One Slow Dance

Jock+Nerd=Error

Ch. 14: One Slow Dance

Mark’s POV

I didn’t know what to think at the moment. The love of my life, with open as if she needed to drink something. I called the police a few seconds ago and they said that they would be here in a minute since this venue is near a police station. A second later, I heard sirens. Yes, finally!

“Sir, please help her!” I yelled at the paramedic. 2 paramedics put her on a gurney and into the ambulance. Never had I encountered something like this before.

“Were you the only one who was with her?” the paramedic asked. I nodded. “Please come and accompany her.” I nodded and hurried into the ambulance. While we were on the road to the hospital, my eyes started tearing up. The love of my life, on a gurney, with an oxygen mask on, on the day I was going to officially ask her to be my girlfriend… “Did you call her guardian?” the paramedic asked.

“I’ll get right to it.” I said before taking out my phone. I dialed Coach Park’s number and waited for him to pick up.

“Hey Mark how’s the-“ I cut him off.

“Mr. Park! Hyojin couldn’t breathe and fell to the ground. We’re on our way to the hospital right now.” I told him.

He took awhile to respond, “Which hospital?” he asked. His voice sounded shaky.

“Excuse me, what’s the name of the hospital we’re going to?”  I asked the paramedic.

“Yongdong Hospital.” He replied.

“Thank you. Yongdong Hospital.” I said over the phone.

“Okay, I’ll be right there. Watch out for her until I get there.” I nodded even though he can’t see me and hung up on the phone. I put my phone away and looked at Hyojin. She looked very pale.

“How could this happen? She looked perfectly fine earlier.” I asked myself.

“Well, did she drink water or any liquid the whole day?" The paramedic asked as he sat on his seat, holding Hyojin's feet because the ambulence was moving everywhere.

I thought for a moment, "No, I don't think so. I was only with her for about an hour. Wait, why?" I asked curious as to why he would ask such a random question.

“After observing her pale face and cold skin, she is dehydrated. This is a usual incident so she will be just fine after getting some rest and water. So, how did this happen?” he asked.

My eyes widened and I blushed a little, “It might be weird to say this, but we were making out… and she backed away looking in all kinds of directions like she was looking for something. Then tears started coming out and then she fell to the ground.”

He chuckled and shook his head, “You teenagers.” I chuckled a little bit. "She really reminds me of her mother." He added. Her mother? He knows her mother? I gave him a look that asked him to explain more. "I guess you can say I'm pretty old. I used to assist her mother when her mother was having Hyojin. And I remember that her mother came in because she was dehydrated. I remember once she woke up, the first thing she asked was, "How is my baby?" to me. I told her that her baby was perfectly fine, but to take care of herself. Hey, we’re here.” He said. I quickly got out of the ambulance so they can start treating her. I walked behind everyone as we entered the hospital and they ran to the emergency room. I just stopped walking when we reached the waiting area. “I’ll let you know what happens after her treatment. Oh, and what is your relationship with her?”

I gave a warm smile, “Her boyfriend.”

“Mark!” I heard a voice call. I turned around and saw Mr. Park running towards me. His eyes were puffy. I can tell that he was crying in the car. But it’s okay, I knew the reason why. “Where’s my daughter?” he asked. I pointed to the emergency room and all of a sudden, his legs just gave up and he fell to the floor.

“Mr. Park!” I yelled. I helped him up and sat him down in one of the chairs.

“What happened? Is she hurt? Did you do something to her?!" With every question Coach Park asked, his voice got louder and louder. I shook my head and he sigh in relief. "What happened? She was perfectly fine as she left the house."

My eyes widened like how I did when the paramedic asked me. I swallowed my saliva before talking, “Well, umm.” I rubbed the back of my neck, “We were umm making out, and then all of a sudden she fell to the ground.”

I looked at Mr. Park’s face and he didn’t seem to mind when I said that we were making out. “I see.” Was all he said. From then on, everything was silent. None of us talked. We just looked at each other and then at the door. That’s all we did. I honestly didn't like the tension in the air. I could tell that he was angry at what happened.

Finally the nurse came out, “Mr. Park, your daughter is perfectly fine. She just needed some time to rest and drink water. That’s it.” Mr. Park nodded and shook his hand thank you.

“Mr. Park I am so-“ he cut my off.

