Typical Nerd Day

Jock+Nerd=Error

Ch 6: Typical Nerd Day

Hyojin’s POV

I love learning, no lie, but it’s when I have to do the work in front of people who either hates me or I don’t like them, is what I don’t like. Me having hatred towards people is a strong feeling, so I say just that I don’t like them. My first class is mathematics and that’s my strongest subject, but I don’t like how my teacher always calls on me to solve the problem on the board. Like seriously, can he just pick someone else?

“Who can solve this problem?” my teacher said while looking around. I just kept my head down, trying to solve the problem on my notebook. “Ah, Hyojin-ah. Why won’t you solve this problem?”

‘Can he just stop showing favoritism or whatever it is towards me? I didn’t even get to solve the problem on my notebook, yet. Sheez. Have someone else do the work too.’

Being the obedient person I am, I got off my seat and went down the aisle. My teacher sat down on the teacher’s chair and started grading papers. As I was walking down, someone’s leg stretched out to trip me over. Mission success.

The whole class started laughing. This always happens to me every day that my teacher doesn’t give a about it anymore. My bum started hurting. Gosh, don’t they notice how much this hurts? I got off my buttocks and walked to the board.

I picked up the chalk and started solving the problem. This was secondary school math. I’d rather he teach college math. The equation was, 15x+y=30x, Find y. Just looking at it I already know the answer.

I subtracted 15x from the left side and subtracted it to the 30x on the right side. There you go, y=15x. Very easy. I feel bad for my classmates that can’t solve this kind of problem. Seriously, you need help, just saying.

Without saying a word, I put the chalk down and walked back to my seat. The teacher stood up from his seat and checked out how I solved the problem, “Yes, the answer is 15x. Good job Hyojin. Okay, next equation.”

He erased the problem I solved and wrote a new one. Everyone copied whatever he wrote down and tried to solve it on their notebooks. “Yah.” I heard someone whisper. My head shot up because I knew it was for me. It was my seat partner. “Did you solve the problem?” I nodded, trying to not make eye contact with her. She took my notebook and started copying it. After copying everything down, she handed me a piece of folded paper. It said, I heard your science project partner is Mark and Jackson. Is that right?

I wrote down, Yes. Why? I handed it back to her.

She wrote down whatever she wanted to say and slid it back to me, Want to switch groups? You have Park Jinyoung, Im Jaebum, and Park Jimin. (Park Jimin from 15&, not BTS)

When I read it, I didn’t know who these people were, but if it means to get away from my group, then sure, why not? I wrote, Um, sure. Just make sure you let them know. Why do you want to switch though? My seat partner wasn’t all scary, but she can be very demanding at times.

I want to switch because my Mark oppa is in that group. Who wouldn’t want to be in his group?, she wrote down. Um, me?

All I did was look at her and nodded that I finally understood the situation. The bell rang which means that we have a ten minute break before the next class, science, started. I looked up the board and opened my math workbook to start on my homework.

“What?” I heard which sounds like Juli’s voice yelled out. I looked up and saw my seat partner talking to her. Juli and I made eye contact for a second. I saw Juli nod and then sat back in her seat. My seat partner went out of the classroom and came back with a girl and a boy.

“Hyojin-ah.” I heard her call me. I looked up to my seat partner, I somehow can’t recall her name, and the boy and girl. “This is Im Jaebum aka JB and Park Jimin. Jr!” she yelled. Then a boy who sat on the other side of the class, whom I never noticed, came running towards us. “This is Park Jinyoung aka Jr. This is your new group. Have fun!” then she left.

“What’s your name?” Jimin asked as she sat down next to me.

“A-Ahn H-Hyojin.” I stuttered. I am not that good with meeting new people.

“Ahn Hyojin,” she repeated. “That’s a nice name. Welcome to the group!” she said excitedly.

“Take of care us~” JB said with a smile. I looked at all of them and they were all… smiling… at me.

I think I’ll like this group better. No, I know…

“Ah, we already know what we’re going to do with our science project. So just follow us.” Jr. told me.

“Can I get your phone number? We can meet up today. After school.” Jimin asked.

But I have something with Mark… nah, he won’t mind. I’ll just text Jackson to let him know. I nodded and Jimin and I switched phones as we added our phone numbers into each others’ phone.

