Mother knows best

One for Romance

Suhwa stood staring at herself in front of the mirror. The red mark was still there... hours and hours had pasted... the lunch and movie and the red mark was still there.

 

"Why can't he understand? It's not like were broke?!? It's not like we are starving!" She looked at herself again and pinched her cheeks, I could lose a pound or two... she thought.

 

"Brat?! Brat?! Aish... What does he know! If I didn't buy that hoodie I could be paying a whole lot more on eBay!" She continued to rub her red mark, hoping it would disappear. "He should be thanking me that I decided not to buy Rain Oppa's new album!"

 

She sat at her desk, looking at her wall. "Too bad there's no more room for posters or he would have killed me if I bought more posters."

 

*knock from her door*

 

"Yesss..." she rolled her eyes and knew exactly who it was.

 

Suhwa's mother slowly opening her door, "Suhwaaaa."

 

"Eomma! It wasn't even my fault! I only spent..." Suhwa tried to speak as fast as she could before the lecture.

 

"Suhwa, you have a nice and caring man willing to take care of you and this is how you treat him?" Suhwa's mother sat on the bed looking serious, she stared straight at Suhwa hoping that she will 'straighten' her ways.

 

Suhwa sat back and thought, this is how it always starts...

 

"Don't you be giving me that look Suhwa! $70 on a sweater? You know Joowon tries his hardest to help us. It's not easy without your appa."

 

Suhwa thought... she never brought up appa... never. Her tears started to form and she thought this isn't fair. It's been 5 years since appa was killed in a drunk driving accident. How can a caring father of two and a wife he loved since grade school be taken away from us? The drunk driver survived without a single scratch and my appa died 2 blocks from this house.

 

Her mother continued and Suhwa couldn't hear anymore, she couldn't hear her mother lecturing over her heart breaking again. A tear dropped and she began to cry silently. Her mother continued on until she too began crying.

 

Suhwa sat there hugging herself and trying to stop the pain from becoming greater. She has been a good daughter and never drank, never smoked, never cussed and she was getting scolded for Kpop? Appa never lectured her for using her allowance for kpop albums. Oh, how she wished he would come through that door and yell, "Who made my Squirrel cry? Who's the evil person that stole my Squirrel's acorns? I'll have to teach that person a lesson!" How she longed for his hugs and kisses; especially the smell of his aftershave. She sat there and tried to hide from the pain.

 

Suhwa then heard her mother's cries and she felt a hundred times worse. How could she be so selfish and think of just herself?

 

"Eomma, don't cry. I promise I'll be good. I promise I'll be a good wife. I promise I will take care of you and Sora. Eomma don't cry.  I'll apologize to Joowon. I'll beg for forgiveness, please Eomma stop crying." Suhwa hugged her mother and calmed her down. "Eomma, what do you want to eat? Did you have lunch? Come on, let me cook you something." Suhwa wiped her mother's tears and walked her out to the kitchen.