Aftermath

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Red and black dots clouded my vision, forming a colourful haze as I struggled to get my bearings. I was sprawled on all fours next to Ji Hyo, my hands and knees supporting my weight. Shaking my head, I fought through the haze and dizziness. Slowly, painfully, I pulled myself up into a kneeling position. Glancing at Chang Joo, I saw that the once disarming smile of the man was far removed. Instead, a contemptuous scornful smirk replaced it.

 

Something warm trickled down my chin. Raising my hand, I wiped it away with the back of my hand. My hand came away red. The side of my jaw throbbed painfully but it wasn't a serious injury. Swiveling round to look at Ji Hyo, I found her clutching her shoulder. The immediate area surrounding it appeared angry and sore.

 

I turned my attention back onto Chang Joo, filled with an unbelievable rage. Rage that anyone could hurt her so badly. I suddenly wished that I could kill him. I was taken aback by this wild emotion and tried my best to keep it under control. My whole body trembled with the effort. The effort of containing the barely suppressed fury. The room seemed to close in on us, becoming unbearably hot.

 

Glaring at Chang Joo, I growled low in my throat. “Give me one good reason why I shouldn't rip you apart.” I snarled as I got to my feet.

 

“Stay out of our affairs. This is none of your business so move aside.” He growled.

 

But I would not be moved. I stood my ground, the caged wolf inside roared its defiance, snapping at its chain, demanding to be let loose. Keeping it in, I snarled. “No. You'll have to go through me first.” I challenged.

 

Chang Joo was fast, faster than I gave the stout man credit for. Before I could react, he swung an elbow at my temple. It was a clean shot and I reeled from the impact. Before I could recover, a booted heel found its mark, ploughing into my stomach. It felt like a train was hitting me head on, smashing my guts together. This time, I slid onto the floor soundlessly, defenceless. The air having been driven out of my lungs.

 

I struggled to catch my breath as a cloudy haze descended over my eyes. Tears. I was tearing from the pain. Somewhere from within the dimness of my awareness, I heard a feminine voice yelling out for the man to stop.

 

“Stop, Chang Joo! Stop! That's it! We are over! Get out!”

 

Shaking my head, I blinked away the tears and I saw Ji Hyo attempting to hold Chang Joo back. He spun round to face the actress. “You dare to break up with me?!” He thundered.

 

“Yes! I've had enough!” She retorted. I watched, horrified as Chang Joo grabbed Ji Hyo by her hair and hit her across the temple. I heard a shrill cry of pain as she dropped to the floor, unmoving.

 

From the fog, a crazy rage rushed to the surface, spiralling out of control. An intense heat washes over me, blindingly hot. So hot, I could even feel it spreading into my bones, giving me the strength and speed to get to my feet. Grounding my front foot, I shifted my weight to my back foot. Twisting my hips to generate torque, I threw the full strength of my arm and body weight behind the punch. With the precision gained from years of training, I aimed for his unprotected jaw, thinking only to incapacitate the man and braced myself for the jolt and pain I knew were sure to follow when my fist connected. Pain erupted at the point of impact, an icy cold trail blazing up my arm. Chang Joo stumbled backwards but didn't fall.

 

Damn it.

 

I crouched, panting slightly, trying to regain my strength. I watched wearily as he straightened. “Is that all you've got?” He crowed, smirking infuriatingly at me. Concerned, I spared a glance at Ji Hyo laying on the floor, passed out. Turning my attention back to him, I saw understanding dawn on his face. “Does it hurt you to see me hit her?” He taunted, his voice just above a whisper. “Oh, I know you like her. Pity, she doesn't feel the same way about you!” He sneered.

 

My left eye twitched in pain at the words, betraying my true emotions. I stared into his furious eyes, baring my teeth. “And you know what else? She is still signed under my company!” He continued, gloating. He was truly enjoying this. Deriving joy in seeing me bowed before him; like a slave at the foot of her master, relishing the power he had over me with his words. He smiled a cruel smile. “I can do whatever I want. Even as far as making it impossible for her to get any work. What can you do about it?”

 

I could feel the wolf snapping at its chain. The shaking worsens and I fought it uselessly, cringing on the ground where I crouched. Everything was hot and red and it feels like I’m going to explode. The wolf pounced. This time, I can’t stop it. It roared its victory as it broke free of its bonds. I was vaguely aware of an inhuman roar issuing from deep within me.

 

Leaping towards the man, I crossed the small distance separating us in an instant. I took his head in my hands and brought my knee up to his nose. There was a blunt crack, and I released his dark-haired head. Grim satisfaction crept into me as I noted the crimson that leaked from his nostrils. Stumbling, Chang Joo fell, and I mounted him. In the full mount position, I was in complete control. I proceeded to ground and pound, raining blows down on him, beating the man to within an inch of his life.

 

He turned around, offering his back. Seizing the chance, I encircled his neck with my right arm ensuring that his trachea rested at the crook of my elbow. I then grasped my left bicep with my right hand. I placed my left hand behind his head before squeezing, trapping him in one of my favourite jujitsu moves, the rear- choke. When applied properly, a person can be rendered unconscious in seconds, and recovery from the choke was just as quick.

 

Within seconds he went limp, and I released him. He groaned softly, barely conscious. His chest gently rose and sank with each shallow breath he drew in. My knuckles were bruised and raw from the pounding. Ignoring the pain, I grabbed his shirt and dragged his limp body to the door. He put up little resistance. Once at the door, he staggered to his feet, and I snarled viciously, my face twisted into a savage countenance. “Get out!” I growled, my voice a low rumble. Using what little strength I had left, I threw him out. Slamming the door, I pleaded to any higher entity that could hear me; to not let him try to come back in. I didn't think I could go for a second round.

 

Turning back, I saw that Ji Hyo was still on the floor, unconscious. I rushed to her side. There was a nasty bruise forming where Chang Joo had struck her, but other than that, she appeared fine. Gathering her lithe body up in my arms, I carried her to her room and gently laid her on the bed. She stirred slightly, softly. Worried, I ran to the kitchen. Taking a towel, I grabbed a small pail and filled it with ice and cold water.

 

Hurrying back to where I left her, I tended to her. Wetting the towel in the pail, I tenderly wiped her face. The coolness of the wet cloth roused her. Her eyes opened without warning. They were wide and filled with terror as she tried to scramble away from me. “Shh. It's okay. It's just me.” I called out gently to her. She calmed down slightly, but her eyes darted around the room, searching. “It's alright. You're safe. He's gone.” I informed her softly. She watched me, her eyes still frightened.

 

I sat quietly at the foot of the bed, unmoving. I knew from my own experience, that she was scared and the best way to treat her would be to treat her like I would a wounded animal — slowly, thoughtfully. Allowing her to come to me in her own time. After a moment, she sidled towards me. When she was close enough, she suddenly threw her arms round my neck burying her face against my shoulder, crying softly. I could hear her soft sniffles.

 

Slowly, so as not to startle her, I wrapped my arm around her and pulled her in closer, hoping it would help to make her feel safe. “Shh. It's okay, it's okay.” I crooned comfortingly. “I'm not going to let anyone hurt you. I promise.” I finished solemnly.

 

I didn't know how I was going to do it. -wad had a point, Ji Hyo was still signed under C-JeS. But I swear I would take another beating before I let him lay a finger on her. As if sensing that, she looked up at me. I smiled reassuringly before pressing the cold towel against the swelling on her face. “I promise... I'm going to do everything within my power to ke

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter