The Sweet Life?

One for Romance

Suhwa was walking back from the restaurant by herself because Joowon was called into work. They only had a chance to get a bite to eat and on their way to the movies when his phone kept ringing. Suhwa insisted Joowon should go to work and she would be fine going back to her house alone. She wandered about downtown before actually going home, deep down inside she was still bothered about the mysterious return of her albums.

Suhwa passed by the little shops and she didn’t feel like window shopping. She then passed by the ice cream parlor called ‘Sweet Life’ and stared at the M&M shake, “Maybe this will take my mind of my albums.” She checked her wallet and she still had the $10 Joowon gave to her for the fare home.

As she made her way slowly in she was pushed aside by three guys running into the shop and literally fell inside skinning her knees and the palms of her hands by the doorway.

The three guys at first didn’t notice the girl on the floor and ducked behind the advertisement board the Sweet Life had.

Suhwa was caught off guard it took a while to realize what had happened. She looked over herself, she grabbed her tote bag and looked at her knees again. She was in pain but didn’t want to sit on the dirty floor.

“Hey you boys better watch where you’re going! You knocked that poor little lady over! I don’t need disobedient boys in my place!” the middle aged lady with bright red lipstick said behind the ice cream dipping cabinet. She turned Suhwa with a concerned voice, “Sweetie are you okay?”

Suhwa embarrassingly stood up and dusted her shorts off, “yes.” She looked towards the three guys and said, “You punks needs to watch where you are going,” she looked at them and they were still hiding behind the posters looking out towards the window.

She sat at the closest seat and looked at her right knee, it was scraped and her top skin was peeled back it didn’t look that bad. Then she pulled up her aching left knee and it was already throbbing. It was slowly bleeding and she knew it would scar. She began digging threw her bag and was happy that Joowon was adamant about keeping a little first aid kit in her bag.

“That was close,” a guy said behind the poster.

Suhwa was furious listening to this guy casually talking.

“What happened to you,” another voice had said.

Suhwa rolled her eyes and locked on to a 5’10” handsome man, she thought at first Jonghoon! Then started to laugh thinking that she was delusional for a second there, what would he be doing here?

As he leaned against the table lowering himself a little he examined the lady’s knee and couldn’t help to feel queasy.

“Hey!!!” the shorter guy said surprised, he was wearing a white and blue striped shirt said pointing at Suhwa.

Suhwa caught off guard to his surprised look; examined him closely with big eyes, “What?!? Me?!?” She looked over herself again and looked at her white V-neck t-shirt and thought she must have ripped it.

The taller handsome guy with the dark green V-neck t-shirt which hugged his upper body nicely it showed the outline of his muscles and dark denim blue jeans looked at Suhwa too and pointed at her with enormous, “You!!!”

Finally the third guy with platinum blonde hair with a ponytail that was pulled off to the side with a loose fitting black hoodie with gold imprints of chains all over came out behind the poster. He eyeballs almost popped out and he quickly slapped the two guys hands down.

Suhwa finally looked up and looked at the short guy, “What is it?!?”

The Blondie said, “You have something in your hair!” He leaned towards her as she slowly leaned back and he pulled out a leaf.

“Oh,” Suhwa said shyly, she grabbed the leaf and place it in her bag then smoothed her hair down.

As the three guys frantically looked at each other. Suhwa realized who they were and her heart skipped a beat. “You! And you… you! I know you!” She wasn't delusional after all but couldn’t say their names but pointed at each other over and over.

Hongki thought to himself, she knows we were the guys at the music store!!!

“Ft Island! Jonghoon oppa! Hongki! Minhwan!” Suhwa couldn’t believe they were standing in front of her.

“Oh yes! I’m Hongki!” Hongki felt a relief and was ready to shake her hand and he nudged Jonghoon and Minhwan. “Why is Jonghoon your oppa? Don't you know I’m your Oppa too.”

“Oh so-sorry!” Suhwa slightly bowed and reached out to shake his hand.

“Yah.” Hongki fell short of grabbing Suhwa’s hand to shake it, his eyes were stuck on her knee. “Are you going to clean that up?” He looked disturbed at the sight of it.

“Oh! Yes,” Suhwa covered her knee with her right hand as her left hand was still digging around for her first aid kit.

“May I?” Hongki pointed at her tote bag.

“Yes,” Suhwa replied with embarrassment.

“What am I looking for?” Hongki asked as he grabbed her tote bag.

“Oh I have a first aid kit in there,” Suhwa said quietly.

Hongki looked at the tote bag and thought it doesn’t match her outfit at all and tossed it to Jonghoon.

“Oppa,” she said to Jonghoon, “I can do it! It’s okay you don’t have to look for it.”

Hongki sat directly in front of her and said, “He can do it,” he waved towards Jonghoon and looked at Suhwa in the eyes.

Jonghoon stumbled with the bag at first and opened it up and looked at Hongki with an annoying grin.

Suhwa sat there not wanting to make eye contact and cleared , “So what brings you all here?”

Hongki impatiently blinked his eyes at Suhwa wondering why she didn’t look him in the eyes, “Minhwan, go get us some ice cream.”

“I don’t have that much money on me,” Minhwan stood up looking at the menu.

“Oh, I have some money in my purse,” Suhwa pointed at Jonghoon.

“Really?!?” Jonghoon and Minhwan said like little boys looking at Suhwa like a caring mother.

Waving his hands in front of Suhwa’s face, he looked even more annoyed, “No!” he glared at his bandmates. He pulled out his wallet and handed it to Minhwan. “Get me Cookies N’Cream.”

“Yay! Can I get anything too?!?” Minhwan had the biggest smile.

“Yes,” Hongki replied, waving him away from the table.

“I want vanilla with lots of Butterfinger mixed in,” Jonghoon said still rummaging in Suhwa’s bag,

Hongki still staring at Suhwa, “What do you want?” Hongki pointed at Suhwa, before she could answer he yelled at Minhwan, “Get her pistachio!”

Suhwa looked at Hongki, “Oh, thanks you don’t have to.”

Hongki waved her off and said, “That’s what you like right?”

“Yeah it’s okay,” Suhwa didn’t not like it, well because she never had it. Suhwa looked at Jonghoon and said, “Oppa you don’t have to look for it, I’m okay.”

Jonghoon looked up at her and smiled, “I found it.” He pulled out a pink bag with white hearts on it. He put Suhwa’s tote bag down on the table and started to .

Suhwa mortified at what Jonghoon was ready to discover, she leaped towards him and lost her balance. “Noooooooooo!” She then found herself sitting on Jonghoon’s lap. Jonghoon wasn’t quick enough to move and found Suhwa on his lap and she snatched the bag away. Jonghoon’s eyes were like saucers and he didn’t know what to say but put his arms in the air.

Suhwa’s face was red and she started to sweat, “Sorry! Sorry!” She tried to stand up but her left leg was sore and she leaned on the table. Jonghoon still unsure what just happened had his hands still in the air looking at Suhwa. “Sorry Oppa! It was the wrong bag.” She snatched her bag away from him too and searched quickly for her first aid kit, she pulled out a white bag with a red cross on it and showed it to Jonghoon. As speechless as he was Jonghoon smiled and moved away an inch or two from Suhwa.

Minhwan and Hongki were still staring at her trying to make sense of it all.

“It’s my friend’s bag of cigarettes,” Suhwa thought of a lie, “She doesn’t want her parents to know she smokes and I didn’t want you guys to think that I smoke too.” She waved the pink bag at them and quickly stuffed it back in her bag.

“Ahhhh,” all three looked at each other reassured.

‘Phew’ Suhwa thought, ‘that was close!’ Suhwa opened up the first aid kit and grabbed the antiseptic wipe; she ripped it up and at first dabbed the wound and then wiped it clean. Suhwa hissed because of the pain and Hongki and Jonghoon looked on scrunching their noses every time they heard her clear her wound in pain.

