Twenty

Vindictive People!!

Youngjae hummed as he dusted his sofa. It was a peaceful saturday morning,yet he knew that it would be destroyed in the evening with the arrival of the goons as he calls them who had planned a sleepover. Therefore, he had decided to utilize his time doing what he likes.

Cleaning..

After dusting, he had to vacuum the carpets, after that he had to fix everything broken around the house, then oil the noisy doors, weed the garden, plant new things in the garden,water the garden... That's just the beginning. Ah. What a great way to start the weekend..he thought smiling smugly and tightening an apron around his waist sassily.

The doorbell rang just when Youngjae had positioned a chair near his bookcase to clean the shelves he couldn't reach. Smile turning into a frown, the boy stomped to the door, anger rising as the caller kept ringing. 

''What?!!'' said Youngjae flinging the door open. A man was observing his house creepily. ''Hello. Here's the cow you ordered..'' said the man pointing a little way off and Youngjae looked at the direction the man was pointing to see a brown and black cow blinking sleepily. ''I DID NOT ORDER A COW!!! TAKE IT AWAY!!'' screamed Youngjae furiously eyes shooting fire at the delivery man who shrugged. ''Too bad.''

''WHAT NONSENSE!! I WILL TAKE LEGAL ACTION!!'' 

''Too bad''

''WHAT? DO YOU NOT KNOW ANY OTHER WORDS? IS YOUR VOCABULARY THAT NARROW?''

''Too... bad.''

The cow mooed and Youngjae's attention went to it to see it munching on his flower bed

''Hey!! Stop that this instant!!!'' he yelled at it as he marched towards the cow angrily. It looked up with its huge eyes,then continued having its snack. ''I never ordered a cow! You got the wrong address! Now take it away!'' said Youngjae stomping towards the delivery man who took a few steps back. ''No no. Look'' he said showing Youngjae a document. Right at the bottom was signed, M.J

''I'm Yoo Youngjae... YY. Not MJ.'' sighed Youngjae in exasperation. The delivery man shrugged. ''I dunno. M.J , Youngjae.. it sounds the same? And this was the address given sir. Orders are orders. You can do whatever you want with the cow now..'' he said showing him the address on the document which was indeed his.

''But wait!! I can't afford to look after a cow!'' yelled Youngjae as the man hurried to his lorry. ''Too bad..'' he said and drove off hurriedly. ''Uuuurgh!!!!'' growled Youngjae fists balling as he glared at the cow angrily. It mooed and went towards another flower bed, dropping blobs of dung with each step it took. Youngjae went inside and picked up the phone, punching in several numbers.

''Daehyun. There will be no sleepover today. I have some major cow issues to take care of'' he said officially. ''Moo..'' agreed the cow, dropping a blob of dung on the rug at the front door before it stepped on it and made its way inside.

************************************

Yongguk was sleeping peacefully, dreaming of world domination when suddenly a huge boulder landed on him. He gasped and struggled, trying to crawl from under it but to no avail. The boulder began to lift up and he sighed in relief but it came crashing down again. He felt like a tomato being pounded onto by a mountain.

With a start, he got up panting. Regaining his breath he groaned at his stupidity and decided to go back to sleep, except he felt watched. A sudden movement caught his attention and he looked down his duvet and yelped as Daehyun lay across his legs horizontally, resting back on his elbows and blinked at him calmly. 

''What the are you doing in my room?!!'' asked Yongguk gaping ''Oh i wanted to wake you up'' shrugged Daehyun hopping off the bed and sitting on the edge of it instead. Yongguk sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. Damn this fatass hasn't changed at all.. Except he's still heavy. Which doesn't really make sense when he has gone down. thought Yongguk momentarily forgetting Daehyun's presence, until said boy sneezed and wiped his nose on Yongguk's duvet.

''Don't make me cut your nose off fatass. Anyway, we are not 10 years anymore. Stop coming into my room almost every ing morning to wake me..'' he said and snuggled under the duvet again. '' I wont say stop swearing.. I must adapt'' said Daehyun breathing in trying to calm down. Yongguk rolled his eyes pulling the duvet over his head.

''Ok I didn't exactly come to wake you up.. Youngjae cancelled the sleepover so I'm bored now'' sighed Daehyun moodily. Yongguk ignored him. ''Wait what'' he asked sitting up again. '' He cancelled it?'' Yongguk asked fully alert now. Daehyun nodded. ''He has some cow problem.. I think he meant a big problem. As big as a cow.'' said Daehyun solemnly. Yongguk didn't even bother giving him a snarky comment as thoughts raced through his head. Somehow he felt a little happy.

