"What ifs"

The World Where You Exist

A/N: OH MY GOSH, FINALLY, ALMOST LITERALLY, THIS SEMESTER IS OVER FOR ME! SO HERE'S A SMALL GIFT TO CELEBRATE MY VACATION/NOT REALLY A VACATION THO. 

Onew was liking the fact that his girlfriend got so shy after the incident just a while ago. No one would have thought that years before, this shy girl in front of him once almost volunteered to sell herself just to get money for her father’s operation. This shy girl over here used to risk herself for a chance to extend her father’s life.

“Stop looking.” Jooyoung said but it came out as an almost whisper. They were eating opposite each other at the table. Secretly, she was blaming herself. If she didn’t come out wearing just that, then things won’t be as awkward as this between the two of them. She knew Onew tried opening up several topics, but because she got herself so embarrassed, she ended up having very few comments and opinions.

“It was good that it was me.” Onew said out of nowhere, making her confused.

“What’s good?” She asked to which Onew only shook his head and continued eating. He smiled at her and said not to mind what he said. She nodded, though she knew that suddenly, Onew fell into a deep thought, too.

They finished the dinner quietly. She stood up, gathered the plates and the utensils to clean up, while Onew proceeded to the living area to open the television when she said she would just wash the dishes first.

After remembering what happened in the past, Onew became silent. He thought about a lot of what ifs. What if it was not him at that night? What if that woman who he had a deal with gave him a different girl? What if that same woman gave Jooyoung to someone else? What if Jooyoung happened to end up with a man who would never let her go? What if she tried stealing the money the same way she did to him to that man but she ended up being held captive and hurt because she tried to run away?

Minutes after he sat down in front of the television, he just had to stand up again and go to the kitchen to see her.

Jooyoung felt Onew’s presence at the entrance of the kitchen. She looked back at him for a bit and returned her attention to the dishes quickly. “You said you’re gonna watch some shows?” She asked with back facing her boyfriend.

“There was nothing interesting.” He simply answered though his mind was still wandering somewhere.

“So are we just gonna watch a movie after this?” She randomly asked.

“Once, I actually felt thankful of the fact that you tried to sacrifice yourself.” Onew said in a serious tone, making Jooyoung paused for a bit.

“What do you mean?”

“If it wasn’t because of your desperate need of the hospital fund, then you won’t be able to be there. We won’t be able to meet.”

Jooyoung finally stopped washing the dishes to face him for a while, thinking that Onew was trying to open up something again. “You were thankful I was in need?”

Onew nodded innocently. “I was, and I’m sorry. I know I shouldn’t.” He sighed and shook his head. “But that’s not my point here… the point is, just now, I became more worried than thankful.” Jooyoung frowned, still trying hard to get to his point. “I mean, thank heavens it was me, but what if it was someone else?” As soon as he spoke, Onew started relaying all his worries to her, making Jooyoung unconsciously smile as she heard those adorable concerns from her boyfriend.

“And seriously?” Onew stopped talking when he noticed that wide smile on her face. “You’re smiling after hearing that I became worried thinking you might have ended up being beaten up by some other guy because you tried running away with his money? And who knows, he might have… have… have done something to you, too!?” He probably didn’t realize it, but Onew started talking and arguing like a child who was afraid to have his mother leave him.

Jooyoung couldn’t help but go to him as she wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. She giggled. “But I’m here… with you. Nothing happened to me.” She said trying to ease his worries.

“But what if it was not me?” Onew said pulling away from her for a while to stare at her closely. He wrapped his arms around her waist to steady her. “What if it was someone else? What if you’re not here with me right now?” She was speechless when she saw that sincerity as his eyes sparkled with the hint of tears. “After seeing you with that clothes a while ago, I realize how any man would want to have you… I mean, literally. If you show up in a room with a man dressed up like that, and that man follow’s his physical instinct, then I’m sure he won’t let go of you, more so if you tried stealing his money.” Jooyoung pouted. “And with those lips, too.” He added.

“Yah~”

“And with that voice, too.”

“Yah, Lee Jinki~” Jooyoung frowned. “It was meant to happen, and I believe that those ‘what ifs’ you had in your mind would never happen, really, even you think they could. I came because I had to see you. You were there because you had to see me. If it wasn’t for that reason then neither of us will be there. If it wasn’t about meeting you then perhaps, my fate could have brought me somewhere else, maybe some place where I could meet you still.”

“I didn’t know you were such a positive girl.”

“You thought me about that, hey.” She said with a slight pinch on Onew’s nose. They both giggled together. “Are we okay now? Is everything settled already?”

“I don’t think so.” Onew pouted. “I still need you.”

“I can’t until you let me finish the dishes.” She smiled at her loving boyfriend to which he nodded and agreed.

“Maybe I could help you!” Onew suggested and he really did. Both of them went back to the sink and finish the dishes.

Then as soon as they were done, he surprised her by suddenly lifting her up bridal style and walking outside the kitchen to the living area. “Finally!” He said cheerfully and she laughed upon hearing that.

They stumbled on the sofa together and both laughed because Onew was still the clumsy leader he used to portray on television. Jooyoung took the remote control and scanned through the the channels. “There should be at least one show here that is interesting to watch.” She said with focus. 

Meanwhile, Onew sneaked himself on the sofa and lied down using her lap as his pillow. Naturally, Jooyoung placed her hand on his chin and caressed his cheek playfully as she was still browsing for a show. She stopped when she saw a program featuring several gagmen.

They would probably spend the rest of the night like this, laughing together and chatting randomly while watching television. Actually, it was really good that both of them easily get satisfied with just staying at home like that.

In the middle of the show, one gagman cracked, “Yah! Yah! You look like SHINee Onew!” Both of them looked at the screen, and were about to laugh until the other gagman replied:

“But I am more natural! No plastic surgery!”

“WHAT?!” Jooyoung shouted in annoyance and stood up aggressively, leaving Onew both surprised and nervous as he almost fell from the sofa because of her sudden movement. “Who is that gagman?! What show is that?! What channel is that?! I need to make a call!!” She shouted like talking to herself.

“Babe, calm down. It was probably a joke.” He said coolly, but Jooyoung wasn’t really cool about what she heard.

“A joke?! Don’t you know jokes are often half meant?! And how dare he joke around about plastic surgery when we all know it’s a big issue in this industry?! Gosh! He should choose who to mess up with! I am definitely not gonna let this pass!” She said as she started dialling numbers of people. He was about to stop her again, tell her to chill down, until he heard her talking to someone:

“Yes, please, I would like it very much if I could talk with your PD tomorrow morning. Thank you.” And Onew was speechless. No one messes up with Son Jooyoung, and he almost forget she was now their PR Head Manager.