30th

50 and a half wishes

It has been 6 months since me and soo jung made those 50 wishes. It sounded ridiculous at first, but I was glad I did it with her. I was no longer as useless as I think I was. I'm already on my 29th wish.

 

Today, soo jung came over to my house. We discussed about holding a birthday party for so won. I had wanted to do something for so won as well.

“we can order some snacks,” “have some games too!” “what about the decorations?”

We were so indulged in our discussion that we didn’t know it was already 9pm.

We decided to take a short break by having dinner.

After dinner, I came into the living room holding on to a book.

I flopped down next to soo jung and said, “soo jung ah, today let me read you a book.”

She was excited.

“I wasn’t reading it for you, I was just practicing my story telling skills to the kids okay?” I insisted.

She laughs and nodded.

Reading to you was one of my wish.

I took this chance and asked her, “okay, I say I am going to read you The Little Prince. Yes or No? If you get it wrong, call me oppa.”

She sighed and puts her fingers on her chin like she was thinking of something serious.

“….No?” she said after a moment of thoughts.

“TEK! I AM reading The Little Prince. You answered it wrong, so call me oppa from now on.” I laughed hysterically.

“No way, I don’t believe you, tell Mr Kim to say it to me, “ she insisted while trying to snatch the book away from my hands.

At that moment, our hands touched for a second.

Soo jung didn’t have any reaction, but I was flabbergasted. I took my hand away and place it on top of my chest, the part where my heart is.

Why is my heart beating so fast?

“Ah, whatever, just read it,” she says like she have given up.

I took a few breaths and calmed myself down before beginning my read.

“Long, long time ago, there was a little boy…” I read with a voice as soothing as possible.

Half way through the book, I felt a small thud on my left shoulder.

While I was holding the book and reading it, soo jung had fallen asleep on my shoulders.

Oh shut up heart, if you’re too loud she would wake up!

But my heart couldn’t stop beating fast.

I smiled as I noticed her sleeping peacefully beside me.

 

I was beginning to fall in love. I don't know when it started.

This was a fact that I couldn't deny.

But I don't ever want to let her know.

I'm already on my 30th wish.

These wishes felt like my life span - I'm already over the half mark of those wishes, and I'm halfway to my grave.

I was a fool for falling in love with someone I know I can never have.

If these feelings were real, I thought, I was happy to be able to experience it at least.

I slowly put down the book that was titled, "Gone with the wind."

I'm sorry soojung, it was indeed not The little Prince I'm reading. I just wanted to enjoy the fun with you.

But I was glad I've managed to read to her, and that concludes my 30th wish.