Chapter 9

Heart Keeper

“WAKE UP!!!” Key shouted for the fifth time.

“Can you lower your voice? We’re sleeping here~” Onew said as he covered his face with his pillow.

“Come on, get up. It’s time for school,” Key pulled Onew’s blanket.
“Minho, get up,” Minho was the easiest one to wake up.

“*sniff* *sniff* Taemin, hyung, wake up you two!” Key shook their bunk bed.

“Breakfast is…” Key sneezed before he even finished his sentence.
“Are you sick?” Onew asked as he patted Key’s back.
“I’m the Almighty Key, I never get…*sneeze* sick~” Key hardly finished his words.
“He sounds okay to me,” Jonghyun joked but didn’t make anyone laugh.

==

“Yo, Key oppa!” Amber entered the room with coolness. Key smiled at her sluggishly.
“You look a little… tired,” Amber easily noticed.
“I’m always tired~”
“Oh, right. But you kinda look more tired than the usual,” Amber observed Key’s face.
“Really? I should sleep more then.”

Key didn’t want Amber to worry about him and for him it was just a little cold. He didn’t eat anything that day; he didn’t feel like eating that day. Amber ignored all the things that Key was doing, either she finds it weird or not.

“Hey, Amber, why aren’t you hanging out with Key?” Victoria noticed that there was no sign of Key anywhere near Amber.
“There’s no sign of your ‘boyfriends’ either,” Amber said instead of responding to Victoria’s question.
“Did you have a love quarrel with Key oppa?” Sulli asked jokingly.
“NO!”
“Sulli, how can they have a love quarrel when they hardly fight?” Luna joked with Sulli.

“Stop making fun of Amber.” Krystal defended.
“Thanks, Krys~”
“It’s not her fault she’s in denial right now.” Krystal wanted to mock Amber, too.

“I’ll go now. I’m not in the mood on talking to you girls,” Amber stood up and went back to class. She saw Key leaning his head on his table. Amber thought he was just sleeping so she didn’t mind him.

“Key, sit up straight. The teacher’s coming,” Minho whispered.
“You should’ve just stayed at home.” Minho added.
“I’m fine~” Key snuffled.

After school, Key didn’t stay with his friends instead he went home as soon as he can. He sent message to all of his friends except for Amber. Since Key wasn’t there with the crew, Amber left afterwards. Amber sighed as she passed by the school gate. She had plans with Key but then Key was already gone and that’s kinda disappointing. Someone suddenly tapped her shoulder. She smiled hoping it was Key so she turned her back but saw Jonghyun and not Key.

“You thought I was Key didn’t you?” Jonghyun easily knew from Amber’s reaction.
“No… well, maybe~” Amber looked down.

“Where is that Key anyway?” Amber asked straightly.
“You don’t know? He’s a little sick. He already went home. I thought you’ll know since your classmates and you’re always with him.” Jonghyun answered and surprised Amber. She tried not to be obvious that she was worried so she stayed a little calm until they reached their apartment.

“Jonghyun oppa, can I… come with you…inside?” Amber uttered with a little anxiety.
“Sure. I know you just want to see Key.”
“Don’t be too loud oppa,” Amber still doesn’t want Key to find out what she feels for him.

“I’ll leave you here. I’m just going to buy… anything,” Jonghyun can tell that Amber doesn’t want him there.

Amber went inside the boys’ bedroom and saw Key sleeping soundly on his bed. He looked so tired and sick. Amber was so clueless about Key being sick. She didn’t expect Key to be sick since he’s always hyper everytime they’re together. Now, it just felt really weird for her. She stepped on Onew’s bed and stared at Key.

“You’re so stupid. You should’ve just told me that you’re sick. You’re just making me feel sick, too.” Amber kissed Key’s hot forehead before leaving.

“Amber?” she bumped in with Onew on the way out of the house.
“I just checked on how Key is doing. Bye oppa,” Amber run out and went directly to their place.

“Amber’s really cute~” Onew smiled at Minho and Taemin.
“I’ll go take a look at Key hyung!” Taemin rushed inside their room.
“Yah. Lee Taemin, don’t wake him up!” Minho shouted and followed Taemin.

After having their dinner, they all stayed in their room and do random stuffs. Minho was lying on his bed quietly while reading a book. Jonghyun and Taemin were annoying Onew and Key was still sleeping.

“Can you keep it down a little bit?” Onew was getting annoyed alright.

“YAH KIM JONGHYUN! GET AWAY FROM MY AMBER!” Key suddenly shouted. He was talking in his sleep again and this time they were all sure that Key was having his nightmare.

“See what you did to Key?” everyone looked at Jonghyun.
“What did I do?”
“Why don’t you just give up on Amber and let Key have her?” Taemin was even making sense.

“I could’ve done that months ago if Key told his feelings for Amber from the start,” and Jonghyun also made sense.

==

Right after the girls finish eating, Amber washed the dishes. She was still thinking of Key. He was so fine the other day then he suddenly got sick. The worst was that Key didn’t tell her she’s ill.

“I’m going to bed,” Amber wiped her wet hands.
“Why so early?” Sulli and Victoria were both curious.
“I’m just… tired. Goodnight~” Amber closed the door of their room and made herself comfortable before lying on her bed. After few minutes of staring at the ceiling, she easily fell asleep.

“Unni, help me with my Chinese.” Sulli asked some help from Victoria.
“Find my Korean dictionary first,” Victoria ordered.
“I saw Amber unni reading it last night. I’ll go ask her.” Sulli skipped her way to their room.

“Unni, do you have… oh, there it is!” Sulli grabbed the dictionary from Amber’s side table; then, Amber started talking.
“Key oppa, don’t get sick! I don’t like Jonghyun oppa, I like you!” Instead of being surprised, Sulli just laughed.

“Should I tell Victoria unni? Neh… I’ll just tell Taemin tomorrow,” Sulli came out with smile on her face.
“Why are you smiling?”
“Oh, it’s just that Amber unni is really sleeping. I thought she wasn’t serious earlier. Here’s your dictionary.” Sulli handed it to Victoria.

The next day, Key got better. He was fine again and was happy to go to school. The guys didn’t tell him what they heard while Key was sleeping and kept their mouth shut the whole morning. Minho and Jonghyun left first while Onew and Taemin with a little Key’s presence waited for the girls from next door. Amber was the one who closed the door so she left the apartment last.

“Mouse oppa!” Key was the only one who turned his head.
“Me?” Key pointed to himself.
“Who else looks like a mouse here?” Amber placed her hand on her waist.

“What now?”
“Why did you keep a secret from me?” Amber run to Key.
“What secret?”
“You know, secret of being sick. You really made me anxious~” Amber frowned.

“I just needed some rest, no need to frown. And besides, I’m all better now,” Key grinned.

“Hey, Taemin oppa, I have a secret to tell you.” Sulli can’t keep her secret anymore.
“Then it’s not a secret anymore if you tell me,”
“Well, just listen. Last night, Amber unni was sleep-talking.” Sulli started.
“That’s it?” Taemin was kidding.

“No. Do you know what she said while she’s sleeping?”
“What?”
“She said ‘Key oppa, don’t get sick. I don’t like Jonghyun oppa, I like you!’ I think that’s what it was,”
“Really? What a coincident. Last night, Key hyung sleep-talked, too. He kinda said, ‘Yah, Kim Jonghyun, get away from my Amber!’. Is there a chance that they secretly like each other?” Taemin asked Sulli.
“Secretly? It’s so obvious. How can it be a secret?”
“Hmmm…. You have a point. I think they’re just stupid not to notice it themselves,”

“Maknaes! Can we walk to school with you?” Key put his arms on Taemin’s and Sulli’s shoulders while Amber walked beside Sulli.

“What were you two talking about? I had a feeling it was Key and I,” Amber and Key were both suspicious.
“It could be the two of you but… it’s a secret!” Sulli smirked and looked at Taemin.