Singapore Satay Confessions

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Author's Note: Firstly, a big thank you to everyone who upvoted The Bodyguard. The Bodyguard is now featured! I'm really thankful to all of you who upvoted and commented on this story. Thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart. With that, please enjoy this latest update! 4/9/14

 

 

Over the next couple of days, I no longer felt moody or broody. Instead, since that fateful night at Ji Hyo's, I began to experience a curious sort of peace coming over me. It didn't stop the hurt, but at least I was at peace with myself and the world. The peace I found, came with my decision.  

 

“Hey! How's it going?” Yan greeted as she walked into my apartment. I smiled in greeting. She stopped when she saw me seated on the floor, packing a small suitcase. “Going somewhere?” She asked as she studied the almost packed luggage.

 

“I'm heading to Singapore tomorrow.” I answered casually.

 

“What!? But you're coming back right?!” She demanded.

 

I stared morosely back at her, trying to hide my amused grin but ultimately failing. Finally, I cracked and broke out in laughter. “Relax. I'm just going back for a Running Man thing. It's only for a day or two, but I've extended my stay, so I'll be gone for a week.” I explained.

 

“You gave me a fright. I thought you were packing to leave Seoul! Afterall, you've finished your studies and are just left with your convocation. Although that's not for another few months, right?” Yan asked.

 

“Aww, I didn't think you cared so much about me.” I teased and she rolled her eyes.

 

“You seem to be in a much better mood. I assumed things went well the other night? You finally told her, right?” She inquired.

 

I felt my left lip twitch, curving upwards to form a small wry smile. “No... I didn't get to tell her the other night.” I said and looked down on the floor, away from her eyes before speaking. “Yan... She's with Gary now.” I told my friend, my voice sounded muted to my ears. Before she could respond, I continued. “I saw them kissing.” I admitted quietly.

 

“Reggg... I'm sorr–”

 

“It's alright, Yan. It's better this way... I'm not good for her.” I interjected, cutting her off. I didn't want to hear the words of comfort. Of pity. I didn't need anyone's pity. Yan glared at me, ready to launch into another tirade. Putting up a hand, I stopped her.

 

“Before you say anything, listen to me,” I said, a guilty expression crossing my face. “You know what I did to Chang Joo... I got mad... Lost it for a split second and almost beat the guy to death. What if I got mad at her too?” I asked, before looking back at my suitcase. “I wouldn't be able to live with that. She shouldn't be with me. I'm too much like my father.” I mumbled, quiet conviction filling my voice.

 

“Reg... You won't be okay with this.” Yan protested, a concerned expression on her face.

 

Closing my luggage, I looked back up at her, meeting her eyes. “I'm okay. I really am. I've made up my mind and I'm at peace with my decision.” I told her, a note of cold determination coloured my voice. Yan sighed softly, she knew there was no changing my mind when I had made it up. I stared back at her and smiled softly.

 

“But I'm going to tell her about my feelings. She deserves to know.” I mused. Pausing for a second, I took a deep breath, steeling myself for what I had to say next. “And I... I deserve to get this off my chest. So that I can move on.” I said. “I just... I just have to find the right time.” 

 

 

Grabbing my cabin luggage from the overhead compartment, I exited the aircraft  onto the narrow passage of the aerobridge where the team was waiting and the head of the security team came up to me, “Pass your luggage to one of the coordis and take up your position. We didn't expect so many people to be inside the transit area.” He instructed. Handing my luggage to a young coordinator, I smiled encouragingly at her. It was her first time abroad and she seemed nervous. I knew how it felt being in a foreign country for the first time. The sights, the sounds and the smells can overwhelm one.

 

I then hurried over to where the cast was being held and went to Ji Hyo's side. The local Singaporean security team was already assembled. The actress smiled up at me. “Reg!” She greeted cheerfully. I smiled in return. “Wow, I didn't expect so many people to be here.” She marvelled.

 

“Yeah, I think no one expected it.” I said in response. The actress smiled back at me, setting my heart aflutter. Ignoring it, I glanced around and spotted only HaHa, Jong Kook and Suk Jin. There seemed to be no sign of Gary. “Isn't Gary attending this fan meet as well? Why isn't he here?” I asked.

 

“Oh, Gary oppa has some friends in Singapore. He arrived early yesterday to meet up with them first.” She explained. “Are you excited to be home again?”

 

I shrugged, “Excited is not really the word I would use. I suppose I'm more happy to be home. You know, catch up with my mates. Get some local food. That kinda thing.”

 

Ji Hyo agreed and once security was in place, we were given the all-clear to disembark. As I walked out of the aerobridge, once again stepping into the familiar settings of Singapore's Changi Airport, I was greeted by the sight of dozens of fans trying to catch a glimpse of the stars. I followed after the group, keeping pace with my charge, keeping my eyes peeled for any over-zealous fan. After clearing immigrations, we boarded the cars that would take us to the W Hotel on Sentosa where a meet and greet with the Singapore press was being held.

 

 

The day had been a whirlwind affair. Gary joined up with the group at the press conference – which had taken longer than expected. By the end of it, I was pretty tired. I was impressed with the cast's professionalism. I was sure they were as tired as I was, and yet they answered every question thrown at them in a cheerful, enthusiastic manner.

 

Once the interview wrapped up, the hosts arranged for the cast and crew to have dinner at a popular seafood restaurant. They were bringing them for one of Singapore's signature dish, chilli crabs. I wasn't a big fan of the dish and thought to skip dinner, but I somehow managed to find myself being dragged onto the mini bus by Ji Hyo.

 

“I hear we're going for chilli crabs!” The actress chirped excitedly as she came up to me after the interview. Taking hold of my arm, she started for the chartered bus. “Is it really as good as everyone says? I can't wait to try it.” She enthused.

 

I shrugged non-commitally. “Well... It's supposed to be the representative Singapore dish. Our national dish. But personally, it's not really my thing.” I answered honestly.

 

“I think I'm going to head off for the night. My work's done for the day.” I added as I tried to slowly extricate myself from her hold.

 

She only held on tighter and pouted. “Aww, come on. You've worked so hard today. Just enjoy the free dinner.” She said, appealing to my inner miser.

 

It was true, I had worked hard for the day. Perhaps a free dinner was in order for my services rendered.“Yeah, I suppose you're right.” I conceded.

 

Gary came over to join us and I smiled in greeting. “Look, I'm just going to go with the crew members. Catch you guys later.” I told the pair before turning around and boarding the bus that the crew were on.

 

 

After dinner, I took my luggage from the coordinator who was holding on to it for me. It had been arranged for the chartered vehicles to take the cast and crew back to the W Hotel in Sentosa. I, however, was going to head home. As I turned to leave, I ran into Ji Hyo. “Reg!” She greeted cheerfully. The actress seemed to be in great spirits. “Where are you going?” She asked, gesturing to the luggage I had with me. 

 

I blinked in surprise, a little taken aback by her sudden and direct question. “Erm... Home? I live here, remember?” I answered, cocking an eyebrow at the actress. “And maaaaybe supper.” I added sheepishly, shaking my head.

 

At the prospect of food, Ji Hyo's eyes brightened. “Oh! I'll join you!” She said, inviting herself. “What better way to experience a country than to have a local bring you around. Let's go!” She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter