The kids and I

50 and a half wishes

I was smiling…

And smiling….

And smiling.

I couldn’t help it. I was going to meet soo jung.

I swear I wasn’t even this happy when I met some kpop girl group the other day.

why was I this happy?

I rest my head on the window as I recalled back to our phone call the other day…

 “Making 50 wishes sounds great, but I don’t even know where to start.” I said with a sigh.

“You don’t have to think so hard about what you are going to do to fill up the 50 blanks. If something just comes to you, then just do it.” She says.

“Can i… go to your school?” I asked. I wanted to see her teach. Perhaps I can have some meaningful things to do if I followed her around.

“yes, the kids would be very happy with a visitor!” soo jung said in a delighted tone.

….And that’s how we decided to meet.

The car came to a halt.

“We are here, young master.” The stern-looking chauffeur said.

I adjusted my Hermes tie and stepped out of the car. I lift my head high. Students here must be bowing to me right at this moment…wait… why is it so noisy?

“Weird uncle” “who’s that” “his clothes looks gross” “is that a tie or a piece of seaweed!”

I.was.astounded.

I looked around my surroundings. I read the school sign : Baekcheon Kindergarten school.

Kindergarten… I repeated in my head. As I walked around, kids were everywhere. They were running, jumping, screaming and full of energy.

Soon, while I was standing in the middle of the field, a flood of kids just ran towards me like I had a bar of gold. But no, they are just kids. I held up my right hand which was carrying on to a bag of sweets, which soo jung told me to prepare. They reached out for it frantically and excitedly. What’s there to be attracted about, I thought, these are worth nothing.

A kid begin to clasp on to my right leg, I struggled with my walking and every other kid just laughed. Another boy jumped to bear-hug my waist and refused to let go.

I said while pointing at them, “Ok look… please get off me, if i give you credit cards would you please leave?”

The kids were just screaming and playing with me.

“stop that, you guys,” soo jung’s voice called from behind me. She was wearing on to a light pink sweater and had on a long brown skirt. She was walking towards me with the help of a walking stick and an angry looking girl who was leading her. Her smile was as warm as usual.

The kids moved away and started surrounding soo jung.

I couldn’t hold back my curiosisty of these strange little people.

“hey, where are you going? You don’t want credit cards?” I quickly took out my wallet.

Soo jung laughs as she gave out the sweets to the kids.

“Jong in-ssi, they are just kids. They are much more pure than what you think they are.” She says as she took a sit on the bench. She called out for someone named so won. The angry looking girl who was leading her just now walked towards us.

“She’s so won, the class chairman.” Soo jung says as she introduces so won.

“Class chairman?” impressed, I said, “then do you own a company?”

Soo jung laughed again, but the so won girl just kept staring at me.

The girl finally spoke.

“Don’t be close with soo jung eonnie.” The girl suddenly declared. “I will bite you, you bad ahjussi.” The girl frowns and walks away.

“I’m sorry, Jong in - ssi, She’s somewhat protective of me. She thinks of me like an older sister.” Soo jung explains.

I replied that I understood her.

I observed the old building. Its walls have not been painted for years. The furniture inside looked old.

“This school is bound to collapse,” soo jung says like she could read my mind. She closed her eyes to feel the breeze.“Another new school near by took away its popularity.”

“so the principal bought a piano to boost back its popularity?”

“Yes, and sought me for help. But honestly, a mere piano isn’t going to help.” Soo jung sighed.

This time, a few kids ran towards where we were sited and exclaimed cheerfully, “soo jung sonsaengnim, is this ahjussi going to help the school?”

Ahjussi? They need to re-learn their vocabulary.

One of them held my hands tightly.

“Are you going to help this grandmother?” the kid asked me with eyes as big as a doll.

“Grandmother?” I asked.

“They say this school is like a sick grandmother. It will die if you don’t take care of her.”

I wasn't sure of how I should respond.

They grasped my hands tightly. They were asking me for help.

Their attention span to the matters of the school was short lived as they quickly turn around to play dodge ball.

These little people intrigued me.

I was curious; these little people didn't want credit cards, they want sweets. This was the first time in my life where people rejected my offering. Soo jung said they are more pure than I think they are. They are like angels.

Perhaps not everyone in this world is as greedy as I think there is. Perhaps I just mixed with the wrong type of friends. Money is not the priority to everyone, especially to these little people.

I recalled how they looked at me and asked if I am helping them. I really felt like I need to help them. They enjoyed being in this school, what rights does anyone has to take that joy away from them?

I leaned back and closed my eyes to think things through.

Look here, Jong in. You have a school to run as well. You should be able to help this school. Aren't you Kim Jong In?