Keepsake

Hey! Anonymous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Dull-early mornings are the worst and Jessica knows it. Waking up dead early in the morning was never her thing and working as a librarian at the community library down the block made it worse. And it's not because she's a librarian - it's the early morning fatigue that she loathes the most. Well, aside from the unpleasant small talks with random strangers and having to tell off loud passive-aggressive students (most of the time hormonal) to keep their voices down she doesn't mind working there at all. But then again, the comfort of her bed still sounded better above every thing else.

 

 

Barely depending on her parents or any one else Jessica grew up with having to cope with life by herself. Independently and single-handedly Jessica graduated from college, found a pretty rewarding job and and rented her own place. It wasn't an easy feat, living half of her on the run from loan gangsters that chased around her family  and then having to move out by herself after her parents divorced and remarried. Jessica felt unwanted thinking that maybe she was the reason why her parents divorced, that maybe she was just mistake and that it was way too late when her parents found out and having no choice but to let her live. Jessica grew up quite well considering she had already went through so much. 

 

 

With a swing of her right hand she slammed the snooze button on her alarm clock, retracted her hand to tuck it back under her pillow and immediately went back to her slumber. Just a few minutes later the alarm went off again telling her it's her last draw before running late for work. Giving in, she groggily retired from her precious craddle, dragging her body off of her cozy bed. 

 

"Good morning Flash!" she greeted, gently tapping her pink guppy's fish bowl. Her face glued 2 inches directly to the bowl, intently watching her pet guppy swim. Flash adorably wiggled its orangey-pink tail. 

 

To kill time she lounged around in her pajamas until a realisation smacks her in the face. Her eyes grew in size and an extreme panick attack struck her down - she's running late again and if she continues to procrastinate and not move her she will definitely miss her bus. 

 

Running are for losers Jessica, keep your poise, Jessica tells herself as she walked her way to the bus stop. A few more steps away from the stop and the bus passes her like a wind and all she could do was sigh. She turned the other direction and decided to grab breakfast before heading to work, she's late anyway so what's the point of rushing. 

 

 

Jessica crouched down as she organized the books on the bottom section shelf, book dusts flying everywhere.  For the 3 years she had spent working in this library, there was no doubt that she can effortlessly arrange the books in an orderly fashion. If was dared to, she could probably even do it blindfolded.

 

Back at the front desk, Jessica made a record of books that were overdue signing and dating every column; about to get up from her seat to photocopy the long list, a man suddenly approached the counter to sign out a pile of books - great, she thought.

 

"Your library card please?" Jessica mumbled to the man in front of her, almost sounding like a soft whisper.

 

"Pardon?" the man asked a little annoyed.

 

Without saying another word, Jessica waved a blue library card, the man sighed in response as he hesitantly took out his card. Tch, talk about professionalism, he thought.

 

Jessica detested repeating herself, hates speaking up and taking part in small talks. And that's why working as a librarian suited her. Yes, there are tons of people who she needed to interact with but her job didnt really require her to socialise with them unless it was absolutely necessary - talk about the most socially awkward person in the planet.

 

 

With her head hanging low, doing her best to shun eye contact with strangers, Jessica walked to the nearest park where she often spent her breaks. She spotted an isolated bench located by the pond, far away from the crowd and decided to occupy the seat. She took out her packed lunch and her most current novel and began to eat and read in undisturbed silence.

 

 

Frankly, if the girl was to be compared to an animal, it would be to a snail. She's slow and she tends to hide inside her "shell" when intimidated. Or maybe a cat, because she's smart, intelligent and is a sleepy head. But with all of that being said and done, Jessica is actually drop-dead gorgeous, petite but definitely attractive so there really is no reason for her to be insecure and yet here she is metaphorically playing dodge ball with everyone else around her.

 

 

//

 

 

 

It was fall, the air was frigid, leaves were starting to fall on the ground. A chic or rather cheeky looking brunette in her early 20's made her way through the central park; watchful of her surroundings. She sauntered along the paved road, with a DSLR bag strapped on her shoulder; while clutching an expensive camera on her hand. The park was quite calm and peaceful there weren't ton of people at that specific time of day. It was the perfect time to shoot photos without people photo bombing her shots. 

 

The girl zoomed in and out, adjusting the shutter of her camera figuring out the best exposure for the day. She kneeled on the grass to find a good angle; thinking it'd be cool to take a picture of the pond before it completely freezes 

 

She continued to tweak the settings of her camera and focusing and re-focusing the lens towards the pond when she accidentally caught a scene; where a blonde haired girl hungrily stuffed with a roll of kimbap while reading a book in hand.

 

Adorable, she thought, giggling almost inaudibly and snapped a picture on a whim.

 

"Perfect, now that's better than a portrait," she boasted, a foolish grin was stamped on her face while she examined the pholograph.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter