Like a Nightmare

Guilt and Forgiveness
There was no doubt about what the message meant; but Aaron still hoped it was about something like ice cream. He could actually use one right at that moment, to cool down his headache.
He remembered something that Xiao Gui had said before:
“It will be very easy for you, I think. After I tell her, she’ll call you on the phone, then there’s nothing else to do than break up and hand her over to me.”
Aaron doubted it would be easy. Not the process, but the fact of losing Gui Gui. He had to prevent it.
He had to tell her.
But when? He couldn’t tell her in class, in the breaks neither. She wouldn’t trust him, and would only ask him not to joke about such things. It had to be after school.
But when would Xiao Gui then take action?
Aaron speculated about this the whole evening, and couldn’t fall asleep at night. This resulted in that he felt really bad next morning (and maybe it wasn’t just the miss of sleep).
“Aaron, you don’t look too well?” his mother said, when he came out to get breakfast.
“Didn’t sleep,” he just said, but got nausea by looking at the food.
“I think I’ll skip breakfast,” he said, and prepared to walk into his room to get dressed.
“You look pale – I think it’s best if you take a day home,” his mother said determined.
“No! No, I have to go to school, it’s important…”
“Your friends can bring your homework to you, you look really sick,” she said, nearly forced him to go to bed again and called the principal. Aaron could hear her tell him, that Aaron wouldn’t come to school today.
Damn.
What should he do now?!
He could hope that Gui Gui wouldn’t trust Xiao Gui either, after all she didn’t trust him – but he suddenly realized that he had to tell her sooner or later. It couldn’t continue like this…
He also remembered what Gui Gui had said the day before.
“I can’t imagine what you could’ve done that would make me love you less.” Did she really mean that?
Without thinking, Aaron took out his mobile phone and called Gui Gui’s number.
“Wei?” she answered.
“Hi,” Aaron said.
“Is something wrong?” she asked, a bit worried.
“Uhm… I just called to say that I won’t come to school today,” he said; he actually didn’t know why he had called her.
“Why?”
“I feel a bit ill, so my mother forced me to stay home…”
“I’ll visit you after school!” she said immediately.
“Really?” Aaron asked surprised.
“Why not? Jiro has Genie anyway; I think they would want private life instead of us making an awkward situation for them,” she said and laughed.
Aaron smiled. How he loved her laughter. He wouldn’t be able to miss it.
“See you then,” he said, and hung up. He decided to tell her when she visited him after school.

Aaron tried to get some sleep, but still couldn’t. How should he tell her? He could not be too direct, but should still sound honest…
His mobile phone rang. Maybe it was Gui Gui – their classes should be over by now, so he grabbed the phone and pressed the green button without looking at the number.
“Hello?” he said.
“Hi Aaron… It’s Xiao Gui.”
No. No, not this.
“Why do you call?” Aaron asked, with shattering voice.
“Oh, just to tell you that your little girlfriend – or maybe soon ex-girlfriend – probably will call in a bit to get some details confirmed,” Xiao Gui said, and sounded like he smirked; or maybe that was too much to say, his smile never reached his eyes.
“W-what did you tell her?” Aaron felt like puking.
“What do you think? I warned you yesterday… But if you are that slow-witted, I will with pleasure cut it out in cardboard for you. She now knows everything about her sister’s death, and especially your importance in it.”
Aaron was afraid that if he opened his mouth, he would vomit. But that wasn’t an option anyway, as he was frozen in every single muscle in his whole body.
“Well, I have more important stuff to do – see ya, or maybe not.” And Xiao Gui hung up.

But Gui Gui didn’t call; she wanted it confirmed face to face.

***
It’s getting to the !
Thanks for all your nice comments! It means so much :)
Silent readers, give sound! Or at least when the fanfic is finished ^^,

- Blitz