You need to go, noona.

Adorn You

I watched as the rain poured heavily on the pavement. It had been raining for three days now when it was supposed to be sunny at this time of the month. But I welcomed it nonetheless, because I actually love it when it rains. I love it when I want to cuddle up in my bed and the weather cooperates. But today, instead of staying at home, I chose to go out for the first time in days.

I sipped from the cup of my latte as I sat in my favorite spot - a table at the farthest corner of the cafe. I have always loved this cafe; the interior, the friendly crews, their cakes - everything. And as I looked around, I bid my silent goodbye to the cafe that had been a witness to mine and Jesse’s love story. This was my favorite cafe simply because this was where Jesse had asked for my name. This was where Jesse had looked at me as if I was the only one he saw. This was where Jesse had said he loved me. This was where I said I love him back. This was where I kissed him after he asked me to move in with him. This was our cafe.

I smiled inwardly, realizing that it didn’t hurt as much as it does anymore. Maybe when time passes, it wouldn’t hurt anymore. And maybe, just maybe, when that time comes, I could be there for Jesse and not ask for anything more than his friendship. But for now, I know I still have things to work for myself.

Casting one, last, lingering look around the cozy cafe, I stood up from my seat, noticing a crew coming my way. He smiled at me that warm smile they always had on default, and sometimes I wonder if they ever get tired of smiling.

“Miss Taeyeon,” he said as he stopped just a few feet away from me. I stopped walking and smiled at him too. “We heard that you’re leaving Seoul tomorrow,” he added. I was taken aback, confused as to how he knew. And more importantly, why did it matter to him. He might have seen the look on my face as he immediately said, “W-We have a crew here that goes in the same university as you, and s-she’s part of the club that you had handled before.”

I nodded. Now, that made sense.

“We just wanted to give you something as a remembrance.” He slid his hand inside the pocket of his apron and brought up a key chain with a miniature cup. He handed it to me and I accepted it whole-heartedly. “I hope you don’t forget about us, and we hope to see you again someday.”

I didn’t know what to answer, so I just bowed at him and immediately went out of the cafe. When I was out in the street, the rain had slowed down considerably. I opened my umbrella and pulled my coat closer around my body before walking to the bus stop. The familiar smell of the streets invaded my nose and for a moment I stopped to look at the stores around me, wondering if I’ll ever miss them. And I realized I will.

The thought of leaving Seoul indefinitely finally sunk in. I wasn’t just leaving my favorite cafe, I was leaving Seoul - the place where I built my dreams in.

**

“Noona,” Minho said as soon as he opened the front door for me. I smiled when he helped me take my coat off. “Why did you went out in this weather, you know you should be resting for tomorrow.”

I rolled my eyes and chuckled. Typical of Minho. “I got bored. And besides, I’ll just be sleeping in the plane tomorrow so you don’t have to worry about me.”

I heard Minho sigh as we walked towards the living room couch. “Still--”

“Shh-” I plopped down on the couch with Minho beside me. I noticed that the TV was and it was in the news channel. I chuckled again. “Were you worried about me?” I plucked my lips towards the screen, where the weather forecaster was telling her viewers that the rain would stop tomorrow and that the weather will be better.

“Of course not,” Minho said. “I just didn’t know what to watch.”

I playfully nudged him by the shoulder, earning a grunt from him. I laughed out loud and Minho joined in. I will surely miss having Minho around.

When our laughter died down, my eyes were fixed back at the TV screen. The reporter was standing in a very familiar football field and I listened to what he was saying.

...FC Seoul will be losing a member..” My heartbeat raced as I saw a very familiar guy walking closer to the camera. Jesse... and Yoona beside him. “FC Seoul’s skipper has filed for his retirement yesterday..” Jesse and Yoona stood beside the reporter. God, they look so perfect together.

..sorry, I can’t give you the details. It’s very personal and I would like to keep it to myself.” Jesse’s voice was even but his eyes could never lie. He was sad. Of course he would be, he worked hard to be in that team and now he is leaving for whatever reason.

So, what are you going to do now? Is it true that you’re leaving FC Seoul because you got scouted for London?

Jesse just smirked. “I have no idea what I’m going to do next,” he said. “But I’m sure I’ll be thinking about these things for as long as I live.

The reporter’s face turned quizzical but before he could utter another question, Jesse excused himself. A few seconds later, Yoona and Jesse disappeared from the screen.

Minho sat silently beside me. If he had questions, he didn’t ask. I wanted to ask him if he knew about what just happened since he still went to practice. But I couldn’t. I didn’t want to. We were living separate lives now and whatever Jesse decided on, I’m sure he had his own reasons.

I rose up from my seat, turning to smile at Minho. “I’ll just check if I packed everything I needed.”

I didn’t wait for his response and proceeded to walk to my room.

**

“Be sure to call us as soon as you reach New York, okay?” My father’s expression was unreadable and I just nodded. When his mask broke, I saw the sadness in his eyes and my first reflex was to hug him tight.

“Appa, don’t be sad,” I said. “I’ll call everyday and you can visit me someday, okay?”

I felt him nod and his big hand went to the back of my head. “It just wouldn’t be the same without you,” he said.

I chuckled as I pulled away from the hug. “Appa, we don’t even see each other every day.” It wasn’t my intention to sound accusing but when the expression on his face faltered, I realized that I did just that. I bit my lower lip.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I was so busy with work that I forgot my children were waiting for me at home.”

I shook my head. Of course I understand. He only wanted the best for me and Minho. “You take care of each other, okay?” I said instead, my eyes flickering from my father to Minho, who nodded at me with a smile.

“You need to go, noona.” Minho pulls me in a tight hug.

“I have to go,” I said as I pushed myself from Minho.

With a wave of my hand, I turned and jogged to catch up with Yuri, who had our luggage in a trolley.