I Can't Breathe

Jock+Nerd=Error

Chapter 13: "I Can't Breathe"

Hyojin’s POV

“Hey, Hyojin-ah, do you have the mascara?” Juli asked. I know I really hate Juli, but she’s the only friend I got.

I looked over the whole counter for 30 seconds. “And which one is that?” I asked trying to pick out which one is the mascara. It’s my first time handling make-up and right now, I am having the hardest time of my life. I don’t know which goes where.

You’re probably wondering, what am I doing with makeup? Well, I’m going to that dance that my teacher announced to my class. And my date is my next door neighbor. Yes, Mark. Let’s just say that after our make out session in his house last week was where and when he asked me, again. And I said yes, but no, we’re not going out. To be honest, there is no way Mark wants to go out with me. He was probably fooling around when he was saying, “Be my girlfriend.” As for Juli, she’s going with some dude I’ve never heard of, Jung Hoseok, I think he’s our grade, or in grade 3; I’m not sure.

Juli clicked her tongue as she looked at me then grabbed the mascara, that was right in front of me, “Sweetie, it’s this one. It says mascara on here. Look, mas-ca-ra! Can you not read?” Oh dayum, the last thing she said ticked me off, but I’m going to be a good girl here and just shut my mouth.

“Well sorry. You know I don’t wear makeup.” I said.

“That’s why, I’m,” she pointed to herself, “doing the makeup for you, and get all of that acne off your face. Seriously, do you use a facial cleanser?” Geez, that hurt. I nodded. “Well you’re not doing quite a good job at handling it. Now,” she clapped her hands, “let’s get started.”

I honestly don’t know what she is putting on my face. I saw a purple-ish powder, and a beige one. She even put this sparkly thing on the inside corners of my eyes. There was this pen that was black and she put it on my waterline and tightline. I wasn’t used to having something on those two things that I kept on blinking. She even put this light beige liquid thing on my face and spread it around my face with a brush, along with some powder. She took a brown pencil and did something with my eyebrows. The last thing she did was put lip balm on my lips. She took the curling iron that she’s been heating up from the beginning and started curling my hair. She’d burn my head here and there, but I trust she knows what she’s doing.

Juli fixed my hair a little bit before turning the chair around… I was speechless. “I look…” I didn’t know what to say, my acne was gone, my curled hair fits my face, and my makeup looks natural on me.

“Beautiful?” Juli said behind me, smiling.

“Different.” I said, also smiling.

“Well honey, that’s the power of makeup. Now go get dressed, I need to do some last minute touches on my face.” She said trying to get me out of the bathroom.

I went back to my room and look at both of our dresses on the bed. My dress was a mint colored A-line dress with a lovely bow at the waist and a bouncy hem; very simple, not extravagant. But for Juli, she went all out. She has a waterfall, strapless dress. It was light pink on the bottom and sparkly on the top. Her pumps were very tall and it matched the top part of her dress. But for me, my shoes were just simple mint colored pumps. It was not too tall, not too short, and just perfect.

I took off my clothes and put on my dress. It took me a minute to put on the dress since it’s just an A-line dress. I walked to my body length mirror and I was pretty satisfied with myself. Never have I looked this pretty before. I walked back to my bed and grabbed my heels. I had quite a hard time because the floor of my room was all rug, but I managed.

“Wow,” I heard a voice. I looked at the mirror to see who’s behind me, it was my dad. I smiled and just continued to admire myself in the mirror as my dad walked towards me. “You look very pretty. Just like your mother.” He said. I started to get a little teary when he said ‘mother’, but I didn’t want to ruin my makeup so I held it in. “Have fun okay dear?” I nodded and hugged my dad.

*ding dong*

“Oh, the boys are here.” My dad said.

“I’ll wait for Juli to finish and then we’ll get out.” I told my dad. He nodded and headed out of my room. Right when he got out, Juli came in. “Wow.” I said. Her face was caked! And by caked I’m talking frosting, sprinkles, and a little cherry on top. She totally went out just for a small dance like this.

“I know right. Oh, I just got a text from J-Hope, he said that it’s not going to be in the school’s gym anymore. It’s going to be on a boat.” She explained. Who is this J-Hope guy?

“And J-Hope is?” I asked.

“It’s Hoseok, my date?” she asked expecting me to know him.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know him.” I stated. Juli shrugged her shoulders and continued to put on her dress. After a few minutes of preparing, she was finally ready. “Let’s go out now? The boys are in the living room.” I said. She nodded and took her little purse with her. So did I.

Juli and I walked out of my room and through the hallway. I only saw my dad standing at the end talking to, I’m guessing, the boys. He was laughing… it’s nice to see him laughing a lot. Ever since my mother died, he’s been very cold, but with the help of the boys, his smile is coming back. My dad turned his head to us and looked back at the boys before scooting away.

I was pretty nervous to walk through the hall. You can hear the sound of our feet hitting the floor. My heart was beating faster as Juli and I reached the end of the hall. The first thing that caught my eye was the red haired guy with a mint colored tie. Then next to him was a very tall guy with black hair and a pink bow tie. Wow, we all didn’t plan this matching.

“You looked very beautiful Hyojin.” Mark said. I looked down because I wanted to hide my blushing face, but he raised my chin up to his face and said, “Don’t look down. You look cute when you blush.” That made me blush even more.

“Let’s take photos?” my dad asked. We all chuckled and nodded. We all stood in front of this white plain wall that has nothing against or on it and the boys were in the middle while the girls were on the outside. We took more than 20 photos each and had to go to the dance before we’re late and the boat sets sail.

We all got into J-Hope’s car and drove off to the destination. My hands started shaking because I was scared that all of Mark’s fangirls were going to kill the living out of me. I guess Mark noticed my shaking and held my hand. I looked up to him and he was smiling, “It’s okay. I’ll make sure those crazy lunatics won’t hurt you. I’ll stay by your side the whole time.” I nodded and smiled back.

“We’re here!” J-Hope yelled. Mark and I looked out of the window to see how the venue looks like.

“Wow, the boat is huge!” Juli excitedly yelled.

“Let’s go?” Mark asked me. I nodded and we all got out of the car. “Hey, you guys go ahead. I want to talk to Hyojin before going in.” J-Hope nodded and Juli winked at me. What does that wink mean?

I turned to Mark and asked, “So you needed to talk to me?”

Mark bit his lip. Then all of a sudden he started kissing me. I love the way he kisses me. Okay, I’ll admit, he’s a pretty good kisser, no lie. And then there’s me who doesn’t know what to do, but just does what he does. It works, but I’m not sure if I’m even doing it right. Hey, I’m a nerd, nerds don’t know these things. I bet he can taste my strawberry lip balm. He pulled back slowly before leaning his forehead onto mine.

“So~ is that what you needed to tell me?” I asked, clueless. Trust me, I am.

“That, and that I love you.” He said. My eyes widened. No guy has ever told me that… my heart was beating so very fast that I couldn’t breathe. My head started feeling dizzy. My vision started to get blurry. I could feel my face get cold all of a sudden.Tears were coming out. The last I heard before falling onto the ground was “Hyojin-ah!”

 

 

 

 


author's note:

I am deeply sorry everyone that I haven't updated in a month. I've so very busy. I have practices for 2 things every single day and I have a competition coming up in November. This story is about to end in a few chapters, sadly. But that is just how the plot goes. I tried to make this chapter 4 pages on word, but it just exceded to 3 pages, sorry about that. I hope you all like this chapter! I'm starting on chapter fourteen right now! I hope I get it finished early. Don't forget to smile guys :D
EDIT 2-14-16: So I had a HUGE restriction because of this chapter and the next chapter for the sequel so she no longer has her condition. Just to let you guys know! Some details will change!

thanks for reading~saburiina