''Oh well that I guess. Now shoo. I need to sleep.'' he said burying himself under the duvet again. ''Noo!!'' said Daehyun pouncing on the lump who groaned in exasperation. Daehyun made himself comfortable on the lump and sighed at the ceiling. ''Lets hang out'' he said finally after a pause.

No reply.

''Yongguk?'' he said.

No reply.

''Yongguk? Yonguuuuk?'' he continued as he to his belly and raised a bit of the duvet and peeped inside. '' Pssssst. Lets hang out'' he whispered. ''Shut up'' came the bored reply from the lump.

''If we hang out, can we go buy that cheesecake I've been eyeing for a while?'' he asked. ''You want me to buy it for you..'' grumbled Yongguk. ''Well..I'm kinda broke.'' said Daehyun sighing. ''That ing thing is too expensive. It's not gonna be worth the price.'' hissed Yongguk as Daehyun bounced on him. 

''Come onnnnnnn. It won't hurt to try'' whined Daehuyn, his annoying self coming out. ''That shop is for rich people to waste money in fatass. If you want I'll buy you an ice cream which is cheap and delicious'' said Yongguk sleepily.

''But you buy the cheapest one.. Which barely has any ice cream on it. Come on!! I buy you food when I have money, so you should return the favour'' said Daehyun picking on the duvet. He groaned when Yongguk snored softly before sitting up thoughtfully. 

''You leave me no choice'' he said . With swift precision, he grabbed the duvet and pulled it up enough for him to crawl inside it. Yongguk turned his head dazedly at the disturbance to the right and his eyes widened when he was met with a grinning Daehyun. ''Get. Out'' he said lowly as he felt his skin heat up at the close proximity. ''What?This is fun''whispered Daehyun. ''No. Out'' said Yongguk pushing Daehyun away but Daehyun was quick to retaliate. Soon a shoving match began till Yongguk decided that things might get out of hand if this didn't stop right now because holding oneself back had its limit.

So he threw the duvet off of them before pushing Daehyun off his bed. He landed with an exaggerated howl and glared at Yongguk who was sitting cross legged on the bed. '' That was just plain me---You still sleep in your boxers?'' he asked, staring at Yongguks black boxers. Yongguk's face coloured as he looked around to find something to cover himself. Wait.. we're both guys. And I must act cool

 ''Yeah. Sometimes i wear nothing. Imagine if you find me like that...'' he said smirking at Daehyun and snickered when he saw a faint dust of pink spread on Daehyun's cheeks. 

''...Uh...Yeah true... Hmm.You're right I shouldn't just uh.. barge in..'' he said getting up stiffly and exiting the room.

Yongguk watched Daehyun leave, mildly confused. ''That was too easy. I have a feeling he will be back''

.He glanced down at his nether regions and smiled at his tolerance. If he had no control, he would've definitely pounced on Daehyun which is why he didn't particularly like him coming because that boy was just oblivious. He waited a few minutes to see if his prediction of Daehyun would happen and when he felt the fatass wouldn't be returning,he stood up and removed his shirt making his way to the bathroom.

The door opened just then and Daehyun poked his head in, yelping as he saw Yongguk in nothing but boxers. '' Sorry! Uh.. If you're bored.. We could hang..out..?''

''No.'' replied Yongguk. ''Ok!'' replied Daehyun immediately shutting the door in a hurry.

 A smile formed on Yongguk's lips. 'If this was anyone else I'd be assuming they like me. But it's Daehyun. And that's impossible'he sighed smile fading

*************************

Daehyun hurried back home, palms pressed against his warm cheeks wondering why he was feeling so flustered. I mean, I've seen Yongguk like that so many times...Shaking his head to rid all the weird feelings, he decided to ride his bicycle around the city. His head snapped up as his father opened the door, while he spoke urgently on his phone. Mr Jung didn't notice Daehyun's bicycle sprawled near the front door and with a loud scream he tripped and fell over it.

''JUNG DAEHYUN HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU TO KEEP YOUR BIKE IN THE GARAGE?!!!!'' he yelled standing up and fuming at his son who grinned sheepishly and rubbed his nape. ''I would've warned you if you weren't on the phone...'' he said while his father cocked a brow at him sarcastically. ''After all these years you would warn me? Yeah right.'' he muttered stomping towards the car. ''Next time i will have your bike delivered to the junkyard and I'll make you watch it been shread!'' he yelled before  getting into the car and driving off with a loud screech of tyres, leaving a trail of smoke behind.

