Ch. 9 Tao/Yixing

A Dying Wish

 

“Tao I know you’re in here. Stop sulking, there’s nothing that you can do.”

A lump on the bed growled, “Go away. I don’t want to listen to you.”

Yixing sat down on the side of Tao’s bed. “You know Tao, I’ve been a doctor for a long time now and I’ve noticed that people have all sorts of different ways when it comes to someone being sick. Some of them are weird and others are brilliant, but one thing that they have in common is that it doesn’t do affect the patient’s physical condition. As much as you want to believe that praying will cure an illness or heal an injury it won’t. I know that you have all of these plans that are supposedly going to save Kris, but they’re just your way of coping. I see you researching his condition every second of every hour and normally I would be fine with that, but in your case I’m not. I don’t want you wasting energy trying to fix something that can’t be fixed. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

Tao sat up with a glare, “You’re telling me to give up on Kris aren’t you.”

“No I’m just saying that you shouldn’t be so stupid when it comes to that boy.”

Tao was about to defend Tao when a nurse rushed into the room

“Dr. Yixing you need to come quick! There’s a patient who tried to commit suicide, he’s currently in critical condition with a dangerous amount of blood loss. They need you in the operating room.”

Yixing turned and immediately ran down the hall with the nurse. They rushed to the operating room where Yixing could already see bags of blood hanging and the other nurse’s gloves and clothes were covered in red. Slipping on a pair of gloves he threw on his scrubs and a mask before going to the table. His heart sunk when he saw the pale face of Kris. His wrists were still slashed, but the nurse’s had gotten the bleeding under control, hopefully it wasn’t too late. The heart monitor beeped slowly and weakly and Yixing knew he had to act fast. A needle was handed to him and he started to stitch the wounds. He was never expecting a suicide attempt from Kris so with every stitch and every tug he had to suppress the urge to vomit. What was Tao going to think of this?

Wiping away his sweat he finished the other wrist and was dismissed from the room. He watched as the others cleaned him up and prepared him to be moved to a room.

Chances of survival were slim, but not impossible. Once he had enough blood in his system and the wounds were clear from infection he would be back where he was before.

Tao was still in his bed when Yixing re-entered.

“Did something happen? Did they die?” Tao asked as he sat up and stared at Yixing’s weary face.

“Yes and no. They should be fine if everything goes smoothly.”

“Who was it? Do I know them?”

“Yes Tao, but I need you to stay calm ok? I’m telling you this because you deserve to know why Kris won’t be in his room when you go to visit.”

Tao swallowed.

“Kris tried to commit suicide. He slashed both of his wrists with shards from a mirror and right now he is resting in the protected part of this hospital. You should know that once he is recovered he will be placed under special watch by the hospital since he has been deemed unfit to be left alone.”

“He tried to kill himself? Why? Why would he do that?”

“They said that the time of the attack was placed right after I visited him, right after I told him about his condition.”

“You told him that his liver was failing?! Why would you do that?! You know I haven’t found a replacement yet!”

“I know Tao, but the chances of you finding a match are so slim that we can’t rely on that possibility.”

“You don’t know what it’s like to care about someone Yixing. All you ever do is deal with death and pain, so you don’t know what it’s like to have hope, to have faith. Well I’m not like you. I believe in my ability to help Kris and even if you don’t, I won’t stop until I succeed.”

The words stung as Yixing absorbed what Tao was telling him. He had always had faith in Tao. When Tao was ready to give up Yixing was there to push him forward. Even though he did deal with loss and pain in his job, that didn’t mean that he wasn’t human, that he didn’t feel the desire to survive.

“You’re wrong Tao. What have I been doing the entire time that you’ve been here? When you refused to take your medicine, when you wanted to stop treatments, when you wanted to quit, what did I do? I pushed you onward so don’t you dare say that I don’t know what it’s like to care.”

Tao shut his mouth and turned away. He knew that Yixing was right and he was wrong, but he was still upset.

“When can I see him?” he asked as he stared at the wall.

“I’m not sure. It depends on his mental state when he awakes. I’ll let you know as soon as I can. Until then you should continue to rest and take your medicine. I’ll be busy with some other cases for a while so the nurses will take care of you.” Yixing stood up and looked back at the young man in the bed. “If you keep fighting I’ll keep hoping.” He said before leaving.

Yixing ruffled his hair as he stormed down the hallway. As soon as he entered his office he pulled out some documents and scribbled his signature down. His boss entered later and sent him home due to an unsteady look about him. Usually he would refuse the offer and insist that he needed to stay to do work, but today was different. The rule he had broken as a doctor was coming back to haunt him. As he stood in the elevator he screamed and cried out. One of his patients tried to kill himself while the other was willing to die. What kind of doctor what he?

The elevator dinged when it reached the ground and he exited. Stuffing his jacket into his bag he walked blindly down the sidewalk. The world passed in a blur as his adrenaline rush wore off and reality set in. Why was the world so cruel? Why did good people have to die when criminals and sinners were allowed to walk free?

‘It would be better if we had no emotions, no desires, and no feelings. Then none of this would hurt.’ He thought to himself. His ears rang with Tao’s words, his eyes stung with Kris’s body, and his heart throbbed from reality.

The streetlight turned to walk and he stepped off the sidewalk. All of his senses were dulled and he didn’t hear the cries that came from behind him. He also didn’t hear the honk from the car that killed him. 

 

 

Sorry I know that this chapter is a bit short, but a lot is going on and I'm doing a double update so hopefully you won't hate me too much >.<

I really like this story personally it's one of my favorites, so I'm sad to say that it will be ending soon. 

Thank you to everyone who subscribed and supported this story, please upvote and comment it really means a lot to me to see what you guys think :)