“Are you going to live” Jonghoon smiled at Suhwa, looking at her knee.

“Yes,” Suhwa said looking at him and quickly looked down feeling her cheeks heating up. Suhwa noticed her palms and started to wipe them too with the wipe.

“Your hands okay?” Jonghoon started to feel worse thinking about the pain he had caused her, his carelessness of hiding from fans and he practically ran over one.

Hongki looked at the two and interrupted, “You should use some Band-Aids,” he grabbed the kit and pulled out four of them. “These aren’t very pretty, they look plain and ugly.”

“It’s okay, it came with the kit, I’ll refill it with Hello Kitty next time,” Suhwa grabbed the bandages, “let me throw this away and wash my hands in the bathroom.” Suhwa slowly got up and made her way to the bathroom.

Hongki snatched the tote bag away from her side of the table and looked for the pink bag, “I didn’t think she was a smoker! Such a bad habit,” he looked at Jonghoon, “to think you thought nail biting bad, she's a smoker!”

Jonghoon raised his eyebrows surprised in Hongki’s reaction to snooping through her bag, “You don’t like her? Right?”

Unsure how to respond, Hongki ignored the question and found the pink bag. He looked around the store and ped the bag and found a handful of wrapped up candy in yellow plastic wrappers. He picked up one and took it out, “Cigarettes?” he threw on to Jonghoon.

Jonghoon examined it and opened the wrapper and it was a plastic tube with a string hanging at the other end. He tried to pull the string and at first it wouldn’t give so he pushed the bottom down and out came a rolled up tissue.

Hongki started to laugh so hard and Jonghoon looked at him puzzled. The sound of the door opening, Hongki pushed the pink bag back in the bag and waved at Jonghoon.

Not knowing what to do he shoved the stuff in his pocket and stood up when Suhwa walked towards them. She looked at the two and he hoped she didn’t know.

Suhwa could have sworn she heard the Hyena laughing but when she come out there was no one else there besides the three from Ft Island and the owner of the store. Suhwa sat down and Hongki was grinning from ear to ear.

“Hey, you know our names but what do we call you?” Jonghoon shifted towards Suhwa looking interested in her now.

Suhwa couldn’t help to blush and mumbled her name, “Suuwaa…”

“What?” Hongki grabbed her bandages and arched his brow, “What’s your name?”

Clearing , “Suhwa.”

“Ahhhh, Suhwa, that’s a pretty name,” Jonghoon smiled his cheezy smile, “Too bad you bite your nails.”

“Huh?” Suhwa didn’t know it was obvious that she was the occasional nail biter.

“I mean, your nails look messy, I figure you must be a nail biter.” Jonghoon recovered and smiled his greasy smile towards her.

She was lost his smile and her heart started to beat faster, “Sorry.”

“Here, here, here…” Minhwan came with the ice creams. He placed each one in front of each person and he was already halfway done with his.

“Hold on!” Hongki was scribbling on something and moved his ice cream to the side.

“Thanks,” Suhwa said and stared at her ice cream.

“There!” Hongki slid two bandages to her, one was decorated with skulls while the other one had hearts and stars. “What do you think?”

“Wow,” Suhwa smiled looking at the two bandages, “I don’t want to use them now.”

Hongki smiled at her, “you’re welcome, but you must use them or else your knee might start bleeding again.” He looked at Jonghoon and felt 1up.

Jonghoon looked at them and at Hongki, “those are okay.” He took the other two and grabbed the marker from Hongki and began to draw on them too.

Hongki looked at Suhwa who was busy staring at Jonghoon and he grabbed her right hand. Her eyes were now stuck on Hongki’s hand. He grabbed the bandage with the skulls and placed it on her palm. He took her other hand in his and placed the other bandage with hearts and stars on her left palm. “There,” he looked her in the eyes and said, "now you can think of me and this day that I made your hands pretty again.”

