Chapter Eighteen

If You Only Knew
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Here you go.”

 

Amid the loud sounds of chiming and bells, the arcade is filled with people of all ages. The room is a tad bit dim, but the game machines’ lights certainly brighten up the place. It is indeed a great place for a hangout with friends, but it also holds a place for some quality times with family. While observing, my attention was on a three-generation family playing air hockey. It is a pleasing sight to see. My heart quench as I watch families spending quality times with one another. I am reminded of my own family and how much I truly miss them. Although I am getting used to my life here in Korea, I still miss home.

Just as I’m about done with observing the area, a light-brown, fluffy hamster appears right in front of me. The hamster is about the size of a backpack. It is perhaps the cutest thing that I have ever seen. Leaning back to get a better look at who’s holding the hamster, a quiet chuckle escapes my lips. I look up to see Byun Baekhyun concealing beneath his grey sweater. The grey sweater is a bit big on him, but it doesn’t look out of place. He has the hood over his head, tighten with the strings at his chin. In addition to this cute look of his, he wears a round-frame glasses.

 

“This is for you.” He mutters, wiggling the hamster in the air.

 

Gently, he takes a hold of my hand and places the hamster in my arm. He adjusts the hamster, making sure that I have a good grasp of it before taking a step back to distance himself from me. He then stares at me, up and down, before nodding his head as if he approves of something. With the hamster in my arm, I am taken back by how immensely soft and cozy it is. The texture of this stuffed animal truly blows my mind. I don’t think I have ever touched a stuffed animal as soft as this before.

 

“It’s so adorable.” I murmur as I the hamster’s head. Its smoothness is surreal.

 

Baekhyun’s voice then captures my attention. He’s beaming from ear-to-ear with arms crossed over his chest. “Do you like it, Johae? I think I made the right choice by giving it to you. A perfect fit, I must say.”

“Yes, I do like it.” I look at him, confuse. “Why are you giving it to me?”

He shrugs. “I won it on my first try.” He swift the few strands of his hair falling over his eyes. “I don’t know what to do with it, to be honest. And since I don’t know what to do with it, I figured you might like it.” He clears his throat before bending towards me, so our eyes could completely meet. He grins, “You do like it right? If not, I won’t pressure you into keeping it. I can give it to a stranger.”

I nod with a shy smile. “Yes, I like it. It’s very nice of you. I will take good care of it. Thank you.”

As much as I would like to decline this generous gift, I decided to accept it. With only a few months left before I return to America, this hamster will be the bridge of our friendship. I don’t have any physical item that will remind me of him, other than the memories that we created. Aside from the guys, Baekhyun has been sweet and caring towards me. He’s very attentive, always able to read my emotions. I’m so thankful for everything that he has done for me. He is a friend that’s hard to find.

Baekhyun tosses an arm around me, knocking me out of my train of thoughts. His grin still visibly appearing on that puppy-like face of his. He pulls me close by the shoulder. With his body press against mine, I can feel his body heat radiating against my own. It feels strange, to be honest. My stomach feels like a mess, turning and flipping for no reason. I don’t know why but it’s probably because we have not been this close before.

My face is burning. Wait—am I blushing?

“They’re finally away from that machine.” Baekhyun’s hand taps my shoulder before he walks forwards, pulling me with him at every step. “They have been at it since we arrived.”

Letting him guide us to the others, who are currently purchasing more tokens. We arrived at the arcade about thirty minutes ago and, from the looks of it, they have used up all their tokens. I already knew beforehand that they are competitive but, tonight, I learn something new. Kyungsoo mentio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter