Chapter One

If You Only Knew
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Walking aimlessly down the airport, I was pretty much amazed by everything around me. Most of the things that I came across were completely different and foreign to me. The people and their fashion sense were the number one thing that was foreign to me. The signs and instructions that were plastered everywhere weren't much of a difference to what I would see in America but it was still a little awkward having to see Korean writings everywhere that I go as I wasn't used to not seeing that many English words written here and there.

I am a Korean American, a girl who grew up in the States since the day that I was brought into this world. I've been exposed to the Korean culture and language before but it was never to the extent that I would have to see or use it in my everyday life. My parents are extremely perfect English speakers and have already adapted their lives into the American lifestyles. They raised me to always remember that I am a Korean, even though I barely spoke, hear, or even read Korean. I've never visited Korea before so I was very fascinated by my surrounding, even if I was just standing in the airport.

Right behind me, I was dragging the shiny, purple luggage that contained the many necessities that I needed for the first few weeks. I held it tightly with my left hand while holding onto my passport with my other hand. I was roaming around, searching for my gate number, where I was told to wait at once I arrive. My mother, who had flaked out on flying to Seoul with me, specifically instructed that I needed to be there in order to be picked up by a friend of hers, her best friend, to be exactly.

“Where in the world is it?” I asked myself without a care if anyone would have heard me talking to myself. I wasn't really bothered at the fact that people might have thought I was some freak that had just invaded their country. I came to a halt and settled my luggage beside me. I turned to my right and began looking around. There were so many gates all around yet none of those were the one I was looking for.

Crouching down beside my luggage, I spun it around so I could face the front pouches. I ped the biggest pouch and stuffed my passport inside. I was already in Seoul and passed all the terminal gates so there was no need in having to hold it anymore. I zipped the pouch up and pulled my phone out from my pocket. I propped my elbows above my knees as I was still crouching. I unlocked my phone and quickly skimmed through my contact list.

“Auntie Kim...” I mumbled as I scrolled through the list, looking for Auntie Kim's real name. Strangely, I couldn't find it. I was so sure that my mother had added Auntie Kim's number into my contact list. I let out a sigh and passed the letter 'A.' “Mom... how on earth am I supposed to call Aunt-- Sung Ah?”

Apparently, my mother had saved the number down as Sung Ah, Auntie Kim's real name. I shook my head as I couldn't believe my mother forgot to tell me that. I felt like an idiot for almost panicking because I couldn't find her number. My mother just had to make everything seem so... difficult. I cleared my throat while swiping my thumb across the name. The screen faded into the calling screen. Smiling and feeling contented that I wasn't going to be stranded at the airport any longer, I pressed the phone to my ear. I stood up and carefully sat on my luggage. I would have sat at a bench but every benches that I saw were practically taken.

I heard a click. “Auntie Kim!”

-

Getting up from the luggage that I have been sitting on for quite a long while, I grabbed the handle and pulled it towards a direction. I headed for Gate 289, which was the new location that Auntie Kim and I had decided to meet up at since I couldn't find the gate that my mother had told me to be at. Gate 289 was just straight down from where I was standing at so it was much easier for me. I really relieved that Auntie Kim was fine with the change of location. I was afraid it wouldn't be convenient for her.

I reached the entrance of the gate and walked out on out, through the glass doors. The cold air welcomed my body as the wind wafted against my face, brushing my hair to the side. I pulled my hair together and hoist it up into a messy bun. I glanced around when I was done. I was stunned to see many people around the pick-up lane, known as the yellow lane. It was interesting watching how some people were waiting there, whether it was alone with someone with them. Most of them wore a stern look on their faces while the others were tapping their feet against the cement ground, impatiently waiting to be picked up.

Carefully, I dragged my luggage with me over to an area that weren't too far from the yellow lane. Auntie Kim informed me that her son will be picking me up at the yellow lane in less than twenty minutes. She said she wouldn't pick me up personally due to having to catching a flight as she had to leave Seoul for some conference. Honestly, I didn't minded that she couldn't pick me up. She was already kind enough to help me out by letting me stay at her place. I couldn't see myself bothering her anymore.

I pulled my luggage closer to my body when I felt it was getting quite stuffy outside. I didn't want to end up falling into one of those incidents where people with similar luggage would grab onto the wrong one by mistake. Worse case would be someone wanting to steal my luggage, not that I have anything precious in there. The only precious items that I had brought with me on this trip were my phone, money, and passport. My father, who's an expert at traveling, warned me to never bring any important possession because it's unnecessary.

My father is a business traveler. He's hardly ever home due to the business trips that he tends to be on. Most business trips takes about three-to-four days top but my father likes to extend his days of being away in another state or country. My father always has a heart for traveling around the world so whenever his business travels to a new place that he has never been to, after his meetings, he would stay there for a while to do some traveling and enjoying the new experiences.

My eyes pranced around, observing my new surroundings. People were entering and exiting over to the side, where the entrance was located at. They looked like a swarm of bees, pushing and shoving one another to get by. It was obvious that it was rush hour. People were rushing in and out of the airport, probably late for their flights or whatnot. I winced whenever I caught someone shouting out some foul words to another when they were shoved to the side. I was never fond with foul mouths so I didn't liked what I was hearin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter