It's hard to say goodbye

50 and a half wishes

BGM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TONc62E0uM

 

My slightly parted lips indicated my surprise. I quietly walked towards the girl. I bent down while quickly thinking of appropriate things to say.

I picked up her pink slippers with my left hand; and held her hand with my right. She jumped as if she was surprised by the sudden touch, but it was such a small jump that I would miss it if I looked the other way.  My rough and big hands wrapped nicely around her dainty, small hands, which I could feel was cold and fragile, like I'm holding a cold glass. She must have been playing the piano for a long time.

"Here, stand up," I held her up carefully. "Thank you...” she said as she gave me a warm smile.

When people are approached by strangers, most would be surprised, right? Some would question. But she didn’t. I guessed she must have been used to these situations. She can’t see, so people had to help her. There was no reason to question why.

I bent down again and held one of her ankle up before carefully helping her slip her slippers on.

"I'm sorry for the trouble," she said and bowed lightly.

I smiled shyly. Shy was a feeling I have not felt for years. It felt foreign to me.

I looked down and scratched my head.

"Were you the one at the door?" She asked as she gently tucked her hair behind her ears.

"I'm.... sorry... sorry for eavesdropping..uh..." I was outright awkward. Was I always this awkward to strangers?

The girl laughed quietly.

"Aren’t music meant for the ears?" Her eyes turned to a Crescent moon, and a small dimple formed below her cheeks. There was something attractive about this girl. “And you are..?”

"Oh..Hi..I'm..kim jong in. I'm.." I was about to state the reason why I was in a hospital, but I stopped, "....here to visit a friend."

"I see, I'm soo jung, Jung soo jung. im here to test for suitable corneas," She said excitedly with a slightly higher pitching.

"Corneas?" The question mark in my tone probed her to explain more.

"Yes, the doctors say if I am able to find one, I would be able to see again." Her smile disappears little by little. "I haven't been able to find a match for years,"

She was unable to hide her disappointment, but she still struggled to show me her best smile she could muster.

To improve the mood, I tried diverting the topic to something happier.

"Ah... oh by the way, your piano is great!” I virtually punched myself for being so obvious in diverting.

Soo jung laughed an even louder laugh. I was pretty sure she was laughing at my awkwardness.

"Michael Ortega’s piece looks simple, but the chorus was especially difficult to express emotions," I continued frantically, trying to look as cool as possible, even though I was sweating cold sweat.

She stopped laughing and paused for a brief second.

"I’m surprised, you know so much," she said as her eyebrows tilted upwards.

I smiled in embarrassment.

We continued talking about music for a whole 10 minutes, among other mutual interests like books...

 

...

 

"Young master! There you are!"

I heard Mr Kim’s voice called out from the end of the corridor. But he stopped walking some distance away as he seems to be aware of my on-going conversation.

Soo jung noted of his presence. "Oh, I’m sorry, it was pleasant talking to you,"

 "I wonder if we could have any form of contacts? I would love to discuss piano pieces with you!" I exclaimed, unable to hide my excitement. I wasn’t exactly sure if I was excited in us discussing music, or excited by the thought of being able to see her again.

"Give me your palm," soo jung says as she bit her lips with a smile.

I did as told. She fumbles around before locating my hand, and she began writing numbers on my palm, virtually with her slim fingers while she laughs softly.

"010-83789-83" she read aloud as she wrote. I was unable to control my grin. It was a little ticklish, but it was intriguing as I watch her write on my palm with such seriousness. While she writes, I secretly traced the outline of her face with my eyes. She was definitely beautiful, but I wonder if other people could see her gentle personality inside of her as well. If only personalities could be laid out straight for people to see. So nobody would be friends with you merely for your benefits. Just like all my other……”friends”.

My thoughts returned back as she hands out her palm to me and I wrote my number on it with my index finger. "010-99029-90" I said. She nodded and listened attentively.

"010-99029-90", she repeated. I looked at her and we both burst into an uncontrollable laughter.

“see you, " she said and waved lightly to the direction where my voice was. "You too," I said and waved too, even though she could not see. I watch her quietly while I walk she carefully touched the surrounding walls which lead her back to the room.

I was still waving, looking silly and THUD, I fell backwards on the floor. Mr Kim was smiling right straight at me. I had bumped straight unto him. I swear I was never this clumsy.

"…Shut up," I said as I stood back up, even though Mr Kim said nothing.

"Wait I forgot her number! " I said out of the blue and stared straight at him. He slowly took out my iphone 5 from his chest pocket and handed it over to me. I took back my phone and on the screen was typed," 010-83789-83 - the girl young master was memorized with,"

 I laughed as I deleted the latter part and retype in "Jung Soo Jung". As I walked back to my room, I turned to Mr Kim and said calmly, "you're my butler indeed. Oh, and we have some where we need to go..."