Chapter 10

Saving Prince Charming (Sequel to Saving Cinderella )
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tell me it's love. It's all I want to hear you say.
That we're in love, that you're always gonna feel this way.
No matter what, no matter when,
You know I'd do it all again.
Tell me it's love.
Say I'm the one.

“KyonDae ...”

“What are you doing here, father?”

“KyonDae, I’m so sorry. What happened was my fault. If only I didn’t leave her alone-”

“I don’t want to hear anything anymore! I want you to go! Leave now!”

“SoRa!” KyonDae called as her eyes shot opened and automatically sat on her bed, jolted awake from her deep sleep. She was breathing short, heavy breaths. Sweat beads ran down her face and her hands. KyonDae looked around the room, wide eyed, making sure she was back home. Her heart was pounding in ; as her hands clutched her blankets while her eyes still peering rapidly around her room.

She slowly closed her eyes again, still sitting on her bed and raked her hand through her hair, getting them off her face. She took deep breaths and tried to calm her racing heart that was pounding so hard it might break her ribcage open. Sweats kept falling down her face and she could feel tears running down her cheeks, as she recalled the painful dream that visited her that night.

The images of the people she used to know, the beautiful memories that colored her life once, the love she received and the love she used to give, the thunderstorm that came and took the rainbow away,  all were coming back to her that very night.

KyonDae buried her face in her hands and she could feel a heavy lump in . Hot tears welled up in her eyes, her voice quivered and finally the tears she tried so hard to swallow, spilt over and flowed down her face like a river escaping a dam.

She silently cried, all alone in her room and only accompanied by the moon and stars as she began to hear her breaking heart repeatedly, as the cruel and painful memories haunted her again.

Still with tears that showed no sign to stop flowing, she rose from her bed and went to her study table, where her baby sister’s picture was placed. She slowly reached for the frame and held it so tenderly as if it was a piece of diamond. She hugged the picture lovingly and walked towards the sliding window of her room where her knees gave in, as she stared straight into the open night sky where stars were twinkling and the moon was clearly in her field of vision.

“SoRa ah, I miss you.” She said in a shivering voice. Her thoughts then went out to her father, whom she had not heard of for many months. She sighed as she remembered their last meeting that was at SoRa’s grave. KyonDae sent her father away as she was too angry with him because he was the reason for SoRa’s death. She told him she did not want to see him anymore.

Still, the man was her father. Her outburst at SoRa’s grave was due to overpowering grieve that had taken her over and seeing DaeHo’s face only reminded her of her foolishness for leaving SoRa alone at home with him while she went searching for her biological mother.

No matter how mad she was at DaeHo, a part of her still loved him and nothing will change the fact that he was her and SoRa’s father.

“Can we really move on, father, from the love we left behind?” She whispered, as she looked up, somehow hoping to get some answers from the sky.

KyonDae leaned her head against the cold sliding door, as she hugged the frame tighter and tighter, hoping it would ease her longing for her baby sister at least a little. As the darkness of the night went thicker, KyonDae fell asleep again, with tears wetting her face and her hands embracing her sister’s picture.

The morning came and before everyone in the household woke up, KyonDae was already out of the house. She was walking alone on the pavements with hands in her jacket’s pocket, her eyes staring blankly on the road. Her eyes felt a little sore due to the crying when she woke up and hence she decided to go out for a walk, hoping she could compose herself.

Minutes passed without KyonDae realizing as she found herself in a garden, the one she used to go a couple of times with MyungSoo about a year ago. It was where she cried her eyes out and MyungSoo was there to comfort her each time.

KyonDae walked aimlessly around the garden, alongside the lake as she breathed in the air that brought calmness to her troubled heart. She closed her eyes as she stopped walking, abruptly standing at her spot, and let nature for a long moment, silenced everything inside her.

“KyonDae.” Someone called her and KyonDae’s eyes opened. She knew that voice very well. It had been so long but the memory of it still lingered in her mind. KyonDae was hesitated to turn and face him, as she did not know what would happen to her. Will she break down there and then? Nevertheless, she knew too that no matter what she will still have to face him and there was no escape in this now that he found her.

With a heavy breath, she slowly turned, only to see DaeHo looking at her gently with longing and yearning in his eyes. KyonDae was lost for words, as she did not see this coming. She was staring blankly at her father as she tried to recall his features. DaeHo looked different from how he used to look years back.

KyonDae still remembered her father who always smelled of alcohols and smokes, and he was always drunk every time he got home. Now, he was not even close to the old DaeHo at all. He now looked much more presentable and easier to approach.

“How have you been?” DaeHo asked, breaking the silence. KyonDae blinked for a while before staring at her feet. “I … I’m fine.” She slowly looked up at her father. “You?”

DaeHo smiled genuinely at her hearing her reply, “I’m well too. Do you ... do you mind if we have a little talk? Here’s fine.” DaeHo said and KyonDae only nodded. The both of them sat on the grass but with a good distance that separated them. KyonDae only stared at the grass and occasionally pulled them out, waiting for her father to begin the conversation. To think of it again, they never had a decent conversation between them before. This would be the second time actually as the first time was when DaeHo told her who her mother was and urged KyonDae to look for her.

Awkward silence filled the conversation until DaeHo spoke, “Have you found your mother?”

KyonDae stopped pulling the grass and looked up to him. She nodded and said, “I have. The day the house was on fire. I am staying with her now. She’s very nice and beautiful.”

DaeHo smiled as he recalled EunJung’s face. It had been 18 years since the last he saw the love of his life. Their love was forbidden since the very beginning but never for once, even after 18 years, that EunJung left his heart. His love for her never faded and only grew stronger as years went by. “She forever is.” DaeHo said, agreeing with KyonDae. "All my life, she's the most beautiful woman I've ever met. When the first I saw her, I knew I had to have her. But sadly, I … I destroyed her life in the first place before she could actually develop any feelings for me." He chuckled.

KyonDae could see in her father’s eyes that he was yearning for her mother as they talked about EunJung. She saw the same look in L.Joe, MyungHee and MyungSoo’s eyes when they pondered over SoRa. She had never seen her father looked like that and she immediately knew how much her mother meant to him. “Don’t you want to see her? She would really love to see you too.” KyonDae suggested.

DaeHo shook his head with a smile, “No can do, love. It’s better if I don’t.”

KyonDae frowned and tilted her head. Not understanding the problem of why her father did not want to see her mother again. “Why not? You miss her. I can see that. I bet mother misses you too. I’ve never heard of her having a boyfriend or planning to get married to other men.”

DaeHo chuckled at her statement and explained. “Regardless of the fact that she doesn’t want to get married doesn’t mean that she misses me too. It has been 18 years, KyonDae. Almost 20 if you add the couple of years we knew each other as well. It was that long and I doubt that she will want to see me again. I ruined her life, KyonDae. In addition, I was the reason why she was separated with her newborn baby. Our love was a mistake to begin with,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter