Chapter 14

Heart Keeper

“AAAAAHHHHH!!!!”

“What was that?” the boys were surprised from the scream.

“I think that was…”

“AMBER, COME BACK HERE!!!” and they heard another shout.

The boys laughed. They knew that the girls were having a hard time because of Amber.

“You look fine, Key~” Jonghyun complimented Key while both of them looked at the mirror.
“I know, right?” 
“On second thought, forget that I said that. I look better than you anyway.”

“Stop arguing about your looks.” Minho tried to stop the two.
“I think Onew hyung looks best!” Taemin was just staring at his hyung.
“Shut up, Taem. Let’s go out and check on the girls.”

The boys went out and waited for the girls to come out.

“I think we forgot something… the point of the masquerade ball… the masks~” Minho remembered.
“I’ll go get it!” Key insisted and rushed back to their apartment.

Right after Key left, the girls finally came out. All of them were stunning. Each of them was wearing -tail dresses with different colors and details. But the only one who caught the boys’ attention was the strange girl who was holding up her mask just behind Krystal.

“Who’s that girl in a black dress? Your friend?” Jonghyun asked that made the girls chuckled for no reason.

“Amber~” Key suddenly appeared from the back. He handed the masks to Minho and went straight to Amber. She smiled and removed her mask. Key’s jaw dropped. He can’t believe what he was seeing.

“Amber—,” Key can’t say anything else but her name.
“What?” Key and Amber were having their own world again.

“You look… beautiful~” Key finally said it. It easily made Amber blush.

“Let’s go?” Key invited her out.
“Nice butterfly necktie~” Amber liked Key’s necktie. She thought it was really cute… like Key.

Key then grabbed something from his coat’s pocket.
“For you~” it was a red rose.
“Thanks,” Amber accepted it as they entered the elevator.

“Was that really Amber?” Jonghyun can’t believe it himself.
“Yeah… it’s amazing how Key recognized her.”

“Boys, grab your partners~” Onew ordered as he held Victoria’s hands.

“Oppa, do I look pretty?” Luna asked Jonghyun.
“Of course, you do.”
“Really?”
“Really, really.” Jonghyun smiled. Luna wrapped her arms around Jonghyun’s.

==

They arrived at their destination. Many students were already inside. Some were just walking in; some were just hanging out with their friends outside wearing of course, their mask. Shiny Effects entered the hall leaving only Key and Amber in the car. Amber was too afraid to show herself in front of many people and Key was struggling on getting Amber out from the car.

“Amber, I told you. No one will recognize you. The other boys hardly recognized you earlier. I’m just the smart one. Put on your mask. That at least will hide your so-called ‘identity’.”

“Okay~” Amber heaved a sigh. Key supported her as she gets off the car.

Key stared at Amber from head to toe as they walked away from the car. It seems like he can’t stop himself from staring. He can’t even remove the smile from his face.

“Oppa, why are you looking at me like that? It feels a little awkward. Don’t you dare say that I have something on my face ‘cause that won’t work anymore.” Amber chuckled. She can always tell whenever Key is staring at her.

“Sorry, I just really can’t believe what I’m seeing right now.” Key said shyly.
“Well, believe it. You’ve been looking at this Amber for almost half an hour now.”
“I think the other students envy me,” Key said with a small giggle.
“Why?”
“Because my date is hotter than theirs… that’s you Amber.” Key smirked.

The two sat next to their friends and watch the other students dancing.

“Hey, Sulli, let’s dance!” Taemin invited her cheerfully.

Key, as bubbly as he is, danced with Taemin and Sulli. The others danced, too except for Amber. She really doesn’t like dancing in front of many people wearing a cocktail dress. She already feels uncomfortable wearing that. She’ll feel more awkward dancing with her cute little dress.

Everyone was having fun and she’s the only one gloomy. As soon as Key noticed her, he approached her. He sat beside Amber for her to have a company.

“Why did you stop dancing?” Amber asked.
“Why aren’t you dancing?” Key asked back.

Finally, Taemin and Sulli got tired of dancing and sat down.

“I wanna take off these heels. It feels really weird~” Amber was shaking her feet.
“Amber Liu, don’t even think about it. You should get used to it.” Key tried to stop her.

“And Amber. Heels makes you look ier,” Jonghyun suddenly butted in.
“What did you say, oppa?” Amber laughed when she heard that.
“He’s not kidding, Amber.” Key had to agree.

“You look better in dress, too.”
“Right, right.”

The two boys didn’t stop on complimenting Amber that night while the others were enjoying their partners except for Luna whose partner is focused on Amber. She felt bad for herself. She kept asking “why on earth did I fall in love with a jerk like him?!”. But she can’t also blame Jonghyun or herself for Jonghyun isn’t hard to love.

The time passed quickly. The DJ already started playing slow songs. Minho and Krystal were at the center, like true Romeo and Juliette. Onew and Victoria were having the time of their own, too. Sulli and Taemin danced timidly with each other. They’re young; it’s supposed to be that way. Luna had to ask Jonghyun to dance and since Luna is a girl and guys should asked girls to dance, Jonghyun felt a little embarrass so he danced with her. Only left Key and Amber again. Key had no courage to ask Amber to dance with him, for he was afraid that Amber might reject him. Thirty wasted minutes passed and still, Key wasn’t making any move. Onew went to the stage and hold a microphone.

“I’ll be singing the last song for tonight. I hope you enjoyed the ball. And I hope you’ll enjoy this song—I’ll Give It All”

None of his friends know that he’ll sing for this event except for Victoria. He looked at Key and Jonghyun trying to signal that this was their last chance. Taemin was shaking Key. He was trying to push Key to Amber. Jonghyun was waiting for Key to move, but when the music started playing, Jonghyun had no choice but to go to Amber without a competition and that’s when Key had guts to make his way to Amber. Key and Jonghyun gave their hands at the same time that confused Amber. She stared at Jonghyun first and bit her lower lip. She took a deep breath before reaching out to one of them. She took off her mask and walked with the guy she chose to the center.

“I’m telling you, I’m no good dancer…. Key oppa~” she looked down with her hands together. Key took both of her hands and put them on his shoulder while he placed his hands on Amber’s waist.

“Why did you pick me, Amber?” Key whispered to her ears.
“Because… I wanted my first dance to be special.”
“Am I special… to you?” Key asked with a little hesitation.
“I… I really… I really don’t know,”

Key gulped and leaned Amber’s head on his shoulder. Key’s heart was pounding really hard and Amber can hear it. Her heart was beating like how fast Key’s heart was. They were connected. What they didn’t know was… everyone was staring at them. They’ll sure make a rumor for themselves.

“Hyung, it’s okay.” Minho patted Jonghyun’s back.
“Of course, it’s okay…. I have SunYoung… and you guys,” Jonghyun looked at everyone.
“And this doesn’t mean that they’re dating or anything. They’re just… dancing~” Jonghyun stated and smiled.

==

It’s finally time to go home. They rode the car and sat there quietly until they reached their apartment. Krystal and Luna went on and split their ways from the others. Jonghyun, Minho, Taemin and Onew were already inside their apartment. Key insisted on waiting for Amber to get inside.

“That was one of the best four minutes of my life, oppa~” Amber was about to kiss Key’s rosy cheeks when Key unexpectedly faced her and their lips touched. It took them three seconds to finally come to their senses and parted.

“I’m… I’m sorry!” they both said and dashed inside their apartment both slamming the door.

“What just happened?!” they both asked themselves.

“Yah, KeyBum, don’t break the door. You’ll pay for the damages!” Jonghyun shouted. They were all clueless what happened outside.