Morning After

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I shivered, the chilly air rousing me from my slumber. Wrapping my arms around myself in an attempt to keep warm, I opened my eyes, blearily taking in my surroundings to find that I was alone in Ji Hyo's room. The actress was nowhere to be found. Noticing her absence, a sense of despair gripped me. She wasn't drunk enough to have forgotten what had happened last night, so I was sure she must have woken up before me and freaked out.

 

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! You just had to go and ruin everything.

 

Cursing, I threw the covers off and quickly hopped out of bed, now fully awake, determined to find Ji Hyo and explain myself. I'd beg if I had to. Although I knew I wasn't the only one to blame. It took two hands to clap and that she had taken part in it too, but I still felt that I needed to make things right. After all, I wasn't the one who was inebriated. I didn't want to lose her. Looking around the room, I frantically searched for my phone, hoping to reach her with a phone call. I was in such a state of distress, I never heard the door to her room open.

 

“Reg?” I heard Ji Hyo's voice call out softly.

 

Spinning around quickly, I found her standing under the doorframe looking over at me, a concerned expression on her face. “Ji Hyo, you're here.” I breathed, speaking almost to myself. I couldn't quite believe my eyes. Couldn't believe she would still be here. That my worst fears: that she'd run from me, were for nought.

 

As if sensing that, she smiled reassuringly at me. “Where else would I be silly? This is my home.” She replied in an offhanded fashion while gesturing about her apartment. I swallowed hard and took a step in her direction, only to pause as the events of last night came rushing back. Unsure, I stood frozen. I didn't know how to react after last night. Ji Hyo smiled shyly. Tucking a strand of hair behind her ears, she walked towards me and ever so gently, took my hand in hers. I looked back at her curiously. “You must be hungry. Come on, I made some breakfast.” She said.

 

I nodded stupidly and followed her. I was half certain that I was either dreaming or that I had died and gone to heaven. She just made out with me last night! How could she be so calm? If I were her, I'd be freaking out! A straight woman, kissing and almost having with a woman. And not just any woman mind you, but one of my best friends. Could it be possible that Ji Hyo feels more than just friendship towards me?

 

No. Stop it! Don't hope.

 

With her hand still holding mine, Ji Hyo led me out into the dining room. The room smelt delicious! The aroma of freshly ground coffee wafted up my nose, piercing through the remnants of a foggy veil of sleep with its rich scent of roasted beans. The bitter, yet invitingly warm fragrance filled the room but there was something else in the air, another tantalising aroma. Pancakes! I detected them before my other senses registered their presence. The delicious homey, sweet scent of fried butter, eggs and flour reached my nostrils and assaulted my brain with mouth watering images of fluffy, warm goodness.

 

“You seem to prefer western breakfasts so I made pancakes.” She said, letting go of my hand and pointed to the table. “They aren't the Costco ones that you like. I got this pancake mix from the nearby Korean supermarket so don't expect too much.” She went on to explain.

 

I blinked disbelievingly. “You- you went out specially to get this?” I asked, stumbling over my words.

 

“Yeah, I was up early and thought of making a nice breakfast for you.” She answered shyly.

 

I smiled softly in return, incredibly touched by the gesture. “I'm sure they'll taste delicious because they were made from the heart.” I told her and we both blushed. Clearing my throat, I looked away from her, focusing my attention on an empty space on the wall behind her, taking a sudden interest in it. I was still avoiding eye contact with Ji Hyo when I heard her giggle softly. Tearing my attention away from the wall, I raised an eyebrow in question.

 

She returned it with an amused smile and a slight shake of her head. Taking a step towards me, she extended her hands to my shirt and undid the first button. Surprised, I took a step back and stared wide-eyed at her, like a deer caught in the headlights. She smiled gently. “You've misbuttoned your shirt.” She informed, motioning to my shirt. Glancing down, I saw what she was talking about. In my haste to get dressed last night, I had indeed misbuttoned it.

 

Still staring wide-eyed at her, I gently removed her hands from my shirt. “I'll, I'll do it myself.” I stuttered awkwardly and redid the buttons.

 

Shaking her head softly, she smiled and gestured to the chairs, inviting me to take a seat. As soon as I was seated, she placed a cup in front of me. “You take your coffee with milk and half a teaspoon of sugar right?” She had even remembered the way I usually drank my coffee. Bringing the mug to my lips, I inhaled deeply, taking in the strong undeniable scent of coffee. Taking a sip, I found that the taste was to my liking. It had the right balance of creaminess and sugar to counteract the bitterness of the coffee.

 

Ji Hyo took a seat across from me and I watched as she took a sip of her coffee before setting her cup down. At the sight of the black liquid swirling about her mug, I wrinkled my nose. The actress caught my look of disgust and giggled softly. “What? I'm slightly hung-over ok!” She protested. “I swear you're such a kid sometimes!” She scolded, a teasing note in her voice.

 

In retaliation, I stuck my tongue out at her childishly, causing the actress to break out in sudden laughter. It was infectious and I found myself chuckling. Together, we shared a bit of a laugh before I turned serious. Glancing at Ji Hyo, I held her gaze. Swallowing past the sudden lump in my throat, I stared at her. “We have to talk.” I began.

 

Raising her cup, she took another sip of her coffee before peering at me over the brim, her large brown eyes round and expressive. I felt myself drowning in them. “Yeah, I know,” She mumbled. Setting her cup down, she offered a tiny, shy smile. “But later. Let's have breakfast first, ok?” She suggested.

 

I agreed. Things were always clearer on a full stomach.

 

Snagging a few pieces of pancake off the main serving platter, I stacked them on my plate. Slathering the still steaming pieces of heaven with maple syrup and copious amounts of butter, I cut off a big bite and lifted it to my mouth. It was pure bliss. First, the sweetness of the syrup unfolded on my tongue, quickly followed by the delicate, buttery taste of the pancake itself. The coolness of the syrup and heat of the pancake complemented one another perfectly, serving to bring out the subtle flavour of the pancake. I scooped up another bite to replace the one which was quickly disappearing down my throat and then another. Before I knew it, all that remained on my plate were dribbles of syrup.

 

Looking over at Ji Hyo, I found that she had also finished her breakfast. She caught me staring at her and we exchanged several awkward glances. Each waiting for the other. Clearing my throat, I decided I should take responsibility for my actions. “Ji Hyo?” I called out softly. She looked over at me, giving me her full attention. I continued, “I'm really sorry about last night. I mean, I was the sober one. I shouldn't have returned the kiss.”

 

Raising her hand, Ji Hyo cut me off. “No, no. If anyone should apologise, it should be me. I don't know what came over me last night. Well, actually I do. I felt unwanted and I was trying to validate myself and in doing so I might have used you. I'm so sorry.” She apologised.

 

Nodding, I showed that I understood. “We're still friends, right?” I asked hesitantly. “You're not going to go all awkward and stop talking to me right?” I added, slightly nervous.

 

She smiled. Reaching across the table towards me, she took my hand and hooked her little finger with mine. “Of course we're still friends. The best. I'm not going to let something like that damage our friendship.” She assured. I smiled in return, relieved.

 

Still staring at me, Ji Hyo took a deep breath. “The thing is... I like you. I'm comfortable with you.” She admitted shyly, blushing prettily.

 

I gaped stupidly at her admission.

 

“I mean you're my best friend and I enjoy our friendship.” She clarified quickly.

 

My heart sank slightly but not wanting to make the situation any more awkward than it already was, I smiled at her. “You're one of my best friends too... and I wouldn't trade our friendship for anything.” I told her, melting at the warm smile she gave me.

 

“I'm still curious though. Why, why did you kiss me back?” She asked suddenly.

 

This time,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter