"friends"

50 and a half wishes

My 50 wishes checklist slowly filled up with ticks.

I helped the kindergarten, I made new friends, I did volunteering work…. Oh and I also made real plans for Daehwa high school. I was beginning to feel like a President who got his pay because he worked, and not otherwise.

Soo jung does a lot of good things, like helping out at the folk’s home whenever she could. So when I followed her around, I was doing it too. I didn’t expect giving to feel better than receiving. I don’t know how it started, but I was definitely happier. Following soo jung around is like giving me keys --- keys to open doors to new experiences I’ve never experience before.

She gave me a new life. She didn't care about my status. Sh had never once asked me for money, or ask me which company did my family owned. Because she herself knew that there are more things in life that are more important than money.

I also felt myself drawing closer and closer to soo jung. I loved talking to her, I enjoyed doing work with her and I like the way she smiles. I’ve never felt this kind of feelings before. Never. What is this feeling I’m feeling right now?

We're both like 2 pieces of jigsaw puzzle. We make up for each other's flaws. Soo jung enlightened my pessimistic life. And I can be her eyes, looking out for her.

What am I without her?

On this particular rest day, the doorbell of my house rang. Servants informed me that my “friends” were visiting.

What now? Have you all ran out of cash?

Ever since soo jung changed my way of thinking, I started to dread my “friends” more. I tried stopping my connections with them, but they are just like…. Pests.I don't want my life to turn back to the way it is, where there were no hint of happiness.

“Tell them I’m not home, “ I ordered the Head servant, Mdm Lee.

“Young master, I’m afraid they’ve already proceeded upstairs now..”

A knock came on my door.

“Jong in ya, open up you bastard!”

I sighed and opened the door. Once Mdm Lee excused herself from the room, my “friends” all started swarming into my room like bees.

Baekhyun tucked my head under his arm.

“You bastard, why haven’t you been contacting us?”

I released myself away from his clutch.

“Uh..busy…with the school stuff and yeah.” I ruffled my hair and sat down at the sofa.

Chanyeol jumped and sat beside me.

“We need some…shopping you know,” Chanyeol said as he rubbed his middle finger and thumb together.

I sighed again and walked away to take my wallet.

“We are such great friends, right, jong in?” chanyeol says as he took my card from me. Without a smile, I gave them both a reluctant nod.

Stop calling me a friend. You annoy me.

“Actually, can you all just….stop contacting me?” I blurted out.

They both stared at me in silence.

“Take this card, spend it however you like. Just stop… coming to me. My life is great now, don't ruin it, I'm...begging you. Because I’m…not your friend.” I said, refusing to look at them.

Baekhyun exclaimed, “what? Brother, we are the ones who freed you from your loneliness. Have you forgotten that?”

I have not.

Back in high school days, due to my position I was an outcast. People were afraid to get close to me. Those who attempted to get close are friends like these. Friends who are looking for benefits. Back then, I was lonely, and also an outcast. Even admist a crowded room filled with people who looked at me with admiration, all I felt was emptiness. I eventually gave in to this emptiness and befriended Baekhyun and Chanyeol. I gave them hard cash in exchange for them to not make me feel lonely. I gave them cash for them to be my friends. I guess this approach was wrong.

“I really don’t need friends like you. All you guys did was ask for money. Whenever we go out, I pay so you two could have fun. I wasn’t a friend!” my volume raised and there was anger in my tone.

Chanyeol nodded his head and gritted his teeth. “What made you changed?” He asked.

I guess it was not hard to see some changes in me. One who used to drink everyday, wasting his life, and now I’m suddenly busy with work and feeling all motivated. Then one day I just tell them I don’t need friends like them. Anyone would have gotten surprised.

I shook my head.

“Nothing. Now go, please.” I closed my eyes and flopped down to the arm chair.

“You’re going to regret this, “ Baek hyun whispered into my ears before they went away.

I took a deep breath.

Now that my “friends” are gone, my life should change for the better. I am changing for the better.

With this, I held on to my mother’s last wishes and Soojung’s motivations close to my heart, and embracing my end that’s about to come.