Ch. 6 Kris

A Dying Wish

Kris wandered around town with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He inhaled and blew out a puff of smoke. Kyungsoo's words rang in his ears and he growled.

'Everyone is so set on me staying away from Tao. I'm not that bad of a guy. So what if I like to have a little fun, is that a crime?'

After an hour or so of wandering around in the cold, the irritation had built up inside of Kris and was ready to brust free. Buttoning his jacket up all the way Kris jogged off in the direction of the hospital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The door automatically opened and warm air soothed Kris's freezing body. Walking up to the front desk he cleared his throat, "Excuse me, what room is Tao staying in?"

The lady looked up from behind her glasses and looked Kris up and down. "Weren't you the young man in here a few days ago for alcohol and drug use?"

"Uh... yeah..." Kris mumbled. He was embarassed that the way he was remembered was so shameful.

"You made friends with Tao right? I overheard Dr. Yixing and Tao talking about you, Kris right?" The nurse said with a smile.

Kris stood up taller, "Really? He was talking about me? Yeah Kris is my name."

"Well I'm sure that Tao would love a visitor, unfortunately he's stuck in bed with a fever today so you'll have to stay there." The nurse wrote down Tao's room number on a card and handed it to Kris.

"Thanks" Kris waved as he began walking down the hall. He kept looking between the card and the room numbers on the doors. When he finally found a match he took a deep breath and slid the door open. He looked around and saw a lump on the bed.

"Leave me alone Yixing. I'm resting like you told me to and I haven't been out of bed."

Kris frowned, "Umm were you talking to me?"

The covers shifted and Tao's head peaked over top.

"Kris?" Tao rubbed his eyes and sat up. Kris's heart thumped at the sight. He thought that Tao looked adorable with his bed head and sleepy eyes.

Kris walked closer to the bed and pulled up a chair before sitting down. "Hey. I thought I would come visit you. How are you doing? I heard that you have a fever."

"Had. I took some medicine and slept so it should be gone by now."

Kris just hummed and then they sat in silence. It began to feel uncomfortable and Kris shifted in his seat. 'Soooo I met your friend Kyungsoo."

Tao's head perked up when he heard Kyungsoo's name. "You did? Ah how did that happen?"

"We just ran into each other." Kris lied.

Tao smiled, "He's a really nice guy right? Hyung comes and visits me when he can and we have lots of fun together. Do you get along well?"

Kris looked at the ground, "Yeah he is. I guess. We didn't really get to know each other. Anyways how did you guys meet?"

"Oh well before my disease got worse I was actually able to attend school. We got to know each other then. I actually knew a lot of people when I was in school, but then as soon as I had to stay in the hospital they slowly disappeared one by one except for Kyungsoo."

Kris felt bad. He didn't realize how alone Tao must feel.

"Now Kyungsoo is my only friend, but I'm thankful that if I'm only going to have one friend that it's someone as great as Kyungsoo." Tao smiled.

Kris itched his head and glanced at Tao, "Well you vcan hve more than one friend you know, I mean, if you want, we can be friends."

When Tao didn't answer right away Kris looked up at Tao. Tao was smiling softly at Kris. "Yeah Kris. I would really like that. Thanks."

They began to talk about interests and hobbies and soon hours had passed.

Their conversation was cut short when the door slid open to reveal Yixing.

"Alright Tao it's time for your medicine... Oh Kris.... What are you doing here?" Yixing's eyebrows came together as he took in the sight of Kris sitting beside his patient.

He walked closer and crinkled his nose at the smell of cigarette smoke.

Kris stood up and gave a slight bow, "Hello. I came to visit Tao."

The two just stared at each other as awkward silence filled the room. Finally Tao cleared his throat and broke the silence, "Yixing, can I have my medicine now?"

Yixing just nodded and then handed Tao two pills and a cup of water. Tao swallowed and handed the cup back. Yixing stood stared at Kris and Tao who were staring back.

"Soo is that all you need?" Tao asked as he gave Yixing a confused look.

Yixing gave one last glance to Kris before walking out.

"I don't think he likes me." Kris grumbled as he leaned back in his chair.

"I'm sure that's not it. Yixing is just a serious guy until you get to know him. Trust me, he'll warm up to you eventually." Tao said and gave Kris a reassuring smile.

Kris shrugged, "Sure he will."

Tao yawned and rubbed his eyes. Kris realized that Tao was probably sleepy from the medicine he just took. "Hey it's getting late I should head home."

Tao had a sad look on his face. "Alright."

Kris noticed and spoke again, "You know, if it's alright with you I would like to come back tomorrow."

Tao's face brightened up and he nodded, "Yes I would really like that."

Kris got up and gave Tao a smile, "Ok, I'll come by again after school."

Tao nodded and lay back down in bed. Kris frowned when the sheets were only pulled to Tao's waist. Reaching over he pulled them up to his neck and tucked him in. Tao just stared at Kris warm eyes.

When Kris finished he looked down and saw Tao staring at him, "Sorry, you just seemed cold. Don't want your fever coming back.." he said embarassed.

"Thank you Kris." Kris took one last look at Tao before walking out the door with a smile on his face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kris walked out of the hospital doors and the cold night air hit him in the face. He took his time getting home and when he finally did he stood outside of the door and took a deep breath.

Gathering the courage he opened the door. Immediately a large pain washed over him. He fell to the ground clutching his head. His father had smashed a bottle over his head and was standing over him laughing.

"You stupid . Where were you today. You missed dinner. It made your mom sad. No you must be punished." Kris lashed out and hit his dad in the crotch. The old man doubled over in pain and Kris ran out the door.

He wandered around the neighborhood until he found a small park. Stumbling into a slide he gasped as he slid down to the ground. He reached up and touched his wound and brought his hand down covered in blood. He winced and leaned against the wall.

After a few minutes the cold became unbearable and he came out from his shelter. He continued to wander around town until he found himself back at the hospital. Thoughts of Tao ran through his head and he walked to the doors. They were locked and he breathed a sigh of irritation.

Walking around the building he found Tao's window and knocked harshly. After a few seconds the window slid open to reveal a surprised Tao.

"Kris?! What are you doing here? Is that blood?! Oh my god are you ok?!"

The questions went in one ear and out the other. Kris's vision blurred and he stumbled.

"Come inside." Tao said as  he helped Kris climb through the window.

As soon as Kris's feet hit the floor he collapsed. He heard Tao calling his name in the distance before his vision went black.