Of Changes, Birthdays & Growing Closer

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's note: Thanks to everyone who voted. The results are in, and an overwhelming number of you voted for C. I will see how I can weave that into the end. Thanks all!

 

 

The New Year was a busy period for Ji Hyo as she started work on a new drama. As the lead actress, her hours on set were long. Still, she took the time to come round my place after filming, although she'd often be so tired that I let her stay the night. I even bought a camping bedroll so I had something to sleep on when she stayed over. In fact, she spent a considerable amount of her free time with me. I was happy and thrilled to spend time with her, but nevertheless, it made me uncomfortable. I was still hesitant about entering a relationship with her, so I was wary of the way I interacted with her.

 

With the frequency of her visits, I began noticing subtle differences in my apartment. A vase of freshly-cut Irises sat in my living room. The small purple flowers were unobtrusive, and they suffused the air with a light fragrance that – for me, evoked summers of freshly picked raspberries and scythed golden fields turning bronze under the sun. I inhaled deeply, appreciating the way with which Ji Hyo had asserted her individuality into my life without erasing mine.

 

Heading up to my room, I spied a couple of small bottles of moisturizers on my bedside table, arranged neatly next to my packet of alcohol wipes. Shaking my head, I smiled tenderly before walking over to the bed and throwing myself on it. Ahh, finally! A day that I have my bed back to myself. Grabbing a pillow, I pulled it towards me and hugged it, catching a whiff of Ji Hyo's fragrance. Closing my eyes, I breathed deeply, taking in the faint lavender scent that lingered. Clutching the pillow tightly to my chest, I allowed myself this tiny moment of weakness.

 

Cracking open an eye, I eyed the bottles of moisturizers, the latest additions to my room and my life. Picking one up, I studied the label. They immediately brought back memories, transporting me back to the night when Ji Hyo had stayed over. I smiled fondly in recollection.

 

 

“Choi Jin Hyuk is such a bad kisser!” Ji Hyo exclaimed out of the blue as she lay on my bed. “We needed ten takes just for a simple two-second wedding kiss!” She explained, pouting adorably.

 

After a day spent filming the pilot episode for her new drama, she had made her way to my place for a late dinner. She looked so worn out that I didn't have the heart to ask her to drive home, so I invited her to stay the night. From my bedroll next to my bed, I cocked an eyebrow at the actress. “Are you... Are you trying to get a rise out of me?” I asked.

 

She smiled coyly. “Maaaybe? Is it working?”

 

I rolled my eyes, scoffing softly. “Should I be? Look, you're an actress. It's your job. If anyone is in a relationship with you, they'll have to understand that that's the nature of your profession and respect that you were being professional and doing your job.” I answered, my voice clipped but not unkind. “Besides, you and I aren't...” I trailed off, sighing softly, unable to complete my sentence.

 

“We aren't in a relationship.” She said, completing it for me. “Reg... I've already shown you I'm willing to fight for this. That I'm serious about us. I can fight for you. For us. But I can't fight your fears for you. And it is your fear that is holding you back.” Pausing, she drew a deep breath before continuing. “You are afraid you'd hurt me. Like how your father hurt you and your mother.” She added, her voice barely above a whisper.

 

I glanced away, shamefaced. Ji Hyo cupped my face tenderly, raking me with her brown eyes, studying me. “Why do you fear the past? You are your father's daughter. Not your father himself. You are not bound to his fate.” She assured.

 

“The same blood flows through my veins... Same weakness.” I answered forlornly, feeling helpless.

 

Ji Hyo stared lovingly at me. When she spoke, her voice was patient and gentle. “I've told you this before, and I'll always be here to tell you this: you are not your father and you will never become him. You have a tremendous capacity to love. In spite of what you have endured, you remain pure of heart. Selfless. You may share the same genes, but that doesn’t make you who you are. Yes, you have the abilities and skills to hurt someone. But it is not what we can do that show who we truly are... It is our choices.” She said, smiling softly at me before tenderly brushing back my hair.

 

“Reg... Your past doesn’t have to dictate who you are, but it can help you discover who you’re meant to be. There are two positions one can take toward anything in life: hope or fear. Hope strengthens, fear kills. You are too concerned with what was, and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called, ‘the present.’ Each new day is a gift. So, shouldn't we live in the now? Shouldn't we enjoy what we have now?” She asked gently.

 

Unable to argue with her logic, I smiled wryly in response and she beamed back at me. Taking her pouch from my bedside table, she slid across the bed, gliding onto my bedroll. She sidled up to me before snuggling into me. I raised an eyebrow in question. Ignoring me, she dug into her pouch, retrieving a small bottle of moisturizer. Pouring a small amount of the cream onto the palm of her hands, she took my hands and began applying the lotion over them, rubbing it into my skin till it had been absorbed. “Ya. You'd do well to take better care of your hands. So rough and calloused.” She chided playfully.

 

Rolling my eyes at the lecture, I grumbled. “Pfft. Of course my hands are calloused! It's from all the grappling training. Besides, I'm not the big time actress who needs to take care of her skin.” I teased, winking cheekily. “And It's not like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter