Four

The Letter C

In the game of life, we don't always like the cards we're dealt.

It's not exactly fair in some cases when things go wrong in life, and cancer is one of those things that is just so unfair.

It's hard to understand my logic about it, but I'll just put it simply: I don't give a .

Just because I have a life threatening illness, does not mean I'm going to sit on my and cry about it. I refuse to have a pity party for myself and just let life pass me by. This has been my outlook on it from the get-go.

When I was younger, I remembered my family all came over to my house, and when I say family I mean all of my family. My grandparents, my aunts and uncles, my cousins (Who I am convinced are the spawns of Satan, and are not, in fact, the fruit of my auntie Sohee's womb), distant relatives who I'd never heard of. Everyone, literally.

And they all told me the same things:

"We're so sorry Jong In." (My real name, Kai is a nickname my sisters gave me. Not exactly sure why, they just did it and it stuck.)

"We're praying for you Jong In."

"You'll be okay, son. You're a tough little thing."

"You'll fight this, we know it, we believe you'll kick cancer's ." Those were the words of one of my older uncles, Minho, and of course his husband chastised him for speaking so rudely in front of me. (Key has a way of making you love him, and be completely frightened of him at the same time, and that was one of those moments.)

Now, I'm not saying I was ungrateful for the encouragements, but I had to admit, they made it sound like my funeral was the next day. So, I decided, from that day on, that even though I was most likely going to kick the bucket any day, I would live my life to it's fullest and not waste the time I was given.

Kris, was the something that pushed me even further to live my life.

The course of a month was spent as lazy days sitting on the trampoline in my back yard, talking, laughing, small smiles here, a little flirting there. I can honestly say that the more I got to know him, the more I was beginning to feel something deeper for him.

~*~

"Kai?"

"Yeah, Kris?"

"What's your greatest fear?"

I sat up from the grass, looking down at him. We had been laying in my backyard, staring up at the clouds, enjoying a nice day, and then suddenly he asked this question.

"Define 'Greatest Fear'." I said, curling my legs up to my chest. It hurt a little more than usual, but I didn't really focus on it. I'd have to talk to my parents about it later.

"As in, what's something that scares the out of you?" He said. He turned his head up to look at me, his dark brown eyes holding an emotion I couldn't exactly describe.

I nodded once, resting my head on my knees. "Hmm, that's a good question." I hadn't really thought about what scared me most. At least not for a long time. When you find out you have cancer, especially the kind I have, you kinda forget all the other crap out there.

"Ghosts." I said, finally, after a long pause. He sat up, tilting his torso towards me. "Ghosts?" He asked incredulously. I nodded. He cracked up laughing, falling back onto the grass, holding his stomach as if it were going to explode.

"Yah, what's so funny?" I asked, staring at him oddly. He just kept laughing, like I'd told him the greatest joke ever.

"Yah! Kris!" I yelled, scooting away a little. His laughter was beginning to freak me out. Kris sat up, wiping away some tears that had leaked out during his laughing fit. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, really." He said, chuckling lightly as he came down from the high.

"I just can't believe out of all the things there are to be scared of, you pick ghosts." He said, shaking his head.

"Is there something wrong with my fear?" I asked. He chuckled again.

"Well yeah, cause there's no such thing as ghosts." He stated factually.

Now, I've never taken Kris to be an idiot, but I honestly believe that he has a screw missing somewhere in his head after that comment. There's no other explanation for that stupid comment.

"There are such thing as ghost," I defended. "You just haven't seen them yet."

Kris snickered, standing up from the grass. "Alright, Kai. You show me a ghost, I'll believe you. Until then, I stand firmly by my belief." He offered his hand to help me up, which I gladly accepted. (My legs had been hurting a lot more, recently)

"And I stand firmly by mine. I'm going to take you to a real haunted house someday." I said. Kris draped his arm ever so delicately over my shoulder.

"Whatever you say, Kai," He said as we walked toward my house. "Whatever you say."

~*~

"Maybe we should take him to the doctor." My mother said, turning to my father. I was seated with them at the dinner table, along with my sisters, and I had decided to mention my legs. Big mistake.

"Sojin, it's past eight, the doctor's office is closed, the only other place is the ER, and I'm almost positive that he doesn't need to go there." My father stated simply. My mother, however, was a lot more stubborn than she looked. (That's where I get it from)

"Jongdae, what if something is happening? We'd never know because we didn't try." She said, trying her best to reason with him. My father shook his head.