Suhwa felt the tears that were ready to come, she couldn’t believe this was happening to her. She looked down and the bandages and quickly grabbed her spoon and took a spoon full of ice cream in .

“My turn,” Jonghoon said out loud. He looked at Hongki with determination in his eyes. The first bandage had messy looking flowers with a huge cat like head in the middle, it was his attempt of Hello Kitty. The second bandage had a big guitar in the middle with stars around it.

“What’s that?” Hongki started to laugh at the cat, “looks like an egg with whiskers, where’s the ears?”

“Oh,” Jonghoon took it back quickly and tried to fix it.

“You forgot the bow!” Hongki was nit picking Jonghoon’s drawing.

“It’s okay,” Suhwa felt the need to defend Jonghoon, “I love it. I’ll wear it but I don’t think I will want to take it off.” Suhwa smiled at Jonghoon.

Jonghoon felt victory and made the Casanova attempt to win Suhwa, he his lips and kneeled down to Suhwa and was ready to place the funny looking Hello Kitty on her left knee.

Suhwa froze and gasped aloud.

“Yah!” Hongki grabbed Jonghoon, “You think its okay to do that to her?!?"

Jonghoon puzzled, looked at Suhwa, “It is okay?”

Suhwa looked at Jonghoon’s puppy eyes, then to Hongki who gave her a father-like disapproval and to Minhwan who stopped midway from putting another scoop of ice cream in his mouth.

“Ahhhh,” Suhwa looked like a deer caught in headlights and grabbed Jonghoon’s hands and stood up a little, “I can do it, thanks Oppa.” She gestured Jonghoon to stand up and she sat down quickly not making eye contact with him. Suhwa felt her face so flushed she couldn’t even look in their direction. She faced the other way putting the bandages on.

Hongki looked at Jonghoon in disbelief. Jonghoon looked at his two bandmates and mouthed, ‘Whaatt?’

Suhwa finally gathered her nerves together and face towards Hongki again and started to eat her ice cream, she wasn't too fond of the choice but she couldn't bring herself to disagree with Hongki's choice. The atmosphere was awkward and no one was speaking, everyone including Suhwa were busying themselves eating their ice creams.

Hongki's phone started ringing, "Yeah?" he sounded thankful, “we’re at this ice cream place,” he looked around for the name of the place, “no, it’s okay. We will meet you there.” He hung up his phone. “We have to go, Jaejin’s waiting for us two blocks down, and he has the van and will be here shortly.” He started to gather his things and Minhwan quickly followed.

Jonghoon slowly got up and looked at Suhwa, “I hope your wounds heal quickly and leave no scars. I’m sorry for injuring you and make you feel uncomfortable.” He smiled again and look apologetically.

“Oppa, don’t apologize, I wasn’t paying attention to my surroundings. I’m not uncomfortable around you, I’m just really nervous that I got to spend time with you.”

Jonghoon’s cheeks turned a shade of red and as he was ready to say something he was cut off, again.

“He wasn’t the only one in the room,” Hongki sounded annoyed again.

“Yes, I know,” Suhwa looked at Hongki and Minhwan, “thank you Oppas for taking care of me. I will cherish this day and look forward to see your concert soon.”

Hongki looked Suhwa over again, “Okay, good,” he looked pass her to the table they were sitting at. “Looks like you are wasting the ice cream, I guess you don’t like pistachio?”

“Oh, no.” Suhwa grabbed the ice cream that was melted, “I was just too nervous to eat around you… you all,” she locked eyes on Jonghoon. “It was delicious,” she looked to Hongki, “thank you for picking this out for me.”

A smug smile ran across Hongki’s face, “Take care of yourself and I hope you will come to our concert,” he walked to her and patted her head.

Minhwan looked at her and smiled like a little boy, “thank you for an interesting day.” Hongki slapped his head and all three walked out of the Sweet Life. Leaving Suhwa behind holding her pistachio ice cream in her hands.