(1)

Fighting for You

It was only 5 AM, but the house was already bustling with energy. A figure of a girl that was busy making breakfast for her parents. While she was busy, everyone was still wrapped in their blankets. When everything was set, she knocked on the doors, letting them know that the breakfast already set. Waking up her little brother was pretty tiring, but she always managed wake him up in under 10 minutes. For Yoonmi, this was her daily morning routine. Before she left her room, she looked at her mother’s photo.

 

“I’ll be going to school,” she smiled while facing the photo.

 

“Noona! Let’s go,” Jaewon already stood in front of the door with his blue backpack on, waiting for his sister.

 

“Arraso. Abeoji, halmeoni, I’m leaving,” Yoonmi bowed at the elders who were enjoying their tea. They nodded; not really paying attention to her.

 

“Jaewon-ah, be good at school, okay?” her step-mother said as she came to the younger boy and fixed his uniform.

 

“M—“

 

“Just go,” her step-mother cut Yoonmi’s greeting off. A sigh escaped Yoonmi’s lips. Then the kids walk off to school.

 

“Don’t fight and don’t break the rules. Follow what the teacher says and do the task that the teacher gives you. Have fun with your friends, okay?” Yoonmi squatted down so she could be at her brother’s eye-level. Her little brother nodded. This year, Jaewon is enrolled in the primary school while Yoomi is now a freshmen in senior high school. 

 

--

 

First day was okay for Yoonmi. She made friends with the girl who sits two seats behind her, Jung Areum—who was friendly to everyone. Areum is bold and exerts confidence. She’s attending Woonam High to become an actress.  Woonam High School is a top school in every aspect: sports, entertainment, and exact subjects. Anybody who goes to Woonam either becomes super rich, super talented or super smart. For someone like Areum, who was already rich, she was there to work on her acting skills. People always talk about how talented she is. But it was different for Yoonmi, she came there to become a great business woman and continue her family’s company. It was what her family wanted her to do; not what she wanted to do. 

 

--

 

“Yoonmi-ssi! Let’s eat together,” Areum waved her hand so Yoonmi could know where she was.

 

“Okay, but please drop the formalities,” Yoonmi gave Areum a smile.

 

“Okay, so Yoonmi-ah, this are my friends from the junior high. This is Jungeun and Nara. So girls, this is Yoonmi! She sits in front of me.”

 

Yoonmi gave them little smile and introduced herself, “Kim Yoomi.”

 

“Wow, a nice bracelet you get there,” Jungeun nudged Yoonmi a bit looking at Yoonmi’s bracelet.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Where did you buy it?”

 

“Hmm…it’s from my mom.”

 

They nodded in unison. 

 

“So, Yoonmi-ah, what minor subject did you choose?” Areum said as she bit her apple. Somehow Yoonmi was quite confused with the girls’ eating habits. How do they get full with just fruits?

 

“Hm, I chose fine arts. What did you guys choose?” Yoonmi replied while eating her lunch. She was eating home-made bibimbap that was delicious and filling. 

 

“Areum takes acting classes while the both of us take vocal classes,” Nara replied to Yoonmi’s question as she was eyeing her food. Yoonmi raised her eyebrows.

 

“You want some?”

 

“No, it’s okay. This is enough,” Nara pointed at her fruit salad and smiled. Yoonmi just nodded while listening to the girls’ gossip.