''Sheesh. Old age does make one grumpy''

''JUNG DAEHYUN!!!!'' came Mrs Jungs voice as if on cue from inside and Daehyun cringed. ''What?'' he yelled as he straightened his bike. ''YOUR FATHER SAYS YOU TOOK HIS PENDRIVE.'' 

''I didn't!!'' said Daehyun getting onto his bike. ''HE SAYS YOU'RE DEAD WHEN HE COMES BACK!'' 

''I'll check in the pond when i get back!'' he said cycling off before he was bombarded with questions.

Uurgh. I need to sort things out in my head. Why did I feel awkward around Yongguk? This is so weird. It's Yongguk for god's sake! It was so embarassing cause he was so calm.. I felt so weird.And I was stuttering. he thought facepalming mentally as he sped up deciding to go to the pasrty shop of his dreams and stare at the cheesecake of his dreams.

He saw a familar figure near the pastry shop and realized that it was Himchan and rode towards him. ''Daehyun?!'' smiled Himchan as he placed a hand on the handles of the bike to steady the rider who grinned back at him. 

''Such a shame that Youngjae's not having the sleepover..'' he started and Daehyun nodded. ''Let's hope he solves his problems.'' he said and Himchan looked at him questioningly. ''He's got cow problems'' replied Daehyun solemlmy. ''Ah.. Yes I heard beef is a carrier of some unidentified bacteria'' said Himchan dusting something off of Daehyun's jacket. Before Daehyun could correct him and explain that cow poblems was a metaphor for large problems, Himchan spoke again. 

''Wanna go inside?'' he asked gesturing at the shop. ''Ah.. No actually, I know its too expemsive'' said Daehyun but Himchan scoffed. ''It's on me'' 

''No I don't like it when people buy stuff for me.. Unless i know them real well..''

'' Well we could work on that..'' said Himchan wih a smile, grabbing Daehyuns hand and leading the bike towards the bike rack, ignoring Daehyun's protests.

***************************

Yongguk glared and cursed at whoever was ringing the doorbell, wishing it would just stop. Since it didn't he sighed and placed the book he was absorbed in moments ago on the bed and walked downstairs a deep scowl forming on his lips, with a faint idea of who it might be behind the door.

''Fatass i will ing rip your throat---- Dad??'' 

Mr. Bang was dressed simply in a pair of faded blue jeans and a white shirt. Yongguk resembled him a lot.. Except he smiled less like his father.

Father and son stared at each other for quite a while, till Mr Bang's face broke into a smile and he pulled Yongguk into a hug.

''Hey Yongguk... How ya doing?'' he asked pulling back,smiling at his son who looked shocked. ''Dad?'' he said again studying his father's face that had aged over the years. ''Why yes i'm your father! Why you acting so shocked?'' asked the man ruffling Yongguk's hair. Yongguk ran his eyes over his father's tired face, from the wrinkles that had grown deeper round his eyes and the eyebags underneath. Streaks of silver hair ran down his short messy hair.

Something's wrong.

''Not inviting me in?'' asked Mr Bang jokingly breaking his son from his reverie, and finally Yongguk smiled and hugged his father again. ''Dad...'' he whispered. ''I missed you too kid..'' 

After settling his father down on the couch, Yongguk sat opposite him with two cans of soda, that he placed on the coffee table between them.

''So how's college?'' asked Mr Bang popping his can open. ''It's ok I guess. But I'd rather drop out '' replied Yongguk with a shrug leaning back on his chair. ''I know how that feels. But hold on. It's just a coulpe more years. And your mum wouldn't let you anyway'' laughed Mr Bang eyes landing on a photograph of a smiling Mrs Bang with her arms around a disgruntled and grumpy Yongguk at the beach. Yongguk watched his father's eyes sadden.

Does he regret leaving us? Is he thinking that he should be in that picture too?' wondered Yongguk.

''How's your mum?'' he asked softly eyes landing on Yongguk, who didn't miss the way he said 'your mum' as if she was a stranger. ''She's alright. Just over working herself.''

''I'm assuming she's barely at home then. She always over worked. Looks like nothing has changed.'' said Mr Bang bitterly, staring at the can in his hands. Yongguk's grip on his own can tightened. Yes he knew that his parents separated because his mum worked too much. But she never failed to be there for Yongguk despite her busy schedules. Unlike his father.

''Dad. You didn't come here to just see me did you?'' asked Yongguk rhetorically. 

Mr Bang's eyes flickered with hurt as they landed on Yongguk's own pained pair. ''I did.. Partially.'' he said with a sigh. None of them spoke for a while. ''What is it you want?'' asked Yongguk swallowing at the way he spoke, as if his own father was a mere stranger.

