The Unwelcomed Visitor

The World Where You Exist

Jooyoung was so not used to the spotlight and all the attention, so Onew had to hold her all the time to make sure she would feel less nervous and a bit more comfortable. They smiled literally at everyone who came in the reception. There were flashes of cameras which sometimes made Jooyoung restless.  

“Are you okay?” Onew asked while they were sitting at their table. It was during the preparation for the part where special friends would give their message and propose a cheers to the newlyweds.

“I am. I just… I knew a lot were invited but I was still surprised so many people came.” She admitted and smiled awkwardly. Onew held her hand tightly. He had to assure her he’ll be on her side all the time.

“It will be over in an hour. I promise you’ll get a good rest then.”

“No, I’m okay. Don’t worry too much about me.” Again, she tried to smile, but the stress on her face could already be seen. However, as Onew looked at her face again, he couldn’t help but just admire her beauty. “Why?” She asked when she noticed his weird cute smile.

“You’re so beautiful.” He said accompanied by a smile. It only made Jooyoung blushed as she started looking down at her feet again. “Come on, sweetie. I’m not the only one who would tell you that you’re beautiful. You really are, especially tonight.”

“Stop it…” She said almost whispering, but her smile couldn’t hide how happy she was just by hearing these words from him.

“This would never be the wedding that we both want to have, but still, it’s you and I. I’m just happy and relieved at that thought of that. I’m happy that the punishment actually turned out to be a blessing.” He turned so sweet suddenly – probably the effect of realizing that he was finally married to the woman he loved so much.

“I’m sorry for making you feel that I don’t want to marry you at first. I just…”

“Sshh… We already ended that part. It would be hard to fully enjoy this celebration because you’re not used to the crowd, but just loosen up, okay?”

“Okay.” She smiled at him and for the nth time today, it felt like the only people in the world are the two of them – and nobody else was around.

“Eherm. Excuse me.” The moment was ruined when Jonghyun spoke at the microphone. “You have all the night with you so please allow us to celebrate with you for a while.” His naughty implications made the people at the hall laugh.

Jooyoung and Jinki had to divert their attention back to the stage then, and listen to the messages coming from their close friends.

“Okay, but seriously, hyung, Jooyoungie, congrats. I’m so happy for the both of you.” He started.

“I can feel that he’s going to tell something that will really make you look so stupid.” Jooyoung whispered in which Jinki eventually agreed.

“You know, this guy over there took really a long time before he got her to be his girl.” Jinki started shaking his head while Jooyoung eventually started to loosen up and have fun listening to Jonghyun. “Do you want to know something? We had to push Jooyoung to take the initiative because Jinki hyung won’t do it however we tried.”

“Yah!” Onew shouted but people just laughed.

“Although, I really knew from the start that Jinki hyung would fall in love deeply with her. It was obvious. He was never the type to go all serious when it comes to girls. But with Jooyoung, when she came, everything in him changed. Other people won’t notice it, of course, hyung can easily deceive people, but we, s, all witnessed the good changes he went through after meeting her.”

“I hope your mouth would reach its limit.” Jinki whispered to himself though Jooyoung heard it and she chuckled a bit. “Should you propose a happy marriage and a cheers now?” Just to stop Jonghyun, Jinki had to lift his own glass of wine and propose a drink himself instead. The guests laughed again and Jonghyun chuckled and looked at him teasingly.

Other friends spoke to greet the couple as well, but the most special speech came from Jinki’s mother.

She stood at the stage with tears on her eyes already. She was too overwhelmed but was still able to speak gracefully.

“First of all, I want to tell the both of you I’m so happy you made it here.” She said and paused for a while because her tears were gonna come out again. “I remember when Jooyoung first came to our home as SHInee’s manager. She was so caring and I saw myself how she took care of my son. That’s when they were just still in the manager-idol relationship, so right now, I can only imagine how much more she could take care of him. I’m not worried at all. I’m so sure my son is in good hands.” She smiled both at Jooyoung and Jinki. The couple nodded and smiled back. Both of them becoming emotional as well.

“To my son, please be more matured enough to lead your family. You are not going to just take care of yourself now. You have Jooyoung, and you need to protect and love her all the time. Soon, you’ll have your kids, too. Ah... I can’t wait to see them. They will be very pretty…”

“.. now, to my lovely daughter-in-law. I’m so happy to have you now as a part of a family. You don’t just have Jinki with you now. You have me, and you have his appa as your new parents. You can come to me anytime, especially when this playful boy does something bad to you. But seriously, I’ll be the mother you have always longed to have. I promise to love you the same way I love my son. Welcome to the family, Jooyoungie, for that, I propose a drink!”

The celebration was fine and smooth-going, until the newest CEO, Kim Young Min, stepped onto the stage to show the company’s second surprise.

“I can’t wait to show our surprise to our lovely bride here tonight.” He happily said. “I personally asked to find her since I know you haven’t seen this person since you’re 11. Please welcome, I would like to introduce to you, Ms. Son’s mother, Mrs. Kang Ye Eul!” He pointed at the entrance door and it opened only to give way to the sight of the woman she just called.

Suddenly, Jooyoung froze. She couldn’t believe that the woman, now walking towards her, was her mother.

No, actually. She was never a mother to her.

She never experienced how to be loved by her, although they did spent 11 years together.

The only family she knew was her father, and not this woman.

But she gracefully walked across all the guests, her eyes sparkling with tears that were about to fall on her face. Tears, that Jooyoung would doubt to be true or genuine.

And the show began.

“Aigoo~ My beautiful daughter!” She cried loudly and rushed to hug her tightly.

Jooyoung was about to push her off, but she felt Onew’s hold tightened. She took a glance on him and he only responded with a slight nod. That’s how she resisted it – by thinking that Onew wouldn’t want her to make a scene and appear to be the bad girl.

“Y-you came.” She said coldly. Surprisingly, she felt no tears escaping her. Her stoned heart was suddenly coming back to life.

“Of course, I couldn’t miss my daughter’s wedding! Oh my God, you grew up so well, my dear! You are so beautiful!”

“Omoni, it’s nice meeting you.” Onew stole her attention so Jooyoung could breathe a bit more at ease that she didn’t have to pretend it was really fine to be hugged by her. “I am Lee Jinki. I really have to apologize for not seeking your approval first before marrying your daughter.”

“Oh, no, no, no, my dear, I am so happy she got you!” The mother’s attention was ultimately drawn to him now. She was smiling from ear to ear looking at him. “You are so handsome!”

“Please excuse me.” Jooyoung couldn’t control herself so she just walked away. The walk out suddenly stirred some noises from the people, asking why she suddenly left. Onew saved her by saying she was just too overwhelmed by what welcomed her tonight.

“I’m sorry, omoni.” Onew told the mother, “But Jooyoung haven’t seen you for so many years. She grew up alone all these time, so it must have really surprised her to see you suddenly appearing here today.”

The mother frowned a bit with what he said, but Onew suddenly broke out into his trademark smile, as if what he said wasn’t really a slap to the mom’s face. He looked still so genuine and soft that the mother couldn’t answer back anymore and just had to nod and smile in front of everyone.