Chapter 17

Heart Keeper

[Amber’s POV]
“Nicole!? Nicole!” I shouted.

“Hey, Amber!” we hugged each other while Key was freezing at the side and I have no idea why.
“Hey… Key~” Nicole greeted him with a little hesitation as she let go from our hug.
“Long time no see,” Key faked a smile. I know when it’s fake or not.

“You know each other?” I asked both of them.

“As a matter of fact, we do.” Nicole answered for both of them. I don’t know what happened to Key. I don’t know why he suddenly became quiet.

“Amber, let’s go back to the apartment!” Key exclaimed and grabbed all the plastic bags.
“Can I come with you?” Nicole pleaded and so I nod.

It was an awkward silence on the way to the apartment. If they know each other, they’re supposed to chat and not be like this.

I let them sat on the couch. I went to the kitchen and organized the stuff I bought. They were still not talking.

Could it be?

I remember Sulli telling me a story. About Key and the girl he liked long time ago. Before I came here in Korea. The girl’s name was… Nicole. How can this happen? How can the Nicole he liked is the Nicole I know from the States?

Sulli said that Nicole was Key oppa’s first love. He was serious to her. He would do anything for her. Key oppa courted her for over a year. She said that Nicole has already fallen for Key oppa but they never dated. They never had a commitment. They were all disappointed with that. The worst thing was that Nicole has to leave when Key oppa knew that Nicole likes him. He was hurt when he heard that Nicole was already gone. He ignored almost all girls that like him. The two- three months school vacation they had was horrible for Key oppa. Then finally, the first day of another school year came. And that’s when I became friends with them. With him. Sulli said Key oppa was back to himself again because of me. No, she said that he was even better than before. That’s was nice to hear but now what? Nicole is back.

Nicole told me something before I left for Korea. She said Korean guys are awesome. It must have been Key.

“Baby~” Key came running in the kitchen leaving Nicole alone in the living room.
“Oppa, you should stay there. You’re a visitor, too.” No, he wasn’t.
“What? I’m no visitor. I even look like I’m the one living here and not Vic noona and JinRi.”

“Just stay there. I’m going to make something for you two.” I kept pushing him away.
“You don’t even know how to cook. I’ll make YOUR visitor dumplings. And maybe for you, too. I can use some help though,” he looked at me. I had no choice but to help.

The good thing was that Sulli was already home and she talked to Nicole and tried not to make her feel awkward.

Key and I were having the time of our lives in the kitchen. It seems like cooking would take forever for both of us. But I still can’t forget the fact that Nicole… is here. He’s first love. Now, he’s ignoring her. That’s not good. Is it because of me?

“Amber, we’re almost done. What else are you thinking?” Key must have noticed I was lost in my thoughts.
“I wonder how MY cooking will turn out.” I said jokingly.
“What did you say?”

“Okay, lunch is served!” I shouted in English. It was for Nicole and not for Sulli so…

I can’t believe we’re staying in the same room together. Sulli was acting a bit strange, too. I guessed she knew what we were all feeling right now.

We all finished eating, and now, it’s time for me to wash the dishes. Yes, it was always my duty. I wanted them to talk… about their past. If there was. But no, Key didn’t stay with her again, instead, he went to the sink and stand next to me.
[End of POV]

Key is acting cold to her. Nicole can never blame him for that. It was all her fault. But she’s glad that he had moved on. She can tell. He met Amber. She’s such a sweet heart and all boys might even fall for her.

“They look good together right unni?” Sulli came talking to Nicole again. If Amber’s a sweet heart, Sulli is a cutie.
“Yes, they do.” The two girls watched Key and Amber wash the dishes from the couch. They can see them clearly. Like Sulli said… they look good together. Splashing water, annoying each other, and just act sweet like two person dating. Nicole wasn’t jealous. She has no feelings for him anymore. Maybe, just a tiny bit but not as much as she had a year ago.

“Amber!” Key threw a cup full of water at Amber’s face.
“Aish!” Key could tell that Amber was mad so he did the same to himself.
“We should dry up?” Key asked.
“Yeah~” Amber giggled. It was a typical scene of couples for Nicole. And Sulli was just enjoying watching them like she’s watching a romantic movie or something.

“Amber, I have to go and change. Bye bye, baby!” Key rushed to the door before Amber even hit him.

“So… Amber… you and Key are dating, right?” Nicole asked very frankly. Sulli was even surprised with her question.
“No, you can ask all shiny effects about it and they’ll say ‘no’.” Amber was too sure.
“Is that so? Sulli, they’re really not dating?”
“I wish they are, but no, not YET.” Sulli smirked.

“I’m so proud of you, Amber.” Nicole patted her head.
“Eh, stop fooling around Nicole. It’s not funny,”

“Well, I better go. I’ll be back tomorrow, okay!” Nicole has to go since she wants to spend the rest of the day touring herself again in the place she was a year ago.

==

Next day…

“Amber, baby, I mi—where’s my ba—I mean Amber?” Key came in running but he only found Nicole there.
“She left with Sulli. Something about the laundry.”
“Oh, I’ll just come back later,”
“No, come here. Let’s talk.” Nicole invited him.

“Okay, what’s up?” it was this cold attitude again.

“Hmm… I can tell that you like her,” Nicole started.
“I like who?”
“Amber, you like her. Why won’t you tell her how you feel? You’re very frank. I’m sure you could’ve told her how you feel ages ago but why won’t you?” Nicole kept asking questions. Amber’s her friend. And Key, he was also a friend to Nicole.

“I’m just… not ready yet. I’m waiting for the right moment,” Key said with his voice shaking.
“What if she leaves? What if you’re not able to tell her how you truly feel?”
“NO! Amber would never leave just like how you did!” He shouted. Nicole knew right that moment that Key has fallen deep to Amber. Key doesn’t want to let go of Amber, not now, not forever.

“I’m sorry… about leaving without telling you. Now I’m back. But not for you. But for myself.”
“That’s good.” Key said with his diva attitude now. It wasn’t as cold as before.
“Stop being a diva and act like a man!” Nicole started scolding him.
“I am a man. I’m the prettiest man in the planet.” Nicole laughed. It made sense.

“We’re back!” Sulli came in skipping while Amber was carrying the clothes.
“Oh no, baby. What have JinRi done to you?” Key started helping Amber.

“What were you talking about?” Amber whispered to Key.
“Huh? Oh, she kept asking me how much I love you and I kept answering her… ‘THIS MUCH!’” Key said with hand gestures. (Like how YooGeun would do ”Ee ManKeum!”. I miss YooGeun)

“Right, Nicole?”
“Whatever!”

Amber was relieved that Nicole and Key were playing a long with each other. Key was back to normal again. No, not just normal, but better than before. Because Key didn’t want Amber to worry.

==

“Amber, if ever Key asks you out, Say yes in an instant. I can sense chemistry in both of you.” Nicole wanted KeyBer couple since the day she saw them on the street. She can tell that they were connected by heart.

“I wish he would ask me out,” Amber sighed.
“Want me to push him on asking you out? I can do it right now!” Nicole . She missed this. She missed Amber… She missed Key… She loves Amber… she LOVED Key.

“Wait, are you leaving again, Nicole?” Amber knew that something was up.
“Yup, I was only here for vacation. I’m leaving tomorrow. Tell Key that I’ll be back here if ever he hurts you, okay?” she was Amber’s on the spot sister. She wants to take care of her more but she knows that Key would do that. If Key loves Amber, he wouldn’t do anything to harm her.

==

“Oppa, do you still love her?” Amber asked as she lied down on Key’s bed.
“Who are you talking about exactly?” Key was arranging his things.
“Nicole~”
“You want to know the truth?” Key stopped from what he was doing and went closer to Amber.
“I… I… I…”
“You what?”
“I don’t feel anything for her anymore. Not even a tiny bit. Coz I already have you!” Key jumped to his bed and hugged Amber.

“Ah! Help me! I can’t breathe!”