Awakening

Time Lapse

The first time she hovers near consciousness, she can barely make out the reality; barely putting her thoughts in coherence. The air seems too stale and hygienic for her nose. And it is too cold, too. Her head is still clouded with long and extended sleep that refuses to go away, so she lets it take over her again.

The second time, she fights the heavy feeling all over her. Her thoughts are finally functioning and she struggles to take control over herself again. Her fingertips graze the soft fabric under them. She wills her lips to move, but her voice cracks due to lack of use. Finally, she wins the war over her eyelids. Adjusting her sight, and blinks a few times, until she sees white. The lights.

“Baby?” Her ears catch the words and responds right away with a glance to her right. Blinking hard to clear her view, as well as clearing her head, she furrows her forehead. She is trying to match the face to a name, a memory, or anything; but nothing comes to her.

“Who are you?” She croaks.

* * * * *

“It seems that the impact of her fall, combined with the trauma at the back of her head had caused Mrs Lu to lose some of her memories or amnesia. This is not uncommon as the concussion is quite bad and she lost a lot of blood.” Luhan can just sigh at the doctor’s words. The relief that washed through him turns out to be like a bucket of freezing cold water dumped on his head. Her questioning and empty stare leave him frustrated. Why couldn’t she remember him?

“But she did ask for her brother. Why did she forgotten about me, but not him? Isn’t this is what amnesia is all about? Lost of memories?” After asking who he is, Ae Young did ask for her brother, Luhan’s brother- in-law. Dr. Song sighs and takes off his glasses.

“ Amnesia is more than the damage of the brain part responsible for memorization. It involves the emotional state of a patient, too. Unconsciously, the brain will erase the bad memories as a form of self-protection or defence. A few months or years might be wiped out from their memories. The same goes for Ae Young.”

“Does that mean that she lost 5 years of her life?” He is truly shocked. Their life together had been erased in a flash, at least on her part.

“It is most likely. Luhan, she needs you the most now. The physical pain she felt right now is nothing compared to the both of your lost. She needs to take care of herself more right now since the ....”. Luhan cut him off.

“Can we please keep it a secret from her? Please, don’t tell her. All of this is my fault and I can’t ever forgive myself. She had been through a lot of things and I think this is the final straw that she could handle. Or else she wouldn’t forget about me.” Tears start to well up in his eyes and he throws his hands to his face.

“All of this is my fault.”

After calming himself down, he heads to the room where his wife is. Yes, his WIFE. Kim Aeyoung is his wife of almost 2 years. After courting her for like 3 years, despite the rising popularity of EXO, the saseang fans lurking around in every step he takes, they worked it all out. His beautiful and only one wife now had forgotten him. Their memories, their treasure. All of it turns into dust in one night.

“Your pulse seems good, stronger than ever, Mrs. Lu. I will be back to change the bandage, so stay put and rest, okay?” The nurse seems friendly and smiley as she examines her. The doctor had come before and left with the man. Who is he? And what did the nurse call her Mrs Lu? ‘I am not married yet. 22 is too young for that.’ She thought in her head.

-------------------------BEFORE-----------------------------

“Your vital is stable. No sign of severe brain damage. No sign of seizure as of yet.” Dr. Song examine her files provided. The clouds that fog her mind are completely gone by then, so she felt so much better.

“I need to ask you a few questions now to test you cognitive ability, just in case the concussion is more of a being deal than we expected. Just answer with ease, okay? Most probably your head will hurt if you do.” The doctor looks at her oddly, but she does not dwell on it and agree nonetheless.

“What is your name and age?”

“Kim Aeyoung, 22 years old”

“Do you know where you are now?”

“I am in South Korea now because of my job.”

“Any other information that you could recall?”

“Erm, I just came back from the U.S. last week. I should be starting my new job next month. That is all I could remember. How did I end up in here?”She furrows her forehead in confusion. Her mind is like a blank sheet of paper about any incidents that may lead to her current situation. The doctor scribbles away on his board and look at her solemnly.

“Well, it looks like the time moves forward for you. Now is the year 2017; today is 7th November. You are 27 years old now.”

---------------------------PRESENT------------------------------

The man comes back to the room as the nurse is preparing to leave. His face shows a much noticeable frown and his shoulders are slumped. But, when he sees her face, his lips curve upwards to form a strained smile and his eyes twinkle. She could not help but notice that the man is good looking, very good looking at that.

“Aeyoung-ah, how are you feeling?” His smooth voice dances through the air as he seats beside her. Not sure of how to respond appropriately to the stranger, she mutters ‘Good’ before trying to sit up straight and fail miserably because her head swirls from the abrupt movement. He rushes to aid her.

But as he touches her, she flinches away from his touch. “Please, don’t touch me. I do not know you.” Eyes clench shut tightly, she holds her aching head. Missing the look of pain and hurt etches throughout his face.

“I’m sorry.”That is all that he can say before hovering around her, wanting to ease her pain but not capable of touching her. ‘Oh God, why?’

She leans back on the bed and feel her head feeling better. The pain starts to fade away. She makes a mental note not to move like that again anytime soon. As her thoughts come back to her, she asks him again.

“Who are you?”