It's you?!

50 and a half wishes

The usual eatery shop I drank soju at was closed. So I had to walk all the way to the back alley to look for another place. At the small street shop I ordered 3 bottles of soju and sat down.

I lit a Malboro and started smoking. I could feel the other customers talking about me. I wasn’t surprised. For a man wearing expensive suit with a rolex watch and drinking cheap soju at a down-class street shop – it was definitly a sight to gossip about.

I tossed away my thoughts and started drowning myself in the bottles of soju. After 3 bottles, I started feeling drowsy. When I woke up, an angry looking ahjumma was standing beside my table, her arms on her waist.

“You, sir, please pay and go. It’s already 12am.” She frowned and hissed at me.

I looked at her like she was crazy.

“I don’t have a wallet.” I declared proudly, with an expression like I scored a full marks on a test or something.

She shook her head and turned away. She was talking to someone else as she said,  “Sorry, you might have to wait a little longer. Other than this drunk bastard, there are more near the counter. I might need a broom ---“

What drunk bastard,” I said, glaring at her.  “Don’t you know who I am?

She turned back to face me and sighed deeply. “I know who you are.”

I showed her a smirk. “Then you should..”

“You are a drunk bastard who will end up in jail after I called the police. Same goes to all of you!” she screams and points towards the other sleepy looking men who were all sprawled over the place.

“Do you want to visit the jail, or go back home to sleep?” The ahjumma announced, tilting her head like she was teasing me.

I had no choice. I whipped out my phone. With my half-opened eyes, I fumbled around with my phone and called a random number. Any of my “friends” would gladly pay for me. How much would a few bottles of soju cost? In return I reward them with luxury gifts. It was beneficial for them. They should want to help me, right?

“brrrrrr,brrrrr”

...

“……hello?” It was a familiar sounding voice.

I was stunned. Isn’t this…

“..oh..soo..soo jung?” I immediately sat straight up.

“Ah…. Jong in-ssi?” she said with her gentle voice.

“It’s nothing, I called the wrong number..” I looked at my phone, 1% of battery left. I turned to look at the angry ahjumma who was folding her arms looking straight at me. I hesitated before returning to the call.

“Actually, are you free right now?” I asked anxiously. My battery told me this phone call would be my last before it passes away.

I regretted calling her for help. My ego wouldn’t have crushed as badly if I went to the police instead.

I watch her as she bowed to the smiling ahjumma after paying the bill for me. The ahjumma kept the money and walked towards the other drunkards.

I remembered our first phone call so vividly. I called her for help 12am in the night, instead of sounding annoyed, her voice was full of worries. She was worried that I would get into trouble. This was……. Some kind of care other than from mr kim, which I hadn’t had in a long time….

Her arms searched around, locating my position. She threw one of my arms over her narrow shoulders, held a black walking stick on her other hand and we started walking. I must be heavy as her steps were unsteady.

I wanted to bury myself alive. I had never felt this crippled in my entire life, before, ever. Someone who can’t see, someone who wasn't even strong enough to help me was helping me so much. At that moment I felt like I wasn’t the wealthy Kim Jong In. I was just as ordinary as she is.

“Where do you live?” she asked with her usual warm smile.

“I…don’t know my address.” I replied hesitantly. I get chauffeured around in a Mercedes. Once I walk out of the big mansion, I sat in the car and upon my destination I step out. I don’t even know which area I lived in, but I can’t tell her all that.

Surprisingly, she didn’t question me any further. Even if I borrowed a public phone, I wouldn't know which number to call. So she kindly offered me her charger at her house so after charging, I could call someone to pick me up.

This must  be what they call….....care.