Realizing that there was no point in stalling Mr Bang began. ''Yongguk. I came to tell you something important..'' he saidas he placed the can of soda on the coffee table and regarded his son. A proud smile formed on his face at the way his only son had grown, into a smart, capable young man but Yongguk shifted uncomfortably as the atmosphere tensed up.

The man sighed before smiling slightly. ''You know how it was after your mum and i separated right? I was a mess. I never thought i'd be able to pick myself. I still loved her. I loved you. I still do.. And not getting custody over you almost killed me. I was an unhappy man. So I buried myself in my work'' he began lookign straight at Yongguk.

'' But, fate had another plan...'' he started. ''A few years back, things changed. I met someone.''

Yongguk couldn't believe what he was hearing. His breath shallowed as he watched his father.

''We worked together. And over time we started to like each other. We found out that we had similar tastes, we became best friends'' he stopped and looked at Yongguk cringing at the apprehensive look, oh so familiar in his son's eyes, just like the day he left him, standing at the front gate, tears streaming down his small face, small hands the fence, watching as his father left him. 

I thought we were best friends thought Yongguk, his heart beating alarmingly fast.

Taking a deep breath, Mr Bang continued. He had to do this. It was only right. ''... And.. we got engaged.I just wanted to let you know that Yongguk.''

'' You're marrying?'' said Yongguk gulping loudly.. His father nodded. ''So. You divorced mum? I mean legally?'' he asked voice cracking. Another nod.

Memories of a 4 year old Yongguk piggy back riding on his father's back at the zoo till his mum came and stuck a popsicle in his mouth laughing, flashed through his mind. Another memory of the three of them smiling into the camera, then 5 year old Yongguk rolling around with his father, learning to ride his first bike at the age of 7, being cradled in his father's arms after falling flashed through his mind.

Hushed voices arguing when he came home at the age of 8, as his parents quickly smiled and greeted him when he stepped into the living room, the final straw at the age of 10, when his father left them after a heated debate with his wife , his mum lifting him into her arms, away from the man. ''It's only for a while Yongguk.. Only till we figure things out. Then I'll be back, I'll still see you. I promise.'' his father had smiled and said, wiping away Yongguk's tears.

He remembered how he begged his father to stay, how he apologized and promised to be a good boy, how he ran outside, stumbling on his short legs to try and catch up to the man, and watched through the fence as his father got into the car and drove away. Away from him. But it was temporary. He would be back. He promised. 

'' So I won't see you again?'' he asked voice a whisper. His father looked up confused. ''You're not mad?'' he asked. '''No. It's your choice i guess..'' said Yongguk.

Of course I'm mad. You promised you'll be back.

He willed the tears away when his father smiled at him appreciatively.

''Thank you son. You don't know how much this means to me''

No You don't know what this means to me...

''Will you be living far?'' asked Yongguk willing away his tears. At this Mr Bangs smile slipped. ''Ah.. We thought of migrating..'' he said.

''How long?''

'' Permanently. But I'll visit of course. I promise.''

No you won't...That's what you said 10 years back. I was the one who visited you. My affections always seem to be one sided. he thought bitterly

Yongguk focused hs eyes on the can of soda in his hand. You can't hold him back, he's human afterall. You can't blame him, it's his right. If he loves someone, you should be happy for him. said a voice in his head.

Swallowing the lump in his throat, he forced on a smile and looked at his father who looked guilty. ''I'm invited for the wedding right?'' he asked and his father's face contorted into shock, before he laughed. ''Of course. '' he said finally as he walked over and pulled Yongguk into his arms. Dont cry Yongguk he told himself

''Thanks Yongguk.. I thought you'd hate me, curse me even'' said Mr Bang.

I wouldn't. I'm a fool. I still love you too much

Yongguk pulled back and cleared his throat. ''As long as you're happpy dad'' he said genuinely. '' I'm one lucky man to have you as my son.Well.. I gotta go then. It'll be awkward if your mum comes and sees me here. She was worried you'd blow up when i told you.'' he said asYongguk led him to the door. So mum knows. How does she feel? Not what I'm feeling I'm sure.

''Nothing's gonna change alright'' he said before he ruffled Yongguk's hair at the door and left with a wave.

 Yongguk watched him dissapear in his car, just like when he was 10. Except this time, he drove right out of his life. Permanently.

He tried to calm his ragged breathing as a soft breeze played about him. Sure his father said things won't change but he knew better. He wasn't an immature kid anymore. It  would be normal if the woman he was going to marry and her family wouldn't be happy about him having close contact with his son and former wife. It would cause a lot of problems. It's beter that they distance themselves.

