He Knew

Intuition

Jongin entered his cold art studio and shivered slightly. He didn't remember it being this cold when he last visited. He marched over to the row of cabinets along the back wall and approached the third one. He pried the silver lock from the large metal doors and yanked the cabinet open. Inside were rows and rows of shelves carrying various sizes, shapes, and textures of canvas. Jongin bent down and pressed his palm against the concrete flooring to hold his balance. It was cold like an uncovered zip-locked bag of ice exposed to bruised skin. He could feel his nose running but he ignored it.

Jongin reached up and removed a canvas from the fourth row of shelving. It was a 36 x 48 watercolor canvas. He pushed against the floor and stood to his feet. He hooked the blank canvas under his arm and pitter-pattered over to the opposing wall to sit under the windows. It set a different tone when he sat under the sunlight.

He sat the canvas down on the windowsill and scurried over to drag his old, wooden easel and his matching stool to the spot. He plopped his body down on the stool and fetched his clear canvas from the sill. He began the smooth canvas with his pencil outlining the cover of Kyungsoo's upcoming book.

“Wrecked,” Jongin whispered as he drew the margins. As his pencil traced the page, his mind went back to a memory; a dream. He remembered the way the water flowed under the bridge caressing each rock as it curled into every crease and crevice, he remembered the way the hills sat in the background adding texture to the landscape, he remembered the breeze that ran through his hair, he remembered the way the man next to him looked.

Jongin sat the pencil down on the easel and rubbed his eyes with a quiet sigh. Why this man? Why Kyungsoo?

Jongin glanced over at the solid storage room door. That’s where he put all of his personal art; the art based on his dreams, thoughts, and memories. He gently stood from the stool and shuffled over to the little studio closet. He grabbed the cold knob and twisted it as far as it would go. He forced the door open with a hard push and entered the dark room. He reached out and felt along the wall searching for the light switch. When he found it, he flicked it up and stared into the room. It reeked of stale paint and aged wood. His eyes traced each piece and with each one his heart skipped a beat. For months he’d dreamt of one man. A man with a heart shaped smile, big round eyes, and hair the color of a night sky. For months Jongin had been dreaming of one man; Do Kyung Soo.

Despite meeting the man for the first time only yesterday, Jongin had known Kyungsoo for months. He knew his fears, he knew his loves, he knew his desires, his inspirations, he knew his passions, he knew his heart. Jongin knew who this man really was behind all the barriers and masks; Jongin knew the real Kyungsoo.