird how no one remembers her other than Jongdae, Baekhyun and I. The other three plus you don't seem to remember her at all. Wonder why that is?” Daehyun ponders.

“She's gotten prettier, probably that's why no one recognizes her” he concludes.

“Anyways seriously dude we need to hang out. Tomorrow's friday, you free?” Daehyun asks with hopeful eyes.

I don't want to hang out with anyone, I want to be alone.

“No”

“Next time then, don't keep us waiting for long” he says as we reach the cashiers.

“Whatever."

“Oh yeah, Daehyun, tell Eunji to not keep Namjoo out too late while they are studying at your house. Dad got mad the other day.” I say remembering Namjoo say she was with Eunji the other night.

“Huh?” he looks at me confused as the cashier waits for him to take out his money.

“Just tell Eunji that so Namjoo won't come home late from studying.” I say again staring intensely at him.

“Myungsoo, Namjoo and Eunji are friends but Namjoo hasn't been at our house since their second year of middle school. If I'm correct they're both in their third year right? Eunji mentioned Namjoo's been busy recently with something after school and doesn't have time to hang out with them as much.” Daehyun says slowly and concerned.

I deeply sigh and close my eyes as I rub the back of neck from the news. I pay and grab the bags of groceries as we both head out.

“Thanks, Daehyun”

“No problem Myungsoo”

“Don't do anything crazy” he says as I walk straight heading to the direction of my house.

Someone got some explaining to do.

 

 

 

A/N: Hello All! An update after so long. I know it's been a large gap I'm deeply sorry. This whole chapter is a day. It seems quite choppy but I didn't want to extend it to the next chapter either. I tried really hard and I hope you'll forgive me and still support this story. As mentioned previously it will take longer to update since I'm working and going to school now. Yay for no free time! :( Anyways again if you have suggestions for improvements or any comments I would gladly like to see them! I will work hard to update more chapters as well and quicken Myungsoo's development. So, Thank you very much. See you next time!