Dandenong Day Out

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's note: I'm terribly sorry about the lack of updates. I've just been swamped. I hope you guys are still with me. Just a couple of chapters more. Enjoy! :)

 

 

I flicked my gaze into the depths of the crackling fire in the fireplace. There, in that writhing inferno, I sought to forget my cares as I recollected the events of the day. More specifically, the dinner we just had with my father, and Ji Hyo's invitation to him to join us for tomorrow's outing.

 

My father seemed like a changed man; taking steps to better himself, as evidenced by his abstinence from alcohol. I had been surprised by how observant he was. That he suspected all along, that I was gay. He seemed to show a genuine interest in me and didn't seem at all like the man I grew up knowing. I didn't know how I felt about it and confusion gnawed at me.

 

I heard the wooden floorboard of the cabin creak as Ji Hyo approached and I watched her reflection from the glass window as she stood quietly behind me. Silently, I continued staring into the fire, watching the flames as they danced. After a beat, I heard her soft query. “Are you angry with me? That I invited your father on a day out with us?” She asked, her tone questioning and unsure.

 

Turning around slowly to face the actress, I smiled gently to reassure her. “No, of course not.” I said, before taking a step forward and pulling her in for a hug. Bending, I rested my face in the crook of her neck. “I understood why you did it.” I mumbled, my words muffled against her body.

 

She ran her hand gently over my back in an attempt to soothe me. “Then what's wrong? What seems to be bothering you?” She asked.

 

“It's the wolves in here.” I replied, pulling away reluctantly and tapping the side of my head.

 

“It is always thus. The monsters of the mind are far worse than the physical ones. Fear and doubt have hamstrung more people than beasts ever have.” The Korean murmured in response.

 

“And love.” I pointed out, smiling wryly and staring meaningfully at her.

 

“And love,” She admitted. “Also greed, and jealousy and every obsessive urge we sentient beings are susceptible to. It just makes us human.” She reasoned gently and paused to let her words sink in.

 

I stared back into her brown orbs, silently observing her. Countless thoughts rushed through my head, but I was unable to give voice to them. She smiled softly at me before cupping my cheek with a warm hand and gazing tenderly at me. “How do you feel?” She asked.

 

I shrugged, “You know as well as I do.”

 

“A few minutes ago I did. But not now. You have grown still, and looking into your mind is like peering into a lake so deep and dark, I cannot see the bottom. What is in your heart? Is it rage? Is it happiness? Or have you no emotions to give?” She prodded.

 

“What is in me... is acceptance.” I said, finally settling on the particular emotion. Acceptance for the things I could change, and the things I could not.

 

“It'll be fine. Your father seems to really care about you. You should get to know him and see.” She suggested softly. “Accept what is, let go of what was and have faith in what will be.” She continued wisely.

 

 

The following day, we met up with my father in the town of Belgrave where we would board the Puffing Billy, one of the biggest attractions in the Dandenong ranges. The steam train would take us all the way to the township of Lakeside.

 

What was special about the Puffing Billy, was the ride itself. Firstly, you had the option of sitting on the windows of the carriage and sticking your legs out for the trip. Secondly, the views as the train's rattling red carriages runs across historic timber bridges and through lush forest of eucalyptus gum trees is breathtaking. If you were lucky, you might even spot a wild native animal or two. 

 

Spotting my father's towering figure from a distant, we waved at him and he ambled towards us. “Good morning, Mr Murtagh.” Ji Hyo greeted cheerfully with a slight bow. He returned her greeting with a friendly hello before turning to me.

 

“Good morning.” He said, smiling wanly.

 

“Father.” I mumbled, returning the greeting stiffly.

 

Ji Hyo took my hand gently in hers, soothing over the tension I was feeling. She gestured towards the line for the tickets, smiling gently. “Shall we?” She asked, before turning and leading us towards the line.

 

 

“Daebak!” Ji Hyo exclaimed as the train moved off. She looked like a little kid, sitting at the open window, her feet sticking out, enjoying the cool air from the surrounding forest. I grinned back at the actress. Next to me, my father laughed, his booming laughter reverberated through the cabin.

 

“Indeed! It's been a long time since I've been here. The last time I took this train, Reg was still a kid.”

 

I was surprised, I didn't think he remembered. Sparing my father a glance, I saw him smiling sadly at me. Uncomfortable at how personal this was getting, I quickly glanced away. From the corner of my eyes, I saw him do the same.

 

Before we could delve further into deeper thought, I was interrupted by Ji Hyo's excited little shriek as the front of the train turned a corner and started to go over a wooden bridge. The Korean held onto my arm as we crossed a deep gully. This was probably the scariest moment of the trip as our feet dangled several metres above a small river on a tiny wooden bridge.

 

“Ya! Why didn't you warn me about this?! I would've worn shoes instead! What if I had lost my slippers?” Ji Hyo scolded, slapping me lightly on the arm after we crossed the bridge.

 

“You are so hen-pecked!” My father laughed. I could only shrug and smile.

 

 

Arriving at Lakesid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter