Seoul Long

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A week later, I found myself back in Seoul and on the set of the latest Running Man filming. I hadn't spoken to Ji Hyo since my confession as the actress had headed back to Seoul the morning after the fan meet, while I stayed on in Singapore, catching up with friends.

 

 

“Dax! Over here!” I called out, waving at him.

 

He skated over, passing me his spare board. Getting on the board, we pushed off and started on the track. We skated in quiet companionship for a while, just people-watching and admiring the scenes as they whizzed by. “I'm surprised you finally picked up skateboarding. It's fun, eh?” Dax commented.

 

“Yeah. Ji Hyo bought a board for me and taught me how to skate a couple of months ago. And I've been skating ever since.” I told him as I reminisced about that early autumn day along the shores of the Han river whereby the actress had taught me how to skate. I related the events to him, a wistful smile on my face.

 

“Well, this isn't the Han River and you ain't a pretty lady. But it's still good!” I quipped.

 

“Well, I'm sorry I'm not Ji Hyo, and we're skating along a park connector next to a longkang and not the Han River.” He muttered sarcastically in response.

 

“Come on, man. I'm sorry! But it's not like that and you know it.” I apologised.

 

Dax cocked his head to the side. “You like her. Don't you?” He stated matter-of-factly.

 

I kept quiet, not bothering to deny it. 

 

“I knew it.” He said. “So what are you going to do about it?”

 

I sighed, “Move on...” I stated simply. Catching the look I gave him, Dax wisely chose not to pursue the matter and we continued skating.

 

 

The day's filming was being held on location in a school. Entering an empty classroom, I walked around it, inspecting and checking that the room was secure and that no one was hiding in it. I was about to head back out to complete my rounds when the door suddenly opened and Ji Hyo rushed in. In her haste, she bumped into me, losing her footing in the process. I automatically reached out to stabilise her. As she straightened up, she looked back at me and we stared at each other in surprise. It was still early and I wasn't expecting the cast to be in yet.

 

I was about to speak when she put a finger to her lips, signalling for me to keep silent as she pulled me aside and away from the door, into a small hidden corner next to the whiteboard. She kept her attention riveted on the door, but due to the confined space, she was pushed up against me. Having her pressed up against me was unbearable and after a couple of seconds, I pushed her away gently.

 

Ji Hyo finally looked back at me, “Sorry! I'm just trying to hide from my stylist. She's being insistent that I put on this horrid outfit. I had to escape before she did. Aish.” She cursed before blushing lightly, and I chuckled at the situation.

 

The actress cocked her head to the side and stared at me. “You're back already! That's fast!” She exclaimed. She seemed surprised, but otherwise appeared happy to see me. Nodding, I smiled back at her. But things soon began to take on a poignant mood. She stared pensively at me, studying me while I looked down at my shoes avoiding eye contact.

 

“Reg?” She started hesitantly, sensing the tension in the room. I blinked a couple of times before looking back up, gazing forlornly at her. She looked like she wanted to say something but was holding back. After a moment, she seemed to give up. “Never mind.” She mumbled, glancing away.

 

I felt bad. I was supposed to be the friend she could trust and come to for anything. She shouldn't have to share my pain. “What is it?” I muttered grumpily while keeping my tone gentle.

 

At this, Ji Hyo brightened and smiled softly back at me. “Did you have a good break back home?” She asked.

 

Truth was, I had missed her. More than I dared to admit. In the week that I spent in Singapore, time seemed to grind to a halt. I thought about her constantly. When I ate something nice, I wished she were there to enjoy it with me. When I saw something nice, I wanted to get it for her. Even while skating with Dax, I wished she was there to join us. I wished I could tell her all that, but I knew I shouldn't. So I stared back at her, attempting to maintain an impassive expression so as not to give myself away. “Yes.” I finally mumbled, before looking back down at my shoes. She didn't need to know the truth.

 

From the corner of my eyes, I saw the actress's smile widen and I was suddenly unable to lie to her anymore. “Actually... No.” I confessed.

 

It gave her pause, and she looked over to me, her brown eyes seeking mine. Looking back up at her, I went on. “What if... what if I told you... I only took a break for a week, but already, it was too hard for me... The time passed too slowly?” I mused, staring meaningfully at her.

 

She gazed back at me thoughtfully, a wistful expression on her face. She blinked several times before taking in a deep breath and looking back at me. “If that's the case... Perhaps you really should take your friends' advice and go on dates. Find that special girl.” She suggested. I continued staring back at her, waiting for her to elaborate.

 

“Because when you have someone special to spend your free time with, that free time becomes precious and just slips through your fingers like that.” She remarked, snapping her fingers. “Most people look forward to their days off, but you... Aish.” She cursed. “Maybe I should take those days off for you.” She offered jokingly.

 

I smiled fondly at her, appreciating how gentle she was in letting me down, but I still felt tears forming behind my eyes. Bowing my head, I hid them quickly. “Yeah, I suppose that's true, eh? Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.” I commented wryly, keeping my head lowered so she wouldn't see the pain splayed on my face.

 

Ji Hyo fidgeted about, appearing slightly uncomfortable. Sparing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter