Giving voice

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oof!” I grunted as I felt the air being forcefully expelled from my lungs. Ji Hyo had just performed a basic but near perfect body drop on me. Blocking the punch I had thrown, she swept me off my feet (not that she hadn't already) and flung me to the ground. From the floor, I stared helplessly up at the actress. Although it was only the first day, under the combined tutelage of Yan and I, she made steady improvements.

 

Well, the credit went mostly to Yan. Because although I knew how to execute the moves, I wasn't so good in the explanation department. Yan, with her background as a teacher, was great at explaining the concepts and correcting the Korean's moves. Whereas I merely acted as the “Practice Dummy.”

 

We were currently practising in Ji Hyo's apartment, which was located in the swanky part of Ilsan, near The Korean International Exhibition Center. She had invited us over, opening up her place for use as it was more spacious than mine and would be more conducive to practise the throws and body locks.

 

It was my first time in the actress's home; a nice modern two bedroom apartment, overlooking Ilsan Lake Park. The large windows by the balcony let in plenty of light and kept her apartment well ventilated. It also allowed for a fabulous unobstructed view of the lake. Ji Hyo had incorporated plenty of wood designs in her furnishing. The beech fittings and birch flooring gave off a light, fresh woody scent. Conjuring up an image in my mind, of a winding forest path leading to a log cabin.

 

The rays of sunlight streaming in combined with the wood finishing, the white walls and lightly coloured furniture gave her apartment a warm, inviting vibe. It felt like a home and for the first time, in a long time, I felt at home. Although Ji Hyo didn't seem to be the tidiest person around; an unwashed cup was left on her dining table and a couple of jackets were thrown haphazardly on her cream coloured couch. It didn't deviate from the fact that to me, it felt like home.

 

It left me feeling a little overwhelmed as I knew the actress to be extremely private. In fact, during the earlier episodes of filming, she hadn't even wanted the Running Man members to pick her up at her place. I was touched and incredibly honoured to think that she had enough trust in me to invite both Yan and myself over. Albeit it was for her own personal benefit, it still moved me.

 

Ji Hyo giggled as she extended a hand to me, helping me up from the wooden floor. “My, my. For a bodyguard, you seem awfully soft. Perhaps I don't need you protecting me.” She teased, her eyes twinkling with mirth.

 

“Hey, I'm not soft! I happen to be a remorseless fighter.” I countered, growling and mock-glaring at her as I got up, patting my sore .

 

At this, Yan skipped over to me, holding a necklace made of flowers, calling out in a sing-song voice. “Oh, Reggie-poo! Where are you? I made you another flower garland.” She slipped the wreath over my head before turning to Ji Hyo, smiling innocently. “She keeps losing them.” She told the actress before skipping off gaily.

 

Earlier in the day, we had come across a little girl holding up a signboard, selling fresh cut spring flowers. I explained to Yan that she was an orphan from an orphanage and was raising funds. She looked so adorable that my friend couldn't resist buying the lot from her, resulting in her sudden interest in weaving flower garlands for me.

 

Rolling my eyes at the retreating form of my friend, I turned back to the Korean. “Ok, missy... Since you're such an expert now, I'm not going to go easy on you.” Growling low in my throat, I rolled my shoulders, trying to intimidate her.

 

Ji Hyo only giggled softly. I narrowed my eyes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter