True Colours

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji Hyo and I had been waiting for over 30 minutes and there was still no sign of Chang Joo. She tried calling him but her calls went straight to voicemail. The wind began to pick up and a light drizzle started raining down on us. The actress wrapped her arms around herself to keep warm. Mentally cursing Chang Joo for his tardiness, I silently took off my jacket and draped it over her. She smiled thankfully at me and we made idle talk whilst waiting for the CEO.

 

Finally, after almost an hour, Chang Joo pulled up in front of us. Throwing open the car door, he stormed out of the vehicle, appearing to be in a foul mood. He moved impatiently, stomping over to us. I greeted him politely and he acknowledged me with a curt nod. A part of me wondered where the charming, charismatic man I had first met went.

 

Putting it down to Chang Joo just being tired, I shrugged off his brusque manner and tried to help him with Ji Hyo's bags, but he yanked them from my hands and dismissed me. Sullenly, he took Ji Hyo's bags and threw them into the boot where they landed with a loud thud. I narrowed my eyes at this but held my tongue, concerned that any comment I made might ruffle his feathers. I was aware that my last meeting with him didn't end well.

 

Picking my backpack up from the floor, I waved to the couple. “Alright guys, I’m off. I'll see you next week, Ji Hyo!” I called out.

 

Chang Joo pointed to his car. “I’ll give you a lift home.”

 

“It’s fine, Chang Joo. I’m sure you guys are tired–”

 

“Look! I can't just leave you here after you've stayed with Ji Hyo for the past hour. Just get in and stop wasting time.” He snapped irritably, cutting me off before getting into the driver's seat.

 

Okay... Mr Bossy-pants.

 

His tone irked me and my temper flared. I felt the familiar heat as a defiant spark flashed, threatening to grow into a raging inferno if I let it. I mean, I wasn't very close to him and I, for one, wouldn't snap at someone I hardly knew. Still, as I watched Ji Hyo meekly follow him into the car, I kept my temper in check. Biting my tongue, I smothered the spark before it could turn into a flame. I knew it was likely that she would be the one to deal with the repercussions of my outburst, so I kept my peace and got in.

 

The ride was filled with a stony silence. Ji Hyo glanced nervously at Chang Joo, her eyes darting between him and her lap. She would look over at him, appearing as though she was going to speak, only to look back at her lap and maintain her silence. It was almost as if she was afraid to speak her mind with him. It hurt me to see that. It shouldn't be like this. Couples should not fear each other. It reminded me of how my mother and I were with my father; always afraid to talk to him, terrified of saying the wrong thing. Threading carefully around him.

 

None of my father's friends ever knew what went on at home. With them, he was always polite and charming. It used to confuse me as a child. That whenever we went out, he would be in great spirits. Wining, dining and entertaining his friends. But once we came home, his mood turned and he became sullen and dour. A wrong word, a wrong action, meant a world of pain for us.

 

Could Chang Joo be an abusive partner? It would explain the strange bruises I saw on her arms a couple of months back. Although they could have been just as easily inflicted by the Running Man guys as they grappled for Ji Hyo's nametag in a nametag ripping game. For Chang Joo's sake, I certainly hope that was the case.

 

Stop it! You're being jealous and paranoid! How can he be abusive when Ji Hyo is clearly happy and enamoured with him?! Just because your father is a jack-, doesn't mean Chang Joo is one!

 

I couldn't argue with that. From the back seat, I observed as Ji Hyo took a deep breath, gathering herself. “Oppa.” She spoke softly, demurely. In an almost submissive tone. It was a side of her I had never seen before. Perhaps she was trying to appease the man. “Is everything ok? Talk to me.” She said. Reaching across to the driver's seat, she held Chang Joo's hand, gently tracing the veins. I sank into the posh leather seats, pretending to be busy texting on my phone.

 

Her actions placated him and the frown he was wearing, disappeared. The stony silence dissipated, as he went on to tell her about his day; how he had been stuck in meetings trying to get something passed. A lot of it was industry jargon, which I didn't understand. So I cast my eyes out into the night, letting my mind drift off. Lost in quiet contemplation.

 

“I’ll get it eventually. I always get what I want.” Chang Joo declared loudly, his tone haughty, breaking through my silent reflection.

 

From the rearview mirror, I caught a glimpse of his smug expression, his lips twisting into a conceited smile. I had the feeling, that he was talking about more than just work related stuff. But at least he seemed to be in a better mood. Leaning in close to Ji Hyo, he spoke softly against her ear, trying to make it so that I couldn't hear, but I still caught the question. 

 

“Your place or mine? I can sleep over or you can stay the night.”

 

The way he said it was laced with ual undertones and innuendo. The slight wriggle of his eyebrows, the suggestive smile on his lips, all led me to suspect he wanted more than just an innocent night's sleep.

 

True to her nickname on the show, Ji Hyo remained unaware, failing to notice the looks Chang Joo had given her. “Mine, please. I'm so tired. I just want a hot shower and sleep.” She replied, rubbing her neck. She looked tired, sore and worn out from the filming and my heart went out to her.

 

“You don't want to spend time with me?” He retorted harshly and I found myself clenching my fist and biting the inside of my cheek to prevent myself from uttering a sharp rebuttal.

 

This isn't my fight. This isn't my fight. This isn't my fight.

 

I chanted, Yan's words ringing in my head.

 

“Oppa... I'm tired. I just want to sleep.” She pleaded softly. I was relieved to hear her fight for herself. But at the look he gave, she relented. “You can stay over if you want.” She suggested.

 

“I can't wait to get you home.” He said, smirking slightly. His comment left little doubt in my mind about the nature of his intentions. This time though, Ji Hyo caught it. She blushed and gave him a warning glance.

 

“I'll even give you a massage if you want.” He offered, unaware of the looks of embarrassment Ji Hyo was giving him, her eyes darting to the rear passenger seat.

 

Erm Chang Joo? I'm right here!

 

I squirmed in my seat, highly uncomfortable at the direction that the couple's conversation was heading. I felt sorry for potentially putting Ji Hyo in an awkward situation. Sinking further into my seat, I tried to make myself smaller and less noticeable. I continued sliding down till my knees touched the front passenger seat, and not for the first time, cursed my tall frame.

 

Pretend I'm not here. I am just a figment of your imagination. I do not exist.

 

I thought acerbically. Was the man so randy that he forgot he had company in the car?

 

From the times, he glanced at me from the rearview mirror, I was beginning to think that it was not a case of over-active hormones, but a serious case of possessiveness. Of staking his claim over Ji Hyo. While I understood that, I couldn't help but wonder if he was so insecure in his relationship with her that he felt the need to somehow reinforce it. He should know that I pose no threat to him. Ji Hyo loved him. And it was not like I would ever shake the status quo. Especially when I had nothing to offer her.

 

Perhaps his attitude was brought on in response to my appalling behaviour when he brought us out for lunch. I hadn't officially apologised to the man in person. (Ji Hyo had done so on my behalf, assuring me that Chang Joo had been gracious and thought nothing of it.) But as he had been in such a foul mood earlier, I had not wanted to risk further souring it.

 

I decided that since he was in a better mood, now would be as good a time as any to broach the subject. “Hey, Chang Joo?” I began apprehensively, my usually low and rough voice sounded a few octaves higher than usual. I could've slapped myself. He spared me a glance from the rearview mirror. “I never got to thank you for lunch the other day. So erm, thank you.” I said, trying to keep my tone even. Giving him a little bow, hoping it would show that I respected him.

 

“Also, about the other day. I'm really sorry about my behaviour. I know I wasn't myself, but what I said was rude and disrespectful of me. Please accept my apologies.” I said acknowledging my offence, accepting responsibility. “If there is anything I can do to show you how sorry I am. Please let me know.” I continued, lowering my head, trying to show him how truly regretful I felt.

 

Although there was nothing tangible to repair, I hoped that by offering to do something, I'd be respecting Chang Joo's feelings and perhaps restore any lost dignity.

 

“It's alright. It wasn't your fault. Alcohol has the ability to make a sane person insane. It was my fault. I shouldn't have insisted.” He said.

 

The charismatic charm was back in full force as he smiled at me from the rearview mirror. However, the smile didn't seem to reach his eyes. Instead, there was a smug air about him. It didn't feel sincere. It was like he was only saying it because it was expected.

 

As a result of Chang Joo's speeding, I soon found myself by the side road of my apartment. I waved to the couple before bending to wish Ji Hyo a good night. Chang Joo never gave me the chance, speeding off into the night, leaving me blinking dumbly at the headlights in the distance. A curious sense of melancholy washed over me in waves as I thought of the reason behind his rush. Pushing the feeling aside, I made my way home wordlessly. Opening my door, I found my apartment awash in darkness and a delicious aroma filled the tiny place.

 

I found a covered plate. Underneath the plate was a note. It would seem that Yan had cooked dinner for me. Lifting the cover, I found a plate of spaghetti with meatballs. Meat, carbs and cheese. The three basic food groups all humans depended on to survive. Ok fine, that last statement isn't true. But meat, carbs and cheese? What's not to love? It was comfort food at its best. That, and I usually never say no to meat.

 

After heating it up, I sat down to eat. My thoughts drifted b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter