Watching and Waiting

Dollhouse

As the princes settled down for breakfast, you sat on a pile of velvet pillows, stacked onto an armchair so that you would be able to see the table. You haven't actually sat at the table all this time, and it was a bewildering sight to see the princes 'eat' breakfast. All they did was sip on their cups of blood and maintain their perfect postures.

"good morning your higness" the royal advisor came into the dining hall. "...and.. Prince Donghae's doll?" he questioned, since it was your first time being at the table. The princes stared at him questioningly, since he clearly knew that you were like royalty in their eyes, the advisor looked at each of them, confused.

"Princess Jaehwa..." Donghae spoke up. "Her name is Jaehwa," he continued.

"And she is our princess" Kyuhyun beamed.

"I understand your highnesses.. But aren't you a little too old to play like this?" He questioned, thinking they were being childish. You let out a small whimper, only loud enough for Eunhyuk's hearing to pick up..

"Hyung, don't hurt her feelings!" Eunhyuk said to the advisor playfully and held your tiny hand with his fingertips.

"Yeah" Siwon added as he read Eunhyuk's mind "she's special to all of us" He added as he sipped on his cup of blood. The rest simply agreed and the advisor simply shrugged.

"As long as she isn't a distraction to your duties.." he sighed as he too sipped on a cup of blood. (note: the butlers, maids and advisors are all vampires) The princes simply nodded. You sat there, still as usual and just did as you were told : to remain quiet.

"So how's the search team coming along, hyung?" Kibum asked, trying to change the topic and liven up the atmosphere.

The advisor sighed and said "Well, the search team has already searched through everywhere..." he sighed. "No trace of anything related to pixies were found" he said as he sipped on his cup again. "This might take longer than expected.." He said, a little disappointed.

"Well, it hasn't been over a week so they'll have plenty of time" Donghae answered.

"Yes, but the problem is the searches so far have not been very fruitful... the villages are so empty that they don't have much to search through!" the advisor explained, clearly rather frustrated. The princes sighed and looked at each other.

"There will be a way" Siwon said calmly.

"Yes, there will be, we've waited too long... You need to find the power before it's too late. Two more full moons till it's time for the real battle against the demon king.. If he finds the power of the pixies first, he'd be unstoppable." the advisor said.

As you listened in, you got more and more confused by the whole story. Bits and pieces didn't make much sense to you, but your worries grew as you felt more and more afraid of the demons being able to find you and destroy you.

"We've been training hard, hyung" Kyuhyun said. "We're ready as ever, we've been fighting them so much recently" He added.

"Yes, but without the power you'll never wipe them out completely, do you have any idea how fast they turn the mortals into demons? Their bite only takes an hour or so, a vampire's takes about a day or two" the advisor stated. "they could have an army a million times larger than ours if they start transforming every human" he said.

"But they can't" kibum stated.

"Yeah, it's a mutual agreement! Vampires or demons cannot transform the mortals!" Sungmin continued.

"Demons do not play by the rules your hignesses, they may not go on a biting spree, but they may change one or two every now and then" the advisor reminded, true enough, the demons never really played fair. The demon king's clan have been sent out once a year to transform one mortal each, thus once a year, 6 new demons would be recruited. It was a small number, but over the years it could be huge.

The princes were beginning to get worried although they knew their own army was huge enough to fight the demons, however, it was still a little worrying. What if something goes wrong?

"Shall we all go for training now then? I have the sudden urge to." Kibum said, wanting to leave the table.

"I shall leave you alone then your highnesses" the advisor said as he finished his cup of blood and handed it to a maid who took it to the kitchen. He then got up from his seat and bowed before walking off. The princes waited again for the place to be clear before they spoke again.

"It's safe" Eunhyuk said as he didn't hear a sound.

"Oppa, I'm so confused." you said only loud enough for the 6 princes to hear.

"Eunhyuk, Kyu and I will explain everything to you while the rest go for practise." Siwon said as he got up from his seat. Eunhyuk got up from his as well and carried you in his arms and followed Siwon out the door with Kyuhyun tailing him. "see you guys later" Siwon called to the other 3 princes who simply waved back and headed to the garden where they practiced their skills.

Siwon, Enuhyuk and Kyu walked in a straight line, with Siwon walking in the middle. "Jaehwa-ah" he began..

"Neh, oppa" you answered.

"I think it's time we tell you the story" He said as he put his hands into his jeans pockets. "20 years ago, before the 6 of us became royalty, and probably before you ever existed, there was a huge war between the demons and the vampires. the two of our kinds never ever got along, but we decided to come to an agreement, however, that was over a thousand years ago, at the time of the old royalties. " he paused.

"the old royalties have ruled our kind for over 2000 years" Eunhyuk continued.

"Then why did they change?" you asked.

"Cuz they old royalties weren't able to keep up to their standards, but it wasn't entirely their fault, the moment the new demon king was crowned, he declared an impromptu war onto our kind. The royalties were not ready and caused almost the whole mortal population to be wiped out, many vampires had also been lost in the war.. Sad to say, we weren't able to save any of the pixies..." Kyu added.

"but why not?" you asked innocently.

"The demons had decided to wipe out the pixies first, that was their declaration of war, to wipe out our only ally, and by the time the vampires had come to the rescue, the demons had destroyed 90% of the pixie villages." Eunhyuk said. "The pixies and vampires had it uncalled for, so no one was prepared, and we were all too late. The pixies were no match for the demons, they had not sent any form of help to us as they were taken by surprise and were wiped out within 3 days, since they were the minority species. After the pixies have been completely wiped out, the demons went onto killing the humans, which was when things started to get even more messy. Only 2 out of 6 royalties survived the war, the other 4 had been destroyed mercilessly. One was even tortured to death when he was captured by the demon clan." he continued, sadness was shown in his voice.

"How awful..." you said, wishing that you could comfort him with more than words.

"It's okay, honestly we didn't feel too ready to become royalty" Eunhyuk said.

"wae-yo?" you asked him.

"Cuz you see, like we said, everything happened very quickly, the entire world almost fell into the hands of the demon king.." Kyuhyun explained.

"Yes, and we barely survived.. So many lives were lost, literally, from every kind... " Siwon added as he sighed heavily. "Only then, we were next in line for royalty, cuz we have special talents, like I can read minds, Eunhyuk can hear anything from miles away, Kyu can inflict great amounts of pain on anyone he wishes, Donghae controlled water, Sungmon controls fire and Kibum controls nature. Just like the old royalties, who had these powers individually as well. Vampires like us come only every few thousand years.. If we didn't exist, the entire world would be in jeopardy" he explained.

"But why did the other two step down then, oppa?" you questioned.

"Cuz two can't just rule on their own. And although the 6 of them have been mentoring us, they have to step down in order for the 6 of us to be crowned." Kyu said.

"can't the 8 of you rule together?" you asked.

"It's complicated Jaehwa, its part of the agreement we sealed with the demons. To cut a long story short, 6 heads each.. " Eunhyuk said.

"But the demon king plus his clan is 7!" you reasoned.

"thats cuz the demon king doesn't fight at all, he doesn't go to war himself, he just gives the orders and watches" Kyu said flatly. "he selects his clan members very carefully.. He's a clever one, but he's just so evil it makes me sick" he said angrily.

"calm yourself, magnae" Siwon said as he patted kyu's shoulder.

"NO! I will not forgive that bastard for murdering my mother!" kyu yelled loudly. You felt sorry for him as he let tears of anger roll down his cheeks.

"Kyu oppa.." you soothed.

"I'm fine.. Sorry.." Kyu wiped away his tears roughly. "My mother was a royalty," he confessed. "She had her head ripped off in front of my very eyes" Kyu said coldly. "By one of the demon clan themself.. When the time comes, I will kill him so slowly he'd beg me for mercy." Kyu said as he gritted his teeth together. "I still remember that bastard's face when he killed her, cackling that sickening cackle of his. Makes me sick.. "

"Oppa.. " you said, feeling his anger and sadness. "Fight for you mother..." you encouraged.

"I will. She died protecting me, and I will protect her pride till the very end." he said bravely.

"Don't worry kyu, we will avenge all of their deaths. every single on of them." Siwon comforted as he pat Kyuhyun on the shoulder, making Kyuhyun calm down.

"so who's next in line after you oppa?" you asked.

"No one.." Siwon answered flatly.

"Which is why we really need to finish them (the demons) off, and thats why we really need you" eunhyuk said.

"Do you have to kill me oppa?" you aske innocently.

"NO! Of course not!!!" all three of them yelled in unison.

"then how am I supposed to help you?" you said, getting confused again.

"When you become human, you won't be an ordinary human, if you turn into a pixie, you won't an ordinary one either." Siwon explained. "You will be the only one who will be able to defeat the demon king."

"But why wasn't there a pixie like me who existed back then?" you asked.

"one of you only appears every on million years..." Eunhyuk replied flatly.

"We're not able to answer much about the history of the pixies to you Jaehwa.. We don't know that much" Kyuhyun said.

"all the more we need to make sure nothing happens to you.." Eunhyuk said.

"Come, let's go visit their practice"Siwon said as he turned to the practice grounds.