Kicking a rock out of the way Yongguk climbed his favourite tree. Reaching his usual branch, he leaned his back against it and closed his eyes.

*********************************

Daehyun screamed as his brakeless bike collided with the gate when he rode back home. ''Uuuurrrghhh.... I'm so dizzy..'' he muttered getting off and opening the latch before leading the bike inside. He kept it near the front door ignoring his father's threats from upstairs to put it in the garage because he always trips over it and headed towards the pond. With a grin he threw in a stapler.. his fathers to be precise before nodding in triumph. Humming he was about to go in when he noticed a familiar figure resting on the tree next door. Daehyun squinted and stared wondering what he was doing up there when he noticed that the hunched figure looked depressed. 

Yongguk opened his eyes when he felt a presence beside him, only to find that it was Daehyun. '' 'Sup loser. What's with the ugly face?'' he asked gesturing to Yongguk to make some space for him.

Yongguk inhaled deeply and looked away once Daehyun sat beside him, shoulders brushing. ''What's wrong?'' asked Daehyun softly genuinely concerned .

His eyes widened comically when he saw dried tear trails on Yongguks cheeks. He decided that he didn't like it when Yongguk cried. It was as if it affected him too.

Knowing that Yongguk was a man of few words, he wrapped his arms around Yongguk and pulled him closer. Yongguk's body tensed and realizing this, Daehyun began to run his fingers through Yongguk's hair, gently leading Yongguk to rest his head against his shoulder.

Wondering what had caused all this, Daehyun decided to not pry. If Yongguk wanted to he'd tell him...Right? They stayed like this for a long time, comforted by each others presence. 

A soft buzz alerted Daehyun that he had gotten a message and he pulled out his phone to see that it was a message from Himchan. 'Psssst. Guess what. I bought more of your favourite cheesecake.. Come over to my place! :)

Yongguk didnt mean to but couldn't help reading the message and it hit him hard that Daehyun, another person he liked was going to be taken away from him just like his father.

Daehyun typed a quick reply and stuffed the phone back into his pocket as Yongguk straigtened himself .

''You look much better. Letting it out is the best sort of comfort. I don't mind listening.'' offered Daehyun, wanting nothing more than to comfort his friend at the moment.

Yongguk brushed off a leaf from his pants. ''Aren't you going?'' he asked voice low, eyes not meeting Daehyun's. ''I'll  go inside in a bit--'' daehyun started but Yongguk shook his head. '' To Himchan's'' added Yongguk.

''You read my message didn't you peasant?''  said Daehyun with a laugh, bumping his shoulder playfully with Yongguks. When he got no reaction he frowned . ''Nah.. I can go some other time.'' he said swinging his legs back and forth, not really saying that he refused Himchan's offer to stay by Yongguk.

''You like it when people buy you food for free...'' said Yongguk climbing down the tree. Daehyun's frown deepened, but he climbed down after Yongguk. ''But i dont want to eat now. Wanna watch a movie?''

'' No.. But fatass..'' Yongguk said turning around. ''Thanks.'' he said with a small smile, before turning around leaving Daehyun behind. Daehyun grabbed Yongguk by the wrist and pulled him  back. ''Yongguk. Just shut up for once and come watch a movie with me.'' he said squeezing Yongguk's hand. He could tell that Yongguk was deeply hurt by something. Yongguk chuckled and detangled their hands and Daehyun swore for a moment he felt empty at the loss of contact.

''I'm just gonna go for a walk'' said Yongguk voice low, as Daehyun nodded.

 Yongguk stuffed his hands in his pockets and walked away. It hurt but he was used to harbouring emotions ever since he was a kid.

''And, I dont want just anyone to buy me stuff.'' sighed daehyun watching his best friends figure walk away, distancing himself further. Go after him! said a voice in his head but he couldn't move. He felt as if Yongguk's emotions somehow transferred over to him.

 Yongguk walked on, the air getting chillier around him, as if to suit his mood.. 'In the end it seemed like everyone leaves' he thought with a bitter smile.

*************************

A/N : I updated!!! :D

It was a little depressing no? Ah.. Its only a little depressing for a while..

Thank you as usual for commenting and subscribing. I had a small phase where I didn't want to write this but I read all the comments and it gave me inspiration! :) 

Thank you Rapbyun41 (haha nice username! ;) ) , black_friday and airalia for the upvotes! Really appreciate it guys!! 

Story's almost done just a few more chapters to go!

Make sure to comment! It inspires me... *dramatic music!* :)