"Sojin, he will be fine. I'll call and set up an appointment tomorrow when the office is open." He put emphasis on tomorrow. My mother sat back in her chair, crossing her arms over her chest. I could tell where this was going, and I didn't like it.

"Jongdae, I swear if my son dies, I will not hesitate to kill you." She said, glaring at her plate. My father rolled his eyes, clanging his fork on his plate. "Oh, Sojin, don't act like a child. He'll be okay, won't you son?" He asked sincerely, looking to me. I opened my mouth to speak, but my mother beat me to it.

"Kim Jong In, don't you dare answer that question. Jongdae, I don't want an argument, he'll go to the ER." I rolled my eyes, listening to my father speak back. "Sojin, you're acting like a spoiled brat, now stop this nonsense."

And, they're off. I thought, placing my fork on my plate. I knew this would happen, this is why I didn't want to say anything.

"I am not! Don't speak to me like that, Jongdae!"

"Sojin, you're making it worse, look you're upsetting the kids."

"Don't speak to me like I'm beneath you!"

"Sojin, you're thinking very strange things, I'm speaking to you like a normal person."

"You're speaking to me like I'm an idiot! Look, we need to think about Jong-"

"SHUT THE UP!" 

Both of them and my sisters looked at me like I was insane. Then again, perhaps I was going insane from all the yelling.

"Just shut up. I can't take this any more." I said, standing from my seat. "Quite frankly, mother, you are acting like a child, so just stop. I will live, I will be alright, so just stop." I ran a hand through my hair in frustration.

"I'm going to my room." I said, turning on my heels and heading to my bedroom. This was the last thing I wanted to deal with right now, and it honestly just made my pain a lot worse. I know my mom means well, but she's suffocating me.

I looked over at my phone that sat perched on my bed, and debated on calling Sehun. Reaching for it, I began to dial his number, but stopped short when I scrolled to a name that caught my eye.

Krissy <3

I decided to give it a call. He picked up after the second ring.

"Kai! To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"My mother is suffocating me."

"Oh, that's not good. How are you still breathing? More importantly, how on earth are you calling me if she's strangling you?"

"Suffocating, not strangling, and she's not doing it literally. I mean, she's just, ugh! She treats me like I'm a two year old who has the flu twenty four seven."

"Ah, I see, my mistake, I heard you wrong. That . Want me to come kidnap you?"

I tilted my head considering the offer. "Sure, why not. I need to clear my head." Kris chuckled on the other line.

"Alright, leave your bedroom window open, I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

~*~

"Have you ever ridden a moter cycle?" Kris asked me, helping me out my window. It wasn't that far off the ground, but I still needed a little help with my body being the way it was. I shook my head.

He smiled, taking his back pack off, and ping it. "I figured you hadn't. Here," he said handing it over. "Follow me." He zipped up the bag and swung it over his shoulder, heading towards the direction of the side of my house.

There in the dusk of the evening, sat a midnight blue motor cycle, complete with two seats so a passenger could tag along. I gasped in awe, going closer. "We're riding on that?" I asked, watching him tuck his bag away into a compartment on the back. He nodded, going over to where his own helmet sat waiting on us.

"Yeah, hop on." He said, settling himself in front of the bars.

I hesitated a moment, before throwing my leg over the side like he had. I strapped the helmet on, jumping slightly when he started the engine, revving it up a few times. "Hold on tight, this thing goes fast." He said, gesturing for me to grab his middle. He took off with a start before I could get my arms around him, sending me flying into his back.

I wrapped my arms tightly around his middle, holding on like my life depended on it. Why had I said yes to this again?

"Where to?" Kris yelled, wanting an answer from me. I looked around a the scenery that was whizzing by me, deciding to throw caution to the wind for once in my life.

"Anywhere." I answered back, hoping that wherever he took me, I could forget about everything.

--------------

[A/N:]

I hope you enjoyed this. :) I'm feeling a little bit better after spending some time with my boyfriend. My grandfather still hasn't changed, and they're not giving us much hope about it, but I know whatever happens, it's for the best.

Thank you for reading, and thank you for the encouraging comments on the last chapter. It meant a lot to me. <3

Subscribe, up vote, comment for the comment ?

Saranghae

-Kyla<3