“Me too!” Jr. and JB yelled simultaneously. “Yah!” they yelled at the same time at each other. “Stop copying me!” they said at the same time, again. I chuckled.

“Yah! Stop it! Just give Hyojin your guys’ phone and she’ll add it in. Jeez.” Jimin jokingly whined. They both gave me their phone and I gave them my phone.

 After switching phone numbers, we had a fun time. I feel like I got closer to Jimin by the minute. Jr. and JB were always fooling around. Jr. looks like the dancer type because he would sometimes dance out of nowhere. JB looks like the derp type because he would make funny faces after a funny joke. The bell rang and we all had to go back to our seats or classes.

“Just follow Jr. to meet us after school.” Jimin told me before leaving. I nodded and went back to my work.

The students of my class started piling in and once my seat partner, who I still can’t recall, sat down, she asked, “Like your new group?”

I nodded, “How about you?”

She scoffed, “I love it.” I nodded and took out our science notebooks.

“Attention.” The class president said. “Bow.” We all bowed while saying, “Good morning.”

“Good morning everyone. I hope you guys and your groups have already decided what you guys are doing for your science project. And if you haven’t decided yet, it’s okay, you still have time. I forgot to tell you guys the deadline. The deadline is in a month. So you guys still have time, but don’t do the work last minute.” My teacher said.

After all the announcements she made, we went to work. We had to work on how humans changed after all these centuries. To me, it was a cool topic. I’ve already learned about this, but it was cool to learn about it the high school way. My science teacher would always make me the first one to read when we would read an article.

“Hyojin. Can you please read the first paragraph?” I already knew this was coming. I took a glance at the paragraph before reading the first word, and oh boy, this is the longest paragraph out of the whole article!

I sighed and stood up. Whenever you’re reading to the class, you have to stand up and read out loud. I started talking and I would stutter. I have this thing where when I talk in front of many people, I start to stutter. My whole class would snicker. I’m used to hearing it already, so I just ignored it. After reading it, I sat right back down. My teacher called on another person and that person started reading.

After reading the article, my science teacher wrote down the homework on the bored and left the classroom so that we can talk about our science project with our groups. But once the teacher left the room, Juli ran straight to me. “Yah! Why did you switch groups? Did you not like us that much?” she yelled. Maybe.

“I do like the group, but I think you guys will like it better with my seat partner here.” I pointed to my seat partner who was listening to our conversation. Juli clicked her tongue and walked away.

“Does she not want me in her group?” my seat partner asked.

“I’m pretty sure she won’t mind. You’ll have fun.” I told her. “Umm.” I started. She looked at me, “I forgot your name. What’s your name again?” I asked cautiously because I don’t want her to get mad at me for forgetting her name.

But she chuckled, “I’m Baek Yerin.” I nodded and saw Jr. walk to me.

“Hey Hyojin.” He smiled at me. I like his smile. “Let’s go to 2-A. JB hyung and Jimin are waiting for us.” I nodded and bid a see you later to Yerin before following Jr. out of the room.

“Hyojin-ah!” Jimin yelled once Jr. and I entered the room. The atmosphere of the room feels weird. This was my first time in this classroom because what business do I have here? I smiled to her and waved to her. She waved back and patted the seat next to her, signaling me to sit there. JB and Jr. sat in the seats in front of us.

“So Hyojin, when is your birthday?” JB asked.

“My birthday?” I asked. They all nodded. “M-May 24.” I said quietly.

“Oh, you’re older than Jr. and I.” Jimin said.

“I’m the oldest here.” JB pointed to himself.

“Hyung, just tell her what our project is.” Jr. whined.

“Okay, okay, okay. Our science project is pretty simple, but we are testing out how iodine makes dirty water change into clear, drinkable water.” JB explained.

“Yeah, I’ve seen it on the science channel before.” Jr. popped in.

“Is it too simple noona?” Jr. asked. Oh, he looked cute with his confused face.

I shook my head, “No not at all. I’ve never heard of that before. We can do that.”

“Great! We are going to test it out today at my house later. Instead of following Jr. who will probably talking to girls and will be late at my house, just meet us in front of the school.” Jimin told me.

Wow, they are all so nice. How come I have never met these people before? Oh right, I’m a nerd. They all look so very popular. Why would they be nice to me? I know we’re all human, but the society these days is very hectic.

“Oppa~” a girl called with a cute voice. We all turned our heads and a girl who caked her face with makeup came in and went towards JB with a notebook. “Can I get your autograph? You did so well on Friday.”

JB made a face, but she couldn’t see it. He smiled, “Of course and thank you.” He signed his name onto her notebook. Why is he giving an autograph? It’s not like he is famous. Or is he? I may never know. The usual term is ‘the world may never know’, but since I don’t know anything, I may never know.

“Jaebum oppa,” I called out; it felt weird to say that, “why did you give her your autograph?” I asked after the girl left.

“Do you know us at all?” Jr. asked pointing to him and JB. I shook my head. “Wah, you’re really something, Hyojin. We are on the football team and we won championships last Friday!” I nodded my head with my mouth open. “You’re not a football fan, huh?” I nervously shook my head.

“It’s alright. I’m not either, join the club.” Jimin squeezed me into a hug.

This was the first time someone hugged me… for me. Have I finally made a real friend? I feel glad to even call her a friend. This was the first time I have smiled like I am, right now, in front of people who I feel comfortable with. In the middle of our fun conversation, a paper ball hit my head. My science project group was worried about me. I told them I was okay, and they pretended to accept that. After a good seven seconds, a bunch of paper balls hit me, in the face.

“Yah!” my whole science group yelled at the group of girls who threw it at me.

“Are you okay, Hyojin?” JB asked me as his hand was cupping my face. Somehow I was having this feeling that someone was glaring at the back of my head. I didn’t even dare to turn my head. Just in case someone was going to throw something worse than paper balls.

One of the girls stood up from her seat and sat on the desk I was sitting by. “Why are you guys hanging out with this geek? She only brings bad luck. And she can barely do .” My confidence went down.

“Yah! Don’t talk about her like that! She’s not a geek! I pretty sure the one that brings bad luck is you! I bet you can’t even do also. Tch, can’t even solve an equation as easy as 15x+y=30x.” Jr. yelled at her. The whole classroom was staring at us the whole time, but mostly me. I’m still having this glaring feeling at the back of my head. I finally turn around and find Mark staring at me. Actually, the whole group, excluding Yerin, was staring at me, but Mark’s eyes seemed furious.

The girl scoffed, but couldn’t think of a comeback. Jr. smirked and sat back down. “Sorry about that. We’ll protect you from now on.” JB told me. My group nodded.

Protect me?

“Thanks guys.” I smiled and they all smiled back.

“I like your braces.” Jimin complimented.

“Oh, th-thanks.” I stuttered.

“Oh, you have Ray Ban’s glasses?” JB asked. I nodded. “Wah, you must be rich. Ray Ban’s are expensive.” He added.

“Nah, I’m not rich.” I corrected.

“Let me ask you one thing.” Jr. said. “Why does everyone treat you like what just happened earlier?”

I didn’t know what to say. Should I mention my past? My past which I really regret? I can trust them, right?

I sighed, “Well, most of the people who bully me came from the same secondary school as me. I was still a nerd back then. But back then, I didn’t have braces. My eyesight was pretty bad too, so my whole life I have to wear glasses. But, the reason why they treat me like that is very simple. I’m a nerd. And not a lot of people like nerds. I don’t really know the reason why people do stuff to me, but one thing I know for sure, is that they hate me. I don’t have good sense of style, I have ance, I wear glasses, I wear braces, I get straight A’s, I love to play video games, and I’m those loners who never get a chance in love.”

“So? That doesn’t give people the right to bully you.” Words of wisdom came from Jr.’s mouth.

“Yeah. Even if you have those traits, it doesn’t make you are any different from anyone else.” JB added.

“Because in the end, we are all human. And humans shouldn’t do that to each other.” Jimin added.

“But if anyone dares to bully you again, we’ll be there to protect you.” Jr. said.

“Thank you guys, but I don’t want you guys to…” I was cut off.

“It’s okay. We want to do it.” Jimin warmly said. “Do you want to have lunch with us?” she asked.

I shook my head because I’d rather be alone, “It’s okay.”

“Okay, well, if you change your mind, we’re going to be in here.” Jimin reminded me. I nodded and smiled.

The bell rang and we all isolated from each other. Jr. decided to say one more thing to JB so I went to my class by myself. But then LOADS of paper balls were thrown at me.

Here we go again…

I entered back into my classroom, and the door seemed to be closed. Weird, the doors are usually open so that the students can exit and enter their classrooms. I sit near the back, so I went through the back door. The back door was a sliding door, so I opened the door, and SPLASH!

