Needed

Intuition

Kyungsoo stared blankly at the computer screen waiting for that special, magical idea to pop into his mind so that he could finish his book, but nothing came to mind. He had been searching for an idea for multiple weeks now and yet, he still found nothing.  Releasing a sigh of defeat, Kyungsoo stood from the computer and turned towards the curtained window. With a single blink of an eye Kyungsoo realized the effects of staring at a computer screen for hours nonstop and squeezed his eyes shut hoping to terminate the stinging. He didn’t know what time it was until he pushed back the thick, brown curtains over the window allowing a string of bright light to shine into his room. A gentle smile painted itself on his face as he stood in the window allowing the sun’s rays to wash away his worries. Closing his eyes and taking in a full gulp of fresh air, Kyungsoo took one more moment to enjoy the sunlight before returning to his computer. It had been four weeks since he’d last left the apartment. To leave would only be a distraction, and as much as he’s love to take a break from writing, he could afford no distractions.

Tired of waiting for a thought to come, Kyungsoo left the window and walked past the desk where his computer resided. He exited the petite bedroom and wandered down the hall until he reached the kitchen. He approached the refrigerator hoping to find something to eat but before he could, Suho barged into the room brushing his teeth in nothing but a pair of blue boxers and black socks. Kyungsoo tried to force his smile back, but it crawled onto his face anyways with a gentle giggle while his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

“What,” Suho asked spitting some foamy toothpaste out onto the carpet while adjusting his posture into a more modeled pose. “I’m hot aren’t I,” he joked tilting his head and winking at the younger lad.

Kyungsoo burst into laughter and shut the refrigerator door. “Sure,” he scoffed walking into the living room.

“Hey, you’ve been working hard the last few weeks. What do you say we take a break? Maybe it’ll help to inspire you,” Suho said as he made his way back into the bathroom to finish his teeth.

Kyungsoo heard the faucet turn on and Suho spit into the sink. He hesitated and glanced down the hall at his bedroom. He had been in there for a while...and he did miss going outside…but the distractions. He could afford none. He sat in silence debating with himself. He was having a difficult time wrapping up the novel, no doubt and maybe some fresh air with some people would help. Kyungsoo looked back over at Suho who was now rummaging through his dresser drawers looking for some clothes.

“Fine. Give me a minute to get dressed,” he mumbled realizing that he was still in his pajamas.

Suho nodded absently still looking for a clean shirt to wear.

Kyungsoo wandered back into his bedroom and looked around at the piles of dirty laundry lying about on his stained carpet floor. He hadn’t been the cleanest the past few days and that was becoming more obvious to him now. Already exasperated with the mere thought of going out, Kyungsoo made his way over to his closet to look for a pair of clean pants. He found a pair lying on the floor of the closet and held them up to his nose to take a deep whiff. With a hum of satisfaction, he slipped off his pajamas and slid into the jeans. A stench filled his lungs and Kyungsoo wiped his eyes before walking into the bathroom to brush his teeth. He placed his hands on either side of the sink and starred into the mirror. Kyungsoo observed his own reflection with great judgment. He hung his head low and looked at his arms. He had rows of bracelets on his right arm. Kyungsoo looked over to his left and saw a little pair of scissors. He frowned and picked them up. He stared at them attempting to remember the last time he used them was. He set them back down and rolled his bracelets off to expose his scars. He admired them with a heavy heart.

“You ready,” Suho called from the living room dragging Kyungsoo back to the present and relieving some of the pain in the memories.

Kyungsoo took one more glance at himself in the mirror and walked out. “Ready.”

When Kyungsoo opened the door, Suho was standing there waiting for him. Kyungsoo immediately felt a rush of guilt and regret fill his heart making it heavy. Suho’s eyes glittered with hope, yet still Kyungsoo could see the pity. His face said it all: I’m glad to see you moving on. But instead of those words being spoken, all Suho said was “let’s go” as he painted a smile onto his face and tangled his arm in Kyungsoo’s.

“So where are we going,” Kyungsoo interrogated hesitantly as he slid into the passenger seat of Suho’s Sudan.

“Well, I figured we’d eat lunch and then maybe go play some basketball or something with the guys,” Suho listed off as he slipped the seatbelt over his chest and clicked it into the lock.

“I want to go outside today,” Kyungsoo said gently looking out the window at the skyline.

Suho looked over at Kyungsoo with a slight smile and soft eyes. Noticing Suho hadn’t spoken for a little while, Kyungsoo focused his attention back to him and looked at Suho.

“What,” he mumbled awkwardly upon seeing the latter starring at him.

Suho’s smile grew. “I missed you,” he said blinking slowly. Kyungsoo’s lips curled upwards slowly as he processed the words.

Taking in a deep breath Suho looked back at the steering wheel and put the keys in the ignition.

“It’s a nice day, why don’t we go to the zoo,” Suho offered swinging his arm behind Kyungsoo’s chair as he backed out of the parking space.

“Okay,” Kyungsoo said in a calm manner while still allowing the enthusiasm to drip off his tongue.

As the two drove in silence, Kyungsoo watched the trees pass by the car windows in admiration.

“It’s pretty outside. I didn’t realize how much I’d missed being outside until now,” Kyungsoo whispered as he stared off in deep thought.

“You’re glad I brought you out now aren’t you,” Suho smiled without taking his eyes from the road.

Kyungsoo looked over at Suho and let his eyes say what his mouth couldn’t: thank you.

Suho stopped at the red light and glanced over to see Kyungsoo’s smiling face. Everything was good. Everything was calm. Suho could see the love in Kyungsoo’s eyes and that was the one and only thing that could heal his wounded heart the way it did. When Suho felt needed, it was as if the world just stopped and everything was perfect. That’s all he ever wanted, was to be needed. But in a split second Kyungsoo’s gentle eyes turned hectic. Now his brows were furrowed and raised in alarm, his eyes were wide in worry. Suho blinked in confusion and the whole world seemed to slow down. He looked behind him, out of his own window, only to see a blinding pair of headlights causing his eyes to sting. But the stinging didn't last for long. There was no more pain, no more worry, no more confusion, there was nothing, only broken glass and blood.