Cakes and Ghosts

Only

Flashback (in the Cafe)

Key hears the chimes ring as he entered the small cafe. The scent of cocoa and vanilla welcomed him and he hums with content. He walks to the counter and politely greets the workers, who were mostly girls. They replied with squeals and giggles as their eyes stalked the flower-boy. Key stares at the pastries with a longing smile pasted across his face. He mouth hung open, as he examines the choices. Finally, he asks for suggestions and daily specials. With their help, Key finally ordered a donut cake and a cup of cappuccino. 

Once Key purchased the cake and coffee, the girl who served him, offered him an extra cupcake. Key appreciatively accepts. This reminds him that he might as well buy some cake for the other SHINee members and without thinking he asks for four more slices. After his last purchases he bids farewell to the girls, who looked as if they would faint if Key stayed any longer, and exits the cafe. He sits outside of the cafe under the umbrella seats and eats his extra cake. The girls inside squealed and watched Key eat from afar.

On Key's way to the dorm, he drinks half of his cappuccino and lightly skips with joy, yet making sure that the cakes don't get smashed.

"Taeminnie baby will be so happy," Key chuckles to himself as he imagines the little one's reaction to the surprise.

End of flashback (back at the dorm)

Key's POV

I remembered... I bought 5 cakes. One for each member, including Jonghyun. I felt a pang of sadness hit my chest at the thought. But remembering that I would try to return things to the way before, I pushed my sadness away.

I returned to the living room and urged a small smile, I'll just let him have, to comfort him, since I physically can't. I sat down into the sofa and suddenly, I heard a voice through the wall. At first I froze thinking that I was hallucinating but when I heard it again I panicked.

There's a ghost in our dorm! I snatched my cell out and started to dial the manager. No! That's impossible, Key. You can't call the manager; he'll think you finally went crazy. Get your head straight; there's no such thing as ghosts. You're watching too many movies!

I scowled at myself again and nearly screamed when I hear it growing louder. It's coming for me!

I feel tears starting to form in my eyes. I was shivering and scared, but I was also curious. What is wrong with me? I mentally yelled at myself to get out of the dorm and save myself, but my body didn't listen. It did almost the complete opposite. I stood up and leaned my ear against the wall with my legs wobbling under me.

The voice didn't stop and I thought I would finally lose my mind. Faint perhaps and then the ghost will just kill me.

Onew~ Jonghyun- no, no not Jonghyun!- Taemin... Minho! I'm going to die~! I thought and my body, stupidly, pressed my ear onto the cold surface of the dorm wall. When you see my corpse, please know that I love all of you. And don't touch any of my stuff. And make sure to send my clothes to heaven for me. I need to be as fab as I am now. Don't forget my rings and sunglasses and BB cream and...

As I listened in silence (and in fear as my thoughts jumbled together), I realized that the voice slightly crescendoed and had a rhythmic structure that made it sound... musical?

Almost immediately I realized what I was hearing and my fear grew. I felt numb in my legs and tensed in my chest.

Jonghyun was in his room. Composing a new song. And right away I realized: He has insomnia again. A song for her, eh?

Almost as if I was paralyzed, I stayed there and listened to him singing, but the wall muffled his voice into unclear mumbles and complete silence when the notes where low. They were almost barely a whisper.

It had been a long time since I had heard Jonghyun's raw songs. And now hearing him made me long more for his voice. I wanted to be the first to hear his lyrics. The first, when he would let his secrets pour into the song; before he revised it into riddles The first, so it seemed more like it was dedicated to me even when I knew it wasn't. The first, because he knew and allowed me learn his deepest thoughts.. before.

I found myself slowly, and awkwardly creeping along the walls, not wanting to miss any note, towards his room.

I was soon standing at his door eavesdropping.

Every day changes so quickly and you are warmly and brightly shining
I’ve never seen that turned back (your back) – is curiosity also part of my greed?

Since when did I start being with you? From the moment I opened my eyes and started to breathe
I was with you every night (we were together) but I can’t approach you

Though I extend my hand (hold my hand), though I extend it with all my strength, I can’t reach you
It seemed like I got closer so I called you with a fluttering heart
But there’s no answer (missing you), I guess I can never reach you

Even if you tease me by saying this is foolish, I can’t turn this heart around

So beautiful, I thought, just wishing that I could forever listen to him sing. Hoping that there was a small chance, even if it was only a very small chance, that the song was for me.


I stood at his door for a long time; but while I listened, I couldn't really tell time. I was almost like everything froze. I only knew I was there for a long time because my legs grew stiff and cramped. I listened to him sing, compose, correcting and writing, and playing through. I was hypnotized.


"What are you doing..?" I heard the door say.. I gasped and stumbled back.

"Ghost!! Get away from me~!" 

 

 

 

 

 


Hello~ Hello~

I hope you enjoy this Chapter. I tried to put some humor into this, obviously really lame ones (I'm sorry I can't be funny even if my life depended on it). Sorry if there's any grammatic errors.

BTW, the song that Jonghyun sang is Selene 6.23.

I really liked the song and thought maybe I should use it. :3

Please comment~~