‘What a loser!’

‘Hahaha!’

‘I don’t feel bad for her one single bit.’

‘She deserves it anyways.’

I heard my classmates say as they stared at me, soaking wet. My hair was wet, so was my uniform, shoes, everything! All I did was stand there until I couldn’t. I didn’t fight back; I’m not that kind of person to. I’m so weak. Tears started flowing down my face, but you can barely see it because of the water streaming down my whole body. Then all of a sudden, someone hit with a pillow filled with loose goose feathers. How the hell did they bring that here?! I fell to the ground as they did so.

I picked myself up and stormed out of the room. The whole class was laughing at me as I ran away. I ran to my locker, grabbed my extra clothes and ran to the girl’s bathroom. My regular and gym locker has at least three extra uniforms because, for example, of what happened just a few seconds ago. It was a good thing everyone was in their respective classes already or else I would encounter more bullying.

I looked at myself in the mirror… one word, HIDEOUS! Feathers were all over my body, water was running down my body, and my glasses were all fogged up by the water. What is the purpose of this? What benefits does it give them? No matter how much I want to do something about it, I can’t. I’m just a nerd, and who wants to listen to the low class geeks? Exactly, no one! Why must my school be a cruel place?

“Hyojin!” I heard a girl’s voice yell out. No please, not another bullying plan. “Hyojin are you okay?” the girl asked as she tried to clean out the feathers off of me.

I turned to see who it was. “Jimin? H-how did you…”

“Jr. told me what happened and I thought that you might need a friend to help.” She sweetly said. She continued to take the feathers off of my uniform.

“Jimin?” I asked.

She stopped what she was doing and asked, “Yes?”

“You go to class. I’m just going to change and go home. I don’t think I can go back in there. I’ll just meet you guys somewhere.” I told her. Jimin nodded and still continued to take off the feathers. When she was done, she bid me a ‘see you later’ and left to go to class. I was worried that she’ll be scolded for being late. I’ll take the blame for it if she does.

I cleaned myself up and went back to my classroom to get my stuff. The teacher wasn’t even there yet, so I just got all of my stuff and went. The whole class was staring at me the whole time like I murdered someone. As I exited the school, I took out my phone and texted my dad.

To: Dad
From: Me

Appa, I left the school. I’ll explain later. For now, I’m just going to go to work and after school ends, I’m going to do my science project with my group.

I put my phone in my pocket and went to the bus stop. I felt my phone vibrate.

To: Me
From: Dad

Alright. You don’t need to explain, sweetie. It’s okay. I’m here for you. And don’t come home too late.

I smiled, a bit, when I read my dad’s text. He’s known what I’ve been going through. He says that he wants to switch me to another school, but I declined so that my dad doesn’t have to go through a lot of papers. And he can also save money because of the transferring fee. I don’t want to put my dad through all of those hardships. While waiting for the bus, I texted Jackson to let that evil creature know that I won’t be able to meet him after school. He just replied with an ‘okay.’

I got on the bus and went to my work place. I worked in a small café with really nice people. Nicer than the people in my school. When I entered, I was greeted by one of the guys, “Oh, Hyojin-ah! I haven’t seen you for awhile!” Zelo exclaimed

“It’s only been like 4 days.” I corrected.

“Still, we all missed you!” Zelo said as he hugged me. He never failed to make me smile and happy.

“Oh Hyojin-ah. It’s still school hours, why are you here?” my boss asked.

“It’s one of those days, again.” I said in a sad tone. All of the workers know my story and what I’ve been through. Ever since then, they have been there for me every single time I needed them.

“Oh, someone needs a hug.” Zelo came to me and hugged me again.

The rest of the day, I worked at the café. It’s a good thing that I work kind of far from my school so that I don’t need to face those monsters I call classmates.

 

 

 

 


author's note:

Here's another update for y'all. I made this one long because I know that you guys are expecting more, and I want to meet up to your guys' expectations. This is the longest chapter I've written; 7 pages on word. I hope I met up to your guys' expectations. This weekend I will be in Canada, and I am not sure if I'll be able to update a lot, but I'll try. I've noticed that I don't post gifs of our Moooorrk (in Shinyoung's voice), so here's a gif to y'all. I was spazzing when he said this!

thanks for reading~saburiina