A soft rejection

Finding the Missing Pieces

Miyoung

I stood outside the main door of the gym building, cleaning my glasses with my shirt.

He told me he'd meet that he wanted to meet me here today.

Aigoo, I'm so nervous.
What if he doesn't come?
What if he's just going to humiliate me?
I tried to call him, but he wouldn't pick up.
Stay positive, Miyoung, stay positive.
I looked up at the sky and told myself that everything would be alright.
But would it? Time passed and he didn't appear. My knees fell to the ground, aigoo.

Where was he? When school finished, I stayed in the classroom and dialed in Donghae's number.

"Yoboseyo?" "Donghae-ssi," I began, "Where were you today?"

"Oh-- I had a fever and left home early, I'm sorry~"

"Aww, I hope you feel better, you should rest, bye!"

"Bye!"

I walked out of the school building feeling relieved. Maybe I was overreacting about it. Why should I overreact anyways? It's not like I like him or anything. Time passed by fast. I didn't bother to call Donghae because of his stomache. I was so bored that I went to sleep even though I wasn't even tired. Ah, I hope Donghae is feeling okay. The next few days seemed to pass by fast, Donghae wasn't answering his calls.. In fact, he never bothered to call me. It worried me. He's not acting like himself. Hm... Like I even know who he really is.

On a Thursday, I sat at the field during lunch with my friends; Taeyeon, Sooyoung, Nicole, and an upperclassman named BoA. They all chatted amongst themselves, while I sat quietly, eating the food my father cooked for me the previous day. Ah, so much was running through my head.

"Fany Fany Tiffany!"

I snapped out of it. "Oh--yeah?"

"Oh, so I was right!" Sooyoung bragged, "When she was in Amercia, they use to call her Tiffany!" They all laughed, while I zoned out again, looking up at the sky. The bright sun reflected onto my glasses. Aigoo. What was wrong with me today? I wasn't acting myself.

"Tiffany!" Sooyoung said waving her hand in front of my face. My eyes widened and I slowly came back to reality. "What's wrong Fany? You look down today." "Anio! ~ Nothings wrong!" I fake smiled. At that moment,the bell rang; reminding everyone that its time to go to their next class. I promptly stood up, said my goodbyes to my friends, and began to walk to my next class. My eyes focused on the ground for some odd reason and I accidentally bumped into someone in front of me. Before I could look up to see who it was, he said to me in a threatening tone; "Watch it nerd, look where your going. Geez." My heart raced. His voice sounded familiar. I looked up and my eyes widened.

"What are you looking at?! Aish, move!" He pushed me out of his way and marched off.

He was Donghae.

I stood in the same position in shock for awhile.

What just happened?

Why was he so mean?

He called me a nerd.

The Donghae I know isn't mean. He would never threaten me like that.

I slowly walked to class, with a confused expression pasted onto my face. When school finished, I was still thinking about Donghae and how rude he was today. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get what happened today out of my head. Should I call him? I'm afraid that he'd be rude to me like he was today. Wait... He doesn't even know how I look like. Should I call him then? Aish. In the end, I decided to call him and talk to him.

Beep...

Beep...

Beep...

The beeping continued. He's not going to pick up. Right when I was about to hang up the phone, a voice was heard.

"Yoboseyo?"

"Oh yoboseyo!" I said cheerfully, "Uhm-- I was just calling to see if you were alright!"

"I'm fine!"

"Thats good! did you come to school today?"

"Yup! I'm perfectly fine! Well-- I have to go now. Bye!"

Many things ran through my head at once.

He's being so nice to me, but how come he was so mean to me earlier today?

Was it because of my nerdy appearance?

I flopped on my bed, thinking about my day, and not long after, fell asleep.