“Mark,” he looked at me with anger in his eyes, “don’t talk to Hyojin or even be around her until I say it’s okay to.” I gulped and nodded. I felt something stabbed my heart when he told me that. But if it’s to make Hyojin feel better, I’m willing to do anything. I hope Coach Park will forgive me. I didn’t know that would happen. But I guess I do now.

The nurse told Mr. Park what room she will be in until she gets better to be released and he started walking, not even saying goodbye to me or looking back at me. The nurse walked to me and gave me advice, “Everything is going to be okay. He was cold like this when his wife died. Don’t take it to heart. All you can do now is wait for Mr. Park to cool down.”

I nodded in understandment. I honestly don’t know what to do now. But then, an idea popped into my mind. I run walked to the reception desk and asked, “What room is Ahn Hyojin in?”

She typed something in the computer and said, “Room 315.” I thanked her and went to the elevators. I ran as fast as I could. I didn’t want to lose this chance. A chance I can have next time, but I have a chance now; why waste it?

I finally got to the room and once I entered the room, panting, Mr. Park looked at me and said in a calm voice, “I thought I told you not to go near her.”

Then we heard a groan noise. We looked at Hyojin and saw that she was moving, and waking up. I didn’t want her dad to yell at me so I stayed at my spot. Her eyes opened and I saw her make contact with her dad first then me. I smiled and she smiled too. “Mark, please, get out.”

“Wait, sir, I want to ask you something.” I pleased.

“What is it?” he asked.

“Since I have this suit on and your daughter is right here, may I ask of you to have just one slow dance with her?” I’m not even looking at Hyojin, but I can tell that she is blushing really hard right now. I find it pretty cute when she blushes.

“I’m sorry, no. You’re the one who caused this and I don’t want you anywhere near my daughter. Is that understood?” His voice started to get louder.

My confidence went down and just nodded. I didn’t want to hurt Hyojin. I never want to ever hurt Hyojin. And if it means to stay away from her so that this won’t happen again, I would. I said my apologies and started walking away from the door not even saying bye to her.

“Wait!” I heard Hyojin yell. I stopped walking and looked at her. Her dad did so too. “Daddy, it’s just a slow dance, it won’t hurt me… Mark won’t hurt me.” She said.

“But he’s the reason why this happened. If you guys didn’t make out, then you would have entered the venue and maybe finally get some water to quench your thirst.” Her dad argued.

“Daddy, he didn’t know. And I think that you should give Mark a chance. He’s your quarterback, and I don’t want you guys to have ties against each other just because of me. So please daddy? May I slow dance with Mark?” She asked. I have never seen her like this before. She’s no longer that nerd that always hid in the corners and never stood a chance with any guy. She’s the new Ahn Hyojin. My Hyojin.

Coach Park looked me, sighed, and looked back at her, “Fine, but if he does anything that will-“ Hyojin cut him off.

“Daddy. He won’t. Now can we have a moment alone? In peace?” I guess her father had enough of arguing that he faintly smiled at her, then me, and left the room. I sighed and walked to her, who’s still lying on the bed.

“Look, I am very, deeply sorry for-“ she cut me off. Wow, she cuts off a lot of people.

“No, no. It’s okay. It’s not your fault; sometimes I get lazy to get a cup of water or even remind myself to drink something..” She told me. I didn’t know what to say. I kissed her on her forehead and took out my phone. I went onto a music player website and searched up, “Almost is Never Enough Instrumental,” and played the song.

I stuck my hand out and asked, “May I have this dance?”

She smiled and she got off the bed and slow danced with her arms around my neck and mine around her waist. This wasn’t the exact place where I was going to ask her out, but I feel like it was right, “Hyojin?” I asked.

“Yes?” she whispered.

“I know that this may not be the perfect place to ask you this, but… Will you be my girlfriend?”

“Yes.”

 

 

 

 


author's note:

So I got that disease from a doctor when I was visiting a hospital for people who want to become nurses in the future. And they explained about how it works and the symptoms and all of that jazz. I was very interested in that disease so I decided to put it in this story LOL. Bet you didn't see that coming did you? So yeah, I wrote this whole chapter in one day, like right after I finished chapter 13, but then my computer was being crappy so I couldn't proofreed it. But now my computer is up and running and good to go. I hope you guys like this chapter! Don't forget to smile :D
EDIT 2-14-16: So as I stated in the last chapter that because of the diease Hyojin had, it really restricted me from writing anything else for them to do in the sequel. I  apoloized for the HUGE switch, but this was for my sake of giving you guys an enjoyable story.

 

thanks for reading~saburiina