An encounter from the past

Finding the Missing Pieces

Miyoung 

I thought I'd take advantage of the time given to me to fufill my perfect Summer vacation, but somehow it flew right pass me that I couldn't even grasp it. Months passed by, I wasn't prepared for what was about to come.

Summer is about to end in 2 weeks. 

I watched the clock as it ticked. My eyes swayed with the minute hand; back & forth and  back & forth.

Tik tok. Tik tok. Tik tok. ; it went.

I held my sweaty palms together and prayed that the time would slow down.  

Why was I doing this?

Because I didn't want to go back to school. 

I just wanted to relax a bit more and take my mind off of everything that happened throughout the last couple of months. 

I layed back and stared at the ceiling for a couple of minutes then afterwards, glued my eyes to the clock ; making sure that just at that moment, time would slow down a bit. 

I got startled when my phone suddenly began to ring. 

"Yoboseyo?" I answered, yawning. 

"Fany-ah?!"

"Who's this?"

"It's Sooyoung, you fool!"

"Oh Sooyoungie~ Hey, what's up?"

"Let's go out today!" 

"Right now?~"

"Yes, are you busy?"

"uhm--"

Aish, what am I doing? I need to enjoy my vacation before it ends!

"I'm not busy at all," I laughed.

"Oh great! Meet me at the bulgogi store that you took us during our freshman year, okay?" 

Bulgogi? Really? -.-

"Oh-- okay! When exactly?"

"I'm already here," She laughed, "Aigoo, just come right now!" She hung up before I could even say anything. I slipped on a pair of new washed jeans and a t-shirt that was laying around. My phone began to vibrate ; 'Hurry!!!' Aigoo. Why must I hurry? What's so important. I shoved my wallet in my back pocket and hurridely rushed over at the store. Sooyoung was waiting in the front and when she noticed that I was approaching her, she signaled me to come over quickly.

"What is it, Sooyoungie?"

"He's in there~~~" Sooyoung softly whispered  in my ear. 

"Who?"

"Donghae~" She whispered.

My eyes widened, "Unnie!!!" I whined. "Why must you invite me here?"

"I have a plan!!"

"Sooyoungie~~~"

"Trust me on this one, I'm a genius!!!"

"Okay," I sighed, "What is it?

"Okay, we have to go in there first." She pulled my arm to go inside but I whined and refused to enter the store. 

"Come on, Fany," She let go, "It's now or never!" She walked in through the entrance as I followed in behind her, trying to cover my face. 

Donghae sat at a table, not to far away, with the same friends he had when I last saw him here. He hasn't changed at all; he's still handsome as ever.

Aish, what am I saying?~ I'm suppose to forget about him...

"Do you know how to do heimlich?" She whispered to me.

"Yeah," I answered confused, "Why?"

"Just follow along," She smiled. 

Oh no, what's she up to? 

I watched her from afar as she ordered bulgogi. Her eyes sparkled once again when she layed her eyes on it when it was done. 

"What are you doing?" I asked mockingly to her.

"You'll see," She laughed.

All of a sudden, in the middle of eating her bulgogi, she began to choke. 

My eyes widened. 

Is she faking it or is it real?

Donghae stood up and looked to see what was happening. 

Ah, I see, I'm suppose to look like the hero. 

She continuously coughed and coughed. 

A crowd began to gather around us. 

My body just wouldn't fidget. 

Ottoke~ My heart pounded. 

Now's my chance!

Just as I was about to do something, Donghae pushed me to the side and performed heimlich on her. I caught my fall and watched as he all of a sudden became the hero. I felt anger in my mind but my heart seemed to think differently. It looked at him with such a sincere point of view; it admired him for actually stepping up to the plate and helping Sooyoung.

What if she actually was choking?

Either way, I felt like a bad friend. 

The crowd applauded him and declared him as the 'hero'. He smiled and bowed to everyone. He suddenly caught a glimpse of me, staring at him.

I quickly turned around and ran out the entrance to my house.

Aish. How embarassing. 

I grabbed my pillow and hugged it tightly. 

Not long after, my phone rang.

It was Sooyoung.

I held my phone in my hands and tried to prepare myself for what she was about to say to me. 

Was she going to yell at me? 

"Yoboseyo--" I hesitantly answered.

"Fany!!!!"

"Yes..."

"Why'd you leave?"

"Because that was embarassing~" I whined.

"Aigoo, it's okay. I tried." She laughed.

"Mianhe..." I softly mumbled.

"It's fine!" She laughed, "It was definitely worth the shot."

"Hm?" 

"When you left, he ran out the door a couple of seconds later and looked like he was searching for you~"

"REALLY?!" I smiled.

"No, I'm just playing my little Fany," She laughed.

"Aish..." I sighed. 

"Hey, look at the brighter side...."

"Mhm?..." 

"Yup..."

"What's the brighter side?!" I whined.

"Oh, uhm," She laughed, "I don't think there's any.."

"Ahhh~~~~" I whined.

"Just bear with me," She laughed, "Everything's going to be okay."

"Sure..."

We ended our coversation a couple of seconds later. 

I gently placed my phone down on the shelf nearest to my bed, grabbed my pillow, and shoved it against myface. 

I'm so sad. 

---------------------------------------

Once again, I let time pass by. The next thing I knew; school was starting tomorrow. 

I tried to go to sleep, but I just couldn't. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't stop thinking about what tomorrow would be like. I could just picture Donghae looking at me coldy and bullying me. I could picture all of the upperclassmen still mocking me because of the humiliation I had to put up with last year. To be honest, I'm scared. 

I looked at the ceiling and tried tried to think positive. I slowly close my eyes and took a deep breath in; a deep breath out. 

I hope tomorrow goes well.

-----------------------

I woke up to my alarm going off. 

I took a deep breath in and one out. 

'Please... Make today go well~' I softly whispered to myself while holding my hands tightly together. 

After a couple of minutes of getting myself ready, I took one good look at the mirror and wasn't satisfied. 

I spent an extra 15 minutes trying to put on makeup but that didn't work out so well. A cloth was held in my hand, I forcefully wiped the makeup off and rinsed my face.

"Miyoung~" My dad called out, "Hurry up! School's going to start soon!"

Aigoo.

I look like a mess. 

Wooyoung 

I leaned against a locker and waited for the bell to ring. 

"Damnit, I haven't seen Miyoung yet," I mumbled softly to myself, "I hope she's alright."

I closed my eyes and tried to relax. 

"Hey!"

My eyes opened. 

A guy with dark brown hair, that stood about two centimeters shorter than me, stood in front of me looking like a punk.

"Excuse me?" I asked politely.

"Your leaning against my locker."

"Oh I'm sorry..." I moved over to another locker and smiled, "There."

"Aish.. You punk." He mumbled. 

I closed my eyes again and began to relax.

Foot steps were heading towards me. I was tempted to open my eyes but I didn't bother. 

"Donghae hyung!" 

My eyes widely shot open. 

Miyoung

After walking for 10 minutes, I finally reached my destination. 

I stood in front of the school, but I was hesitant of actually entering the building. 

I took a deep breath in; one out, and approached the entrance of the school.

My hands hesitantly shook as I was about to grab the handle to the door. 

The door suddenly opened and I got hit by it. 

"Aigoo..." I whined. 

"Oh I'm sorry~" The person apologized. 

I looked up to see who it was and it came out to be a really pretty girl with long black hair. 

I bowed and she smiled. 

Wow... She's really pretty. I stared at her for a couple of seconds then grabbed onto the handle and walked into the building. 

Aish! Why'd I do that? 

I'm inside the building already, I'd look like an idiot if I walked back out. 

A bunch of new faces surrounded me. 

I failed to find any of my friends so I just waited for the bell to ring. 

Once it rung, I walked to my new homeroom class and hoped that I'd see some of my friends walk through the door. Students who already were in the classroom chatted amongst themselves, I overheard someone say that the way how the homeroom system was last year, had changed this year. 'Whoever is in the same homeroom as I am would have all or most of the classes I'm having this year, with me.

I took a seat at the nearest desk to the front and waited to see who would walk through the door. 

Slowly, one by one, students entered.  

No one I knew entered so far. 

But then I noticed the pretty girl that I saw eariler enter the room.

We both smiled at each other and she sat behind me. 

More students entered.

No one I knew so far...

Wooyoung suddenly entered.

I smiled at him and he gave me a warm hug. He took the seat to my right. 

All of the seats were filled up except for one seat, which was to my left.

"There's one more student that's suppose to be here," My homeroom teacher announced while smiling.

Aigoo... I hope its someone I know.

All of a sudden, a familiar face entered through the door. 

My eyes widened and my hands reached for a notebook. With the notebook, I hid my face.

It was Donghae.