What Our Hearts Tell Us

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Catching the ferry back to the mainland, we rode back into Ilsan. Ji Hyo was in high spirits, I could hear her humming a happy tune as we headed back into the city. It both lifted and warmed my heart.

 

Having just spent a day on the beach, Ji Hyo was hankering for some seafood. On account of her cravings, we decided to head for the clam barbeque restaurant where we first had dinner together. Earlier, Erin and Yan had called to ask if I wanted to have dinner with them. I was about to tell them that I had dinner plans when Ji Hyo suggested that we could all have dinner together. After texting the address to the pair, we met up with them outside the restaurant. “Oh! I've heard great reviews about this place, but I haven't had a chance to try it. Wow Reg, you're becoming more Korean than I am. You know more places than I do.” Erin teased. Rolling my eyes, we entered the establishment.

 

We ordered the standard clam barbeque set and Ji Hyo suggested that we ordered the sannakji as well. Yan, who had yet to try the live octopus dish was pretty excited. Although sannakji was usually only found in restaurants that serve hweh, this clam place had it as well. According to Ji Hyo, they did a slightly different rendition of the dish. Traditional sannakji was served with a light seasoning of sesame oil and a generous sprinkling of sesame seeds. And while the sannakji served here had that seasoning as well, it also came smothered in a fiery homemade gochujang paste which Ji Hyo highly recommended.  

 

When the dish arrived, I looked at it sceptically. Having been raised for almost half of my life in a Western culture, I was still wrapping my head around the concept of raw food. Especially raw food that looked like that. Its cephalopod tentacles, chopped into manageable segments, wriggling in the air, its nervous system too spirited to calmly accept its demise. I watched as Yan picked up a squirming tentacle and quickly popped it into , chewing with nervous vigour. “Hmm. It's not bad. Chewy with a briny tang. It tastes very mild. Not at all what I was expecting and the sauce is really yummy.” She declared.

 

The group then turned to look at me expectantly. “Are you not going to try it, Reg? It tastes better than it looks.” Ji Hyo asked gently.

 

“It looks like an alien got freaky with a water balloon.” I answered grumpily.

 

“Got freaky?” The actress repeated.

 

Oh, boy. How was I going to explain this?

 

“It's just a euphemism for the horizontal monkey dance.” I said, but she stared blankly back at me. So I tried again. “Got nasty?” But Ji Hyo only continued to stare blankly at me. Not comprehending a word of what I had just said.

 

Dang it!

 

Erin and Yan continued staring at me, amused grins on their faces. They looked about ready to burst out in laughter at my awkwardness and discomfort.

 

“! Have with! Goddamnit woman!” I snapped. My voice sounded shrill to my ears and I could feel my face turning red. Erin and Yan started chuckling evilly.

 

“Ai! That's all it was? It's just . And here I was thinking it was something unspeakable.” Ji Hyo chided while Erin and Yan collapsed in laughter.

 

“Aww... Reggie-poo is sooo innocent! Is our Reggie-poo feeling shy?” Erin teased. “Ooooh! She is! Look at Reggie-poo going all red in the face!” She continued, pointing across the table to me, bringing Ji Hyo's attention to me. Concerned, the actress gently placed a hand on my lap, trying to comfort me, but it only served to deepen the flush.

 

My so-called friends then broke out in hysterical laughter. “Reg! You are such a dork! But an adorable one. You're adorkable!” Erin laughed. Yan chuckled heartily, while I hung my head in embarrassment. How was I ever going to get a girl when I'm so socially inept? Girls want confidence, cockiness.

 

“Come on, girls. Don't laugh at Reg! I think it's sweet and cute.” Ji Hyo said, jumping to my defence. “Her dorky side is quite lovable.” She added, before blushing lightly, belatedly realising the implications behind her words.

 

My mouth dropped open. What did she say?

 

“What I meant was, that her dorky innocence is something that is rare these days and thus, valuable. People nowadays are so easily seduced by money and power. And technology has facilitated this. With a click of the mouse, we can find what we are looking for. Instant gratification. No one really stops to think anymore.” She explained. She then turned and smiled softly at me. “I like that with Reg, there is still old-fashioned chivalry, thoughtfulness. That innocence and bashfulness.”

 

I blushed at the compliment. Avoiding her eyes, I turned my attention to the glass of water on the table and drank quickly, hoping the cold water would help cool me down. Yan nodded in agreement. Smirking, Erin turned to me. “Well, I still think that maybe all Reg needs is just to get laid!” She quipped.

 

Just kill me now.

 

While my friends high-fived each other and laughed hysterically, Ji Hyo shook her head, smiling wryly. Leaning over to me, she whispered, “I'm sorry, I tried to get them to stop teasing you. But perhaps I only made it worse?” She ended sheepishly.

 

I shrugged. “It's alright. I'm used to it. These idiots just enjoy taking the mickey out of me. But I loved that you tried.” I finished honestly. This time, it was her turn to blush.

 

The rest of our order arrived soon after and the foolish banter slowly died down as we started on the spread before us. Knowing that the actress enjoyed having rice to go with her soup, I took a heaped spoonful of rice from my bowl and placed it into hers. She looked up at me in surprise. “Reg?” She started.

 

I grunted in response. “Eat. You've gotten too thin.” I instructed gruffly. She smiled thankfully at me. I turned away to to hide my blush. “If you fill up on rice, it just means more seafood for us.” I added. Ji Hyo shook her head while my friends smirked at me knowingly from across the table. Grabbing a scallop from the grill, I tossed it onto their plates, knowing that having food always shuts them up.

 

After dinner, I told Erin and Yan to head back first. I was going to fulfil my promise to Ji Hyo. “You guys go ahead first. We're going to see if we can get some cotton candy. Ji Hyo's been craving for some. I promised we'd have a look around after dinner to see if we can get any for her.”

 

Erin shrugged and turned to leave after bidding us good night. Yan smiled at Ji Hyo before grabbing me. Excusing us, she pulled me aside. “Reg! What are you playing at?” She snapped.

 

“What?! I have no idea what you are talking about.” I growled, irritated.

 

Yan glared at me. “Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about! Are you trying to woo Ji Hyo?” She asked aggressively.

 

It was the furthest thing on my mind and I felt like my intentions had been impugned. “Wow. Do you really think that lowly of me? That I'd take advantage of a woman at her lowest point?” I retorted. Yan appeared taken aback by my hostility. Taking a step back, she waved her hands in the air, but I continued. “Yan, y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter