Exchanging Vows

The World Where You Exist

A/N: I really missed writing, to be very honest ~ /sigh.


The gentle sensation of a touch outlining his eyebrows woke Onew up that morning. He smiled automatically but didn’t open his eyes yet. He was rather enjoying his girlfriend’s sweet gesture toward him.

“Hey, you are enjoying this so much…” Jooyoung sounded like she was complaining but she liked it, too. Onew’s smile had always been one of the best things she always wanted to see every day, and starting her day with his smile… she felt like her day had been completed as early as that moment.

“What do you think about marrying me?” Onew opened his eyes and directly met her gaze. His smile was gone and his face turned serious. Jooyoung, who was leaning sideways looking down at him, froze but tried to laugh it off as if it was just a joke. “Don’t laugh. I’m serious.”

“But…” She was about to reject him right away, but she was hesitant to do it. Gosh. I want to say yes!

“But what?” Onew frowned. “Don’t you want to marry me?” Suddenly, he pouted, like a kid who seemed disappointed about his mom not allowing him to go out with his friend on an afternoon play. He sat up straight, faced Jooyoung and held her hands tightly. “Am I not qualified to be a husband? Don’t you think I can take care of you? Am I not mature enough? Tell me.”

With that kind of Onew, Jooyoung chuckled. She couldn’t resist this side of Onew. When she first met him before, she thought Onew was the type to be so confident about himself, someone who would never doubt his abilities. But as time passed by, she learned his weakness, and surely, his weaknesses made him look even more charming in her eyes.

“Why are you laughing? Aren’t you taking me seriously?”

“Hey, hey, hey…” Jooyoung calmed him down as if she was talking to a child. “You don’t know how much I want to marry you, but I’m just worrying about your career.”

Onew let out a loud sigh and looked away, pouting. “I can’t even do something that would really make me happy. I just want to wake up next to you every morning, kiss you whenever I want, and give myself to you. That’s all. I just want you to be legally mine. I just want to be selfish just this once and make sure no one else will have you but me.” He was talking to himself, but it was loud enough and they were close enough for her to hear everything.

“How about getting engaged, then?”

Onew looked at her and they were silent for some seconds, then later on, he let out a sigh, “Actually….”

“Actually?”

“I want to sleep with you.”

“HUH?! What?! Are you thinking about weird thoughts right now, Lee Jinki?!”

“Hey, no, no, no, I only meant…” He sighed again and bit his lower lip in embarrassment. “This. Sleeping next to you, waking up next to you, waking up in the middle of the night and seeing you sleeping soundly next to me, having this private moment with you, but if I insist of doing this without marrying you, then… won’t it be illegal?”

“So you want to marry me because you want us to sleep like this every night?! That is so childish of you, Lee Jinki!?”

“Of course, it’s more than that! Do you really want me to list out all the reasons why I want to marry you, then you need to listen to me the whole day! Aish!” Onew jumped out of his bed, went to his drawer to get something.

“What are you doing?” Jooyoung asked, still confused while watching Onew go around the room and searching for something.

“Found it.” He smiled to himself and went back on the bed. He opened a small box and Jooyoung was surprised to see a couple of rings inside. “These are my parents’ wedding rings for 25 years. They bought new ones for themselves after their silver anniversary so they gave me these, asking me to use this once I get married.”

Jooyoung was kind of reading what’s going into his mind. Sometimes, she just couldn’t get how childish her boyfriend could be, but he’s cute that way, and she felt really loved by him when she sees him acting like this.

Onew got a necklace and hooked one of the rings inside. He pulled her closer and fastened the necklace around her neck. “Netizens eyes are very observant. If they become suspicious of me then they’ll find the girl who wears exactly the same ring as I, and I don’t want to give you a hard time clearing up the issue, so for now, while you insist on keeping this relationship a secret, then you should wear your ring as a necklace for now.” He looked at her after putting that necklace and then he smiled – satisfied. Taking the other ring, he placed it on her hand.

“What am I gonna do with this?” She was confused.

“Put it around my finger. Here.” He said and stretched his hands towards her waiting for her to do as he said. She was still confused, but did it anyway. Onew smiled afterwards.

“You may now kiss your bride.” Onew uttered and without any warning, places a soft kiss on her lips and smiled again. “You’re mine.”

“Yah…” She was confused, blanked, surprised and unable to react. She didn’t know what to say, what to do, or how to show any reaction.

“You are my wife now.” There was a winning smile on his face as he said those things, satisfied upon seeing that ring hanging on her neck.

“This is illegal. No one’s here to witness this marriage.” She said softly to which Onew only shook his head.

“Appa.” He uttered softly. “Your father and our Creator. They witnessed everything.”

She couldn’t help but smile after hearing that from him. Yes, her father. Her father who always looked after her, he probably saw it. He probably witnessed that marriage.

“There were no wedding vows.” She questioned again.

“Wedding vows?” Onew asked.

Softly, Jooyoung reached for his face and cupped it with her hands. “I promise to love you forever, be the best wife that I can be, protect you as long as I can, and make you the happiest husband every day of your life.” She laughed. It was time to loosen up. For now, she would forget about her job of protecting SHINee’s image. Just this once, she really wanted to be his girlfriend… oh no, his wife.

“Hmm… I promise to be the most handsome husband ever.” He laughed. “I love you, and every day I will try to show and prove you how much I do. You are the type to always want to take care of everybody, so fine, I will allow you to take care of me, but I’ll take care of you as well for sure. I will let you lead our future family. You are going to be the boss of everything.”

“Boss?? Really?!” Her eyes lighted as she heard those words. “Are you sure?”

“I knew you would like that, but yes… still, you have your limitations, okay?” He assured and she nodded delightedly. Onew stretched his arms wide and grinned. “From today onwards, you can have this man all you want!”

She was too happy, enough to jump on him and both of them stumble back lying on the bed. They were chuckling, laughing and grinning towards each other. They were just too happy about their so called marriage.

“I am now giving you the right to sleep in my unit every time you want.” She announced, to which Onew’s eyes widened in excitement.

“Is that true? You’re sure?”

“I am. Are you happy?”

“Oh, yes, I am!!”  